Bruises from exercise?

Options
Hi everyone,

I went for a walk on the beach the other day for about 1 hr & 15 mins - this is not abnormal for me as I usually can walk for a couple of hours without any problem. I would say the pace was slightly faster than leisurely.

There was nothing abnormal about this walk but I was feeling sore in my upper thigh/hip region after. It was the same type of soreness one would get when they've done exercise after a long time or if they've done something excessive. 2 days later I noticed that I have a couple of bruises (on both legs) in that same area that I was feeling sore.

I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience or have info to help. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Replies

• Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Saddened that no one replied... :-(
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you could have bruised yourself from walking, unless you walked into something/fell down/hit yourself?

If you are bruising easily, this could be a sign of an iron deficiency. However, I also find that I tend to bruise more easily when eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the bruising. But if you mean walking on the sand as opposed to the sidewalk or pavement or boardwalk I am not surprised that you are sore. I find running on sand much more difficult than road running.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I bruise like a banana--but there's always an "insult" that I can trace-- bumping into the edge of a table, kicking myself in the shin during Zumba, even bruised the inside of my wrist once banging on a pickle jar trying to open it! But I can't say I've every bruised just from exercise without there being some "thump" involved.
  • ummibrahimk
    ummibrahimk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bruising is related to blood platelets. Having a low platelet count can lead to bruising. When platelets are low bruises seem to appear "out of nowhere," but there is almost always some sort of contact... bumping into a door, bumping a hand into something, etc.

Iron deficiency/anemia in general does not lead to bruising because oxygen levels in the blood are not related to the platelets/bruising directly. However, those who are low in platelets often become anemic because they will bleed more prior to clotting.

@Canuckgirl77 If you have other bruises appear, or petechiae (small red dots that appear on the skin when platelets are low) you should definitely consult a doctor. If these bruises are a one time deal, perhaps you ran into something at that height (counter? table?) and forgot about it. Good luck.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Do you take any medication, prescription or otherwise?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I used to get mystery bruises like that. In my case, it turned out to be from carrying twelve packs of sodas in from grocery shopping. I was hitting the outside of my thighs just right to leave matching marks without really noticing the damage.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You bumped yourself elsewhere, the bruising hadn't shown up yet, and the walking aggravated it. It could've happened getting out of the car or something else mundane.
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!

@kathrynjean_ I totally didn’t think about the iron deficiency - I am severely anemic but have never experienced bruising before (without having bumped into something).

@Aed0416 – I was walking on the paved pathway, but I know what you mean about walking on sand. It takes much more effort to go the same distance.

@rosebarnalice – I agree, there’s usually some kind of “thump” involved, but I can’t for the life of me remember doing anything like that. I find it strange that the bruises are on both legs, in the same location.

@ummibrahimk – thanks for that info about platelets and oxygen levels! You must be right – there must’ve been a counter that I contacted a bit too hard. I will look out for more bruises or petechiae now that I know about those.

@Cherimoose – I take synthroid and iron supplements. But I have been on these for years.