Yoga

Options
hjy319
hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
I am trying Yoga in the morning for the 1st time, any advice for a newbie would be great.
Like shoes or no shoes, if no shoes socks or bare feet. I won't even get into clothing, I am just going in y usual tee shirt and streach gym pants :ohwell:
Thanks

Replies

• brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yoga mat. Socks.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yes, having your own yoga mat is a must! I personally like going barefoot if I'm at home or wearing soft dancer/ballet shoes if I'm out. Something i wish I'd known when I started yoga: choose a thin, spongy mat that's not too thick (it's easier to work with), and when you're finished, wipe down your mat with an antibacterial wipe to keep it clean. Have fun! Yoga is awesome!!
  • miss84
    miss84 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Iv only done it once, my instructor asked for no socks.
    I realy enjoyed it, and was sore a couple of days after, so you do get a work out! Im planning on getting into it... let me know how you go!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Main thing is to be comfortable,ages since I did yoga but it was always in bare feet with a yoga mat and some instructors reccomend you bring a towel for certain stretches,best of luck its really nice enjoy yourself!!
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    With your t-shirt makes sure it isn't too loose unless you don't mind flashing your belly when you do the poses that have you bending over like downward facing dog. Avoid t-shirts or tops with hoods too as these flop down when you bend over and can get annoying.
  • hjy319
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice, I will let you know how it goes. :)
  • hjy319
    Options
    I totally loved yoga. I can for sure see wearing a different shrit next time, the tee shirt drove me nuts, but its all I had in my gym bag.
  • miss84
    miss84 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What sort of carlories do you burn doing yoga? Does anyone know?
  • kbarrera76
    Options
    Maybe it depends on which form you practice.

Hatha Yoga is the only one I found on here, its 230 calories for one hour under cardio exercises.

The form I practice is Vinyasa, and I think I burn more than that.

I love Yoga!

I find it comforting to use two mats and dont wear socks. the clothes that work for me are sports bra, fitted tank and fitted stretch pants.

I hate it when my shirt or pants are loose because its distracting.

I hope you continue Yoga!

Here is an awsome site ....

http://www.yogatic.com/

Namaste!