Bulking advice.

Options
I'm 6'0, ~64kg and I've always been relatively skinny.

I bulked during summer and went close to 70kg within 3 months but then had to stop, but I'm back at it again.

I take half a serving of Serious Mass in the morning then the other half later that evening, sometimes I'd have 1.5 serving throughout the entire day. (Since I wake up at ~7AM and sleep at ~11PM). I've also recently started using Creapure creatine capsules which i have noticed prolonging my energy in the gym.. and sometimes making my muscles rock hard after a workout??

According to MyFitness, I should be consuming just under 3,000 calories per day. (Considering 1 serving of Serious Mass is ~1500 carlories) but on some days due to having breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper I go over this intake by up to 800 calories some days.

Do you think the bulk will go okay or does anybody have any recommendations

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    why are you taking serious mass if you don't mind me asking?
  • BenMcCabeo
    BenMcCabeo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I frequently dont have time for breakfast most mornings so take a shake instead and similar at night time since I want to get to bed as early as I can I some times have a shake instead of staying up to make food.

I used it during summer as I used to struggle to eat 3000 cals of food but at the moment I use it because I still have lots of it at home.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ben,

My advice would be to gain an understanding about nutrition and, more specifically, the subject of bulking. Sounds to me like your understanding thus far is that you need to eat a lot to gain size, and you're not wrong but there's more to it than just eating a lot.

Bulking 101: you need a caloric surplus to put on mass (muscle and fat). The amount of surplus will determine how much excess fat you put on, NOT muscle. A 10% surplus is what I would recommend. Your first step is to find out how many calories you require on average to maintain your current weight. Aka, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Once you find that, you'll want to increase your maintenance calories by ~10%, and set your macros.

There's plenty of good material on this website that I can lead you to. Read the below thread, or simply just the original post to get a decent understanding of how to approach a bulk. If you have follow-up questions ask and I'll make sure to check back, as will others I'm sure. Hope to hear back!

The basics to bulking:

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ben,

My advice would be to gain an understanding about nutrition and, more specifically, the subject of bulking. Sounds to me like your understanding thus far is that you need to eat a lot to gain size, and you're not wrong but there's more to it than just eating a lot.

Bulking 101: you need a caloric surplus to put on mass (muscle and fat). The amount of surplus will determine how much excess fat you put on, NOT muscle. A 10% surplus is what I would recommend. Your first step is to find out how many calories you require on average to maintain your current weight. Aka, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Once you find that, you'll want to increase your maintenance calories by ~10%, and set your macros.

There's plenty of good material on this website that I can lead you to. Read the below thread, or simply just the original post to get a decent understanding of how to approach a bulk. If you have follow-up questions ask and I'll make sure to check back, as will others I'm sure. Hope to hear back!

The basics to bulking:

this...
  • BenMcCabeo
    BenMcCabeo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't know a whole lot about it you're right, will give that a read and follow along - cheers!
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    ^ No problem, mate.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    btw bro,

2 tbsp kraft peanut butter
    10grams raw almonds
    12 oz Milk 2%
    2 scopp whey protein
    1 banana

Thats 768 calories - 80 protein 54 carbs 27 fats (the good kind)

Put in 2 bananas or 20 grams almonds and you can get to your 1500 pretty soon.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - you are also going to need to get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine, or if you are a little bit more advanced something like PHUL, Wendlers, etc, which are intermediate programs...
  • rnelson88
    rnelson88 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Save your money on the supps and eat whole foods.
  • WilsonFilson
    WilsonFilson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great article here about bulking the right way: http://www.muscleforlife.com/bulking-up/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Ben,

this...

+2.... this ^^^^
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    Great article here about bulking the right way: http://www.muscleforlife.com/bulking-up/

Muscleforlife.com is one of my favorites. Great article for reference, Ben.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It takes a surplus of 3500 calories per week to gain +1lb a week. So that means +500 calories OVER your TDEE to gain 1lb per week - you should be lifting during this time so that you build mostly muscle and minimal fat. If you're afraid of creating too much fat, do a 'slow bulk' at +250 calories for +0.5lbs per week.

sjohnson_1 is giving you golden advice.
  • BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Deca
  • Antdowell
    Antdowell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Deca

At 600mg test 500mg plus 50mg of dbol a day
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I hate to diet, so I prefer to bulk conservatively as well. I'm gaining a pound per month, but I'm also 45 and maybe am putting on .75 lbs muscle and .25 lbs of fat per month. I'm progressing quite quickly still in strength gains.

I'm eating about 200 cals above maintenance.