Cooking meat stuff

Options
Probably another noob question, but should I weigh meats before or after their cooked for logging?

I know resturaunts weigh food prior to cooking, but I wasn't sure how that works best for logging my intake.

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It depends on the entry you're looking at, but most are based on uncooked weight. Others might say cooked or roasted or something indicating differently.
  • chrisso802016
    chrisso802016 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mostly concerned with things like chicken or steak for either lunch or dinner.

Thanks!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food cooked. Chicken, beef, pork...I'm not eating it raw so I don't see how the raw weight would be relevant.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    I weigh my food cooked. Chicken, beef, pork...I'm not eating it raw so I don't see how the raw weight would be relevant.
    Because you are still eating the same piece of meat but it will weigh less once cooked (assuming grilled or not otherwise cooked in liquid). Plus different methods of cooking introduce or subtract liquids so you won't have an accurate weight for the meat itself.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Whichever way you do it just make sure the food you search says that in the name. Example: the raw chicken I use says 4oz =___cals(I forget). So you can use that entry if you weigh out 4 oz raw and cook and eat that. If you buy raw meat the calories are pretty much always raw weight. Meat loses water, etc in cooking and weighs less after. I do bulk cooking and split it into portions. So I disregard my chickens label, cook all my chicken at once (in a skillet or oven, no added fat or calories), cut it up after cooking and weigh it out in 3 oz portions. Then I log it as "Baked Chicken Breast USDA" 3 oz.

Sounds confusing but its not, just make sure if you weigh raw, log raw. If you weigh cooked, log cooked.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »

The raw weight would be relevant to the raw entry in the database.