I'm bored with my food...

Options
I'm new to MFP, and I am loving it. I'm doing well with my diet and exercise, but I am really bored with the things I've been eating. I don't cook a lot and I am not what you would call an "adventurous" eater. I usually have 5-6 mini meals thoughout the day but I am gluten sensitive, so I feel really limited...and bored! Any suggestions for simple dishes or alternative "snacks"? I've got 493 calories left for the day and I'm hungry, but nothing I can think of sounds good. Help!

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Anything protein based or veggies with fiber are great.

Protein snacks are greek yogurt, cottage cheese, almonds and protein bars with 17gr or more of protein.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, and I am loving it. I'm doing well with my diet and exercise, but I am really bored with the things I've been eating. I don't cook a lot and I am not what you would call an "adventurous" eater. I usually have 5-6 mini meals thoughout the day but I am gluten sensitive, so I feel really limited...and bored! Any suggestions for simple dishes or alternative "snacks"? I've got 493 calories left for the day and I'm hungry, but nothing I can think of sounds good. Help!

You can have 8oz of grilled or baked chicken breast for that. Or fish, or 6oz of lean meat. Yum yum!

Or a protein shake... but who wants that when they could have a steak!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i never buy the same fruit two shopping trips in a row. that helps me not get so bored.
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :) When I'm bored with my food, I usually check out my MFP friends' food diaries for inspiration. It's a great place to look for inventive, healthy foods. I'm not sure what you already eat, but veggies and fruits always make great snacks. I also really like laughing cow cheeses, perhaps pair it with a gluten free cracker of sorts? Hummus is pretty delish too and goes well with veggies (or really anything).

Best of luck on your journey!
  • hrolf
    hrolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and his entire family are gluten intolerant so even though I am not, he is here all the time and I shop like I am gluten intolerant. It's really easy to find foods that are gluten free now but you might have to do a little more prep than you normally do.

Some really good snacks that are gluten free are guacamole or salsa with whole grain tortilla chips (corn). Here's how I make guacamole:

2 avacados (slice in half around the pit, then score the insides and scoop out with a spoon)
    1 tsp lime/lemon juice (I squeeze a quarter of a lime into it)
    cut up red/white onion depending on preference, I probably put in 2-3 tbsp but it's your preference
    salt/pepper to taste
    Cilantro optional, and I add chilula for just a little heat which is good for ciculation

My salsa is made with:
    1 large tomato
    1 green pepper
    1/4 to 1/2 cup steamed corn
    1/4c or less of red onion
    1/2 cup of chopped up cilantro
    salt/pepper to taste

Those are some very tasty snacks, avocados do have a lot of fat but it's a good kind and it's also really good for your skin

We make a lot of brown rice pasta, yesterday we had some with grilled seasoned chicken, cooked asparagus and onion with a garlic olive oil sauce. Bob's red mill has gluten free oats so you could make oat meal with peanut butter/bananas/strawberries/etc. and they also have gluten free pizza crust mix, which is kind of a task but it's fun and the pizza is always delicious.

Okay I am CLEARLY procrastinating. Back to work.
  • juliejf22
    juliejf22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great information! I am absolutely going to try your recipe...and add some of those items to my shopping cart!
  • juliejf22
    juliejf22 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've never tried hummus, so I'll be testing that one out really soon!
  • princessdi41
    Options
    i had an apple cut up an dipped in a low fat apple turnover yoplait yogurt. filled me for at least 3 hours and could not have been more than 250 calories all toll.