How often should I be weighing myself for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Like most have said, daily weighing gives you more data to work with. If you can do that without obsessing about the daily fluctuations go for it. It's all just a personal choice. I have made it part of my early morning routine and look forward to it.
  • allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once or twice per week first thing in the morning
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh every day. Always the same context: naked, first thing after toileting. If I drink a glass of water or coffee it's over until the next day...
    I personally like all the data. I take seven days data, throw out the highest number & the average I get is that week's weight. It shows a nice downward trend. Interestingly enough, weighing everyday is a personal habit that really jumps out on the national weight registry where people who have maintained their weight loss over time discuss their habits.
    Now, if I visit the doctor, as I did this week, and weigh myself fully clothed, fully fed, fully hydrated, I expect to weigh 4-5 lbs more than the fasted weight I collect first thing in the morning. But most of that 'weight' is just things passing through. I really think the fasted morning weight is the best marker for measuring loss over time.
  • davidmartinez66
    davidmartinez66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly, I don't get too high or too low if the numbers isn't what I want. Different things work for different folks. I do eat slightly different on the day before a weigh in, but other than that, I do not sweat it.

Enjoy your journey!

David
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I like being able to know my weight, and seeing how it fluctuates. I only record my weight once there is a loss.
  • ralexhou82
    ralexhou82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am weighing myself every day, and logging it every day. I am also using Libra App on Android to see the trend line. It's helpful!
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I like to weigh every day. Always the same context: naked, first thing after toileting. If I drink a glass of water or coffee it's over until the next day...
    I personally like all the data. I take seven days data, throw out the highest number & the average I get is that week's weight. It shows a nice downward trend. Interestingly enough, weighing everyday is a personal habit that really jumps out on the national weight registry where people who have maintained their weight loss over time discuss their habits.
    Now, if I visit the doctor, as I did this week, and weigh myself fully clothed, fully fed, fully hydrated, I expect to weigh 4-5 lbs more than the fasted weight I collect first thing in the morning. But most of that 'weight' is just things passing through. I really think the fasted morning weight is the best marker for measuring loss over time.

I completely agree with you. I'm the same way.☺
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily in the morning, etc, etc. as the person above me. I find the data useful. I tend to spike and then drop down lower, and spike and drop in my weight loss. There's a pattern. It's nice to see it so I don't get too discouraged and know when a pattern emerges that doesn't fit the norm.

That said, I also use a tape measure, so if the scale doesn't seem to budge I check in with my buddy the tape measure and see how things are going. If the measurements are down, I don't worry to much. But I am a data hog. I think it's in my blood as a scientist. You should see the excel tables and graphs I've made with it all. Especially now that I have a fitness device (garmin vivofit2). So many steps! So much data!
  • kristinajeang
    kristinajeang Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Daily in the morning, under all the same conditions! It's just what I like best! I record losses and it really helps me keep on track and work towards my goals. Most times it fluctuates, but that ends up keeping me more motivated!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    For the last month or so I've weighed myself just about every day.
    I like to see the fluctuations, I know that's a normal part of life and it takes away the "big deal" aspect of only weighing in once a week/fortnight/month and judging success or failure based on that single number.
    I log my weight in the apple health app, and it's good to look back over the last month and see how the numbers are trending.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Just weighing yourself may not be enough to lose weight. You may want to eat well and exercise too. But to lose weight you will have to get on and off the scale a lot of times. Maybe put it on a chair to make it harder to get on???