Anyone with a hypothyroid problem here?

Options
cassandranken
cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone. I recently fell off the wagon for 2 months and now I'm back. I recently was prescribed Prozac again so I'm feeling better, but not still 100%. Mentally and emotionally I feel better, but physically I'm still exhausted 24/7. I explained to my doctor that even back when I was a teenager, I've been requiring much more sleep than normal just to function. Normally I need 16 hours, but I can get by on 10 if I need to. Preferably, though, 20 is what I really want. It's been as high as 30 though.

Other symptoms I've experienced are: dry skin (had eczema as a child. Mother has psoriasis, I do too on my elbows), dry hair, weight gain, always cold (to the point where my--ahem--nipples sometimes turn white and burn--I'm not pregnant and don't have any kids either),brain fog, feeling like my arms and legs are made of lead, irregular bleeding, sluggishness (takes me MUCH longer than normal people to wake up), brittle nails, etc. Also my grandmother had an autoimmune disease but I can't remember the exact name (she died when my mom was a small child)

I mean that's just some of it. My doctor wants me to go get a blood test to see if anything could be going on. I honestly don't want anemia or a thyroid problem, but part of me almost hopes that's what it is, because I'm only 26 and even though I regret it later, when presented with the option, I think I would be content to sleep my life away. I want kids someday, and I don't think that's possible with my energy level right now.

I was also wondering, does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could ask about if all my results come back normal?

Replies

• cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. He said it would check everything--so unless you need a special tests for those, I would assume so.

Wasn't aware excess iron could cause that, too.

I just hope we find out it's something other than be me being lazy. :/ because that's pretty much what I've been told my entire life.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I don't eat perfectly well I take a multivitamin.
    Is that something you would consider?
  • the_running_fox
    the_running_fox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and was diagnosed at age 10. Those symptoms definitely sound like me if I forget to take my pill for a few days. If that's your diagnosis, don't worry! It's as simple as taking a synthetic T4 pill every morning to rid yourself of almost all the symptoms. You'll feel better almost immediately.

I agree with other comments about it possibly being a vitamin deficiency. If that's the case, the cure is usually just as easy—taking vitamin supplements. See what the results are and what your doctor recommends, but to me it sounds like you'll probably have an easy solution.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with hypothyroid. I have the auto immune disease which is hereditary but my family have all tended to run hyper.

Not sure how long I've had it. I had been putting my tiredness down to having glandular fever 8 years ago (which I think is mono in other parts of the world). I had many of the other symptoms but again I am not exactly sure when they started. I have 3 kids so I had experienced brain fog, though after my last one who turned out to be a terrible sleeper baby brain just sort of stayed. Again I out it down to not getting a full nights sleep and thought it was part of life after having kids.

I tended to make sure I slept extra as there were links to having glandular fever and developing chronic fatigue if you continued to push yourself. I am not sure how chronic fatigue is diagnosed but that could be another possibility.

I think you really need to wait for your results and see what he has tested for and what your results are. Chances are the obvious ones that people here will suggest the dr will have tested for. If they all come back normal then ask for suggestions once the obvious are ruled out. But continue to push for testing if they come back normal. I ended up self diagnosing my issue and had to ask the dr for the test. She did it only because I pushed, she fully expected normal results and was quite surprised when they didnt come back normal. Even then her advice wasnt very good, on a follow up blood test I ended up seeing a different dr who was more concerned with my symptoms rather than just looking at the lab result on its own.

• juliavac
    juliavac Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was having awful symptoms like you are experiencing. My mom had noticed when I was 11 years old that my neck was a bit buldgy and she knew my symptoms so she took me to the doctor. They told me I had Hashimoto Hypothyroidism. I definitely suggest going to the doctor. Without the proper medicine you will not get better
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've got hypothyroidism and I was diagnosed in my mid-twenties. I had all of the same symptoms - sleeping to excess and really struggling to get up even after 12 hours of sleep, massive weight gain, sluggishness, major brain fog, etc.

The thyroid regulates all your hormones so it can mess with many, many functions in your body. I lost more than half of my hair and the texture completely changed. My skin became excessively dry and my metabolism totally changed. My body temperature was always difficult to manage and my regular periods became completely unpredictable.

Once I was put on thyroid replacement, things drastically changed. They won't get "cured", but they'll be heaps better and you'll be able to lead a normal life.

I hope your tests give you the answers you need.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Obviously needing that much sleep is not normal. It is surprising to me that you have not yet investigated what is going on. Whatever it is, let your dr do any tests needed. Why torture yourself about all the "what ifs", and struggle with no energy, when you can have an answer and figure out how to deal with it? Whatever it is, you already have it and are suffering, knowing what is wrong will only help you treat it. There is no need to worry about it, just let the dr run the standard tests, then see if further investigation is needed.