Eating Healthy While Traveling for Work Full time

Options
Hey MFP Peeps!

I just started working full time as a travel trainer. Meaning, I'm in the airport/plane - Monday, Wednesday and Friday and leading training session on Tuesday/Thursdays. Eating on the road is hard. With all the fast food that is out there and after traveling all day.

Any suggestions or advice you have that works for you?

Thanks!

Replies

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am traveling now visiting family, and feel like I am spinning trying to make sure I stay with my way of eating. I packed a few things and thank God I did. I brought some cheese and a container of mixed nuts, which worked great when everyone else eating chips. My best add were the Keto Bars (bought off their website) which saved my *kitten* when we went to a spring training game and the stadium food choices were: crap, double-crap, or ultra-crap. (They are like a portable fat bomb and good, just don't except candy bar taste though). I ate a tasteless hot dog no bun too, sad choice since I really want to avoid processed foods
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Almond baggies. Beef jerky, protein bars, fiber one bars, apple.
    Find out what you can take on a plane.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    With a few exceptions, you can find healthy options almost anywhere. Most places have nutritional content on their menu, online or in the MFP database. In the absence of that, avoid foods that are fried and covered in dressing/sauces and you should be OK.

Here are some of my go-tos:

Any of the burrito places (Chipotle, etc.) - burrito bowl minus the sour cream and cheese.
    Panda Express - Teryaki chicken, half steamed rice/half steamed vegetables
    Panera - any of the power salads
    Pei Wei - Sushi and lettuce wraps
    BBQ - Focus on the meats, avoid fries, slaw, potato salad

Also, I usually pack a variety of protein bars, almonds and kashi bars when I travel.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    1. Pack your own food when you can. Obviously this isn't going to work for a lot of your meals, but perhaps you could pack a healthy lunch to take with you on the day you fly out? That's one less meal eaten out and one more opportunity for you to control what you're eating and make sure it's healthy.
    2. Keep logging, even if you're eating out, to make sure you're staying on track.
    3. If possible, spend your time waiting for flights being active. Walk around instead of sitting while you wait for boarding to start.
    4. Make opportunities to be active once you get to your destination. Try to fit in a workout at the hotel, or choose a restaurant that you can walk to for dinner.
    5. Look ahead at menus online (if you know where you'll be dining) so you can choose something that fits within your calorie allowance. Trying to choose a healthy meal when you're on the spot and seeing the menu for the first time can be challenging.
    6. When eating out, don't be afraid to ask for customizations to your meal. Grilling instead of frying, sauces or dressing on the side, substituting vegetables for a more calorie-dense side dish.
    7. Fast food places have healthy options available! Do some research and find a few healthy items at each of the places you think you'll visit frequently. Then you'll always have a go-to item you know will work with your calorie allowance. I'm thinking salads (easy on the dressing and cheese), grilled chicken (maybe only eat part of the bun?), chili or other soups. If you do choose one of the higher calorie options at a fast food place, compensate by choosing something lighter later in the day and adding some extra activity if you can.

Good luck!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I used to travel and would share your concerns. I have noticed a newer trend of restaurants advertising healthy meals. Not just a meal or two but the whole menu. Besides the ideas above try searching where your at for healthy menu restaurants.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for food that will make it through a TSA checkpoint? Food you can buy past security? Or food to eat once you're out of the airport?
  • ckam78
    ckam78 Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I travel too and it is hard! Sadly chain restaurants have the most nutrition transparency & portion consistency so they have become my friend. Sushi is also workable starting with miso, edamame and either a roll or sashimi. Good luck - just 1 healthy decision at a time and if you feel off track on one just regroup for next!