Best and worst foods for weight loss

Options
I apologize if anyone has already posted this, but I found it fascinating! The headline is a bit sensational & I'm sure there are other variables that need to be taken into consideration...but I digress. Score 1 for food quality versus food quantity?

Worst food offenders (pounds gained for every additional serving per day over four years):
1. French fries (over three pounds)
2. Potato chips (1.69 pounds)
3. Potatoes (1.28 pounds)
4. Sugar-sweetened drinks (one pound)
5. Red meat (0.95 pounds)
6. Processed meats (0.93 pounds)

Best foods for your waistline (amount of weight gain prevented for every additional serving):
1. Yogurt (-0.82 pounds)
2. Nuts (-0.57 pounds)...interesting that a food so calorie-dense is on this list!
3. Fruits (-0.49 pounds)
4. Whole grains (-0.37 pounds)
5. Vegetables (-0.22 pounds)

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/23/study-the-best-and-worst-foods-for-weight-loss/
http://www.fitsugar.com/Top-Foods-Make-You-Fat-According-New-Study-17989550#read-more

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thank you for posting.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Potato's are not a bad food. They are actually very high in nutrients, i can not understand why so many people will avoid eating a potato but will eat some lollies.

Eat a small baked potato with some salad.... it will not cause you to gain weight!!

Stop eating processed crap!

:) yes they are higher in calories and higer carb - but you can find ways to fit it into your calories with out making them a fattening food.

Feel sorry for the humble potato!! lol
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Ha, i totally agree. Potatoes alone are not bad at all. They have even less calories than whole grain pasta.
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I saw that on ABC yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I stared throwing all the crappy stuff away. My momma was not pleased.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    I saw that on ABC yesterday, and I'm pretty sure I stared throwing all the crappy stuff away. My momma was not pleased.
    I saw it too. They said that although fruits and potatoes have sugars, fruits have fiber, which doesn't spike your blood sugar as potatoes do...
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Potato's are not a bad food. They are actually very high in nutrients, i can not understand why so many people will avoid eating a potato but will eat some lollies.

Eat a small baked potato with some salad.... it will not cause you to gain weight!!

Stop eating processed crap!

:) yes they are higher in calories and higer carb - but you can find ways to fit it into your calories with out making them a fattening food.

Feel sorry for the humble potato!! lol

I agree! Natural foods are fine! I rather eat a potato than processed pasta...although I do love my pasta! LOL
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh and scrub the potato and just cut off the eyes and eat them skin and all! Tons more nutrients!
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I can live with avioding everything on the 'bad list' except an occasional potato and a good steak, LOL. I am finding that moderation is very important! I just talked to a runner who does the 24 hour runs and he says he eats baked potatoes. I think he might be a little crazy (distance runner) but he recommends potatoes!