What do you eat before and after exercising?

Options
kitinboots
kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
I walk between 10 and 20k handing out fliers every night for my work. I have an hour or two between finishing and going to bed. I'm just not sure what I should eat before, during and after I work.

Replies

• pauterson
    pauterson Posts: 65
    Options
    I have some days that I get home late and one of the things that has worked for me has been a lean protein shake. My favorite is BSN Whipped Vanilla Desert protein, or a protein bar, OR - sometimes just have a very small meal 150-200 calories with NO bread/pasta/rice/potato carbs. Just protein and veg.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    protein and protein
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I work out early in the morning, the only thing I have is black coffee. After working out I eat egg whites and or a protein shake, depending on how hungry I am.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    After I workout I drink P90X Results and Recovery Formula it high in protein to help repair muscle.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm exercising right after I eat I have a vita muffin (100 calories) and a banana (105 calories) that way my stomach isn't empty and I don't feel like Im going to pass out when Im done.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Carbs before (nothing too complex and nothing that will burn off too quickly) to give energy and protein (not too heavy) afterward to feed and repair your muscles. WOW! That's a lot of walking! I find an English muffin with Turkey bacon, and a slice of cheese to be perfect for my start,and after a cup of Cottage cheese.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Nothing before and water afterwards then protein about 30 min later!
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Before: Banana, greek yogurt

During: Water, pieces of a granola bar at intervals. (nothing that fills your stomach too much. If you are only walking, you should be ok with heavier snacking)

After: Protein shake. Meal if it's meal time.
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'd say make sure to keep your protein up. Obviously red meat has it, but I feel like it's too heavy. Fish is really good for protein. I often do cottage cheese since it has just as much as red meat if not more. I add an herb to it, like basil or garlic and eat it with a multi-grain low-calorie cracker. String cheese (mozzarella) has 6g of protein per serving. Obviously you want to throw in fruit, veggies, and grains, but protein-heavy foods tend to give you more energy and make muscle building easier (which I'm sure your legs are getting from all that walking, good for you!)
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't eat before working out. But if I do have breakfast I have hard-boiled or scrambled eggs, or oatmeal.

After working out: "Six Star Pro Nutrition Elite Series Professional Strength - Whey Protein + Plus Triple Chocolate", 1.5 scoops. Or any other brand of protein mix as long as it's chocolate. Sometimes I blend it with a 1/2 cup of rasberries or a banana. :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Before and during weights:
    - Biotest Surge Pre-Workout
    - Biotest Mag-10
    - Biotest FiniBar (only when I'm not trying to cut bodyfat)

After (depends on how much time I have between home and work)
    - 4 to 5 hard-boiled eggs (during low-carb diets)
    or
    - 3 egg whites and 2 eggs with yoke & 1 serving of slow cook oatmeal
    or
    - Muscle Milk
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    Before i eat low carbs (bread, usually), absolutely no fast sugar! After i have chocolate milk to help repair my muscles!
    there's a lot of info on the web about the benefits of choc. milk after workouts.

"Chocolate milk's combination of carbohydrates and high-quality protein first made researchers take notice of a potential exercise benefit. (...) Milk also provides fluids for rehydration and electrolytes, including potassium, calcium and magnesium lost in sweat, that both recreational exercisers and elite athletes need to replace after strenuous activity. Plus, chocolate milk is naturally nutrient-rich with the advantage of additional nutrients not found in most traditional sports drinks. Penny-for-penny, no other post-exercise drink contains the full range of vitamins and minerals found in chocolate milk. "
  • JNick77
    Options
    Before i eat low carbs (bread, usually), absolutely no fast sugar! After i have chocolate milk to help repair my muscles!
    there's a lot of info on the web about the benefits of choc. milk after workouts.

"Chocolate milk's combination of carbohydrates and high-quality protein first made researchers take notice of a potential exercise benefit. (...) Milk also provides fluids for rehydration and electrolytes, including potassium, calcium and magnesium lost in sweat, that both recreational exercisers and elite athletes need to replace after strenuous activity. Plus, chocolate milk is naturally nutrient-rich with the advantage of additional nutrients not found in most traditional sports drinks. Penny-for-penny, no other post-exercise drink contains the full range of vitamins and minerals found in chocolate milk. "

Wow, that's really interesting actually. Now I have an excuse to drink choc milk!
  • LORELLI
    LORELLI Posts: 24
    Options
    My nutritionist recommends either 1/2 a banana or 1/2 a protein bar. At first I thought only half was rediculous, but if you're working out really hard it's much safer to not eat a whole one! lol But it helps for energy to have a little something.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know people say not to workout on an empty stomach, but in the mornings, when i workout i don't eat anything before then, i might drink a couple cups of coffee but if i do that i have to wait an hour or two before exercising. But if i eat in the mornings before i workout then i can't workout.
  • CountandBaxter
    CountandBaxter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My hunger killer lately has been almonds and I'm usually hangry* before I work out.

I eat .5 oz before and .05 oz after.

*hangry= so hungry that you're angry
  • celiamj
    celiamj Posts: 38
    Options
    i said low carbs, meant slow carbs!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning so I usually have a greek yogurt, sometimes with a 1/2c cereal mixed in. Sometimes I have a banana also- especially on my harder workout days.
    Between my 2 classes I have 1/2 serving of almonds & 1/2 serving of raisins. I eat the other 1/2 on my way home from the gym. after I get home I usually have a glass of chocolate milk. Sometimes a string cheese.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I workout in the morning so I usually have a greek yogurt, sometimes with a 1/2c cereal mixed in. Sometimes I have a banana also- especially on my harder workout days.
    Between my 2 classes I have 1/2 serving of almonds & 1/2 serving of raisins. I eat the other 1/2 on my way home from the gym. after I get home I usually have a glass of chocolate milk. Sometimes a string cheese.

Greek yogurt has a good mix of nutrients, how does the dairy work for you? Do you cramp up at all? Just curious.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Before: nada

After: protein