Its not fair!!

Options
I was 118 before I had my daughter 4 months ago, I weighed 201 at delivery. I was skinny but not fit. Now I'm totally into fitness and I'm really overachieving. I'm just now starting to lose weight. But this is what upsets me... when I measure my neck, waist, thigh and arm is says my bmi is 22 which is normal. But when I measure my hip and belly button area it blows up and says im obese. I already feel fat and gross but the damn thing has to make it worse. I had a big baby.... yes I have a ton of baby belly fat with love handles. And to top it off I have cellulite on my thighs and butt! Its driving me nuts and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry for ranting just need opinions

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    BMI is not related to body measurements. BMI is based purely on height and weight. Do you mean body fat?

You put your body through a lot in 9 months and it's only been 4 months since you delivered. Cut yourself some slack. Focus on making improvements, but don't stress yourself out over things you can't immediately change. These things take time.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. Your body goes through some crazy hormone shifts during and after pregnancy. The weight will come off, just relax and enjoy your baby. Follow the MFP guidelines for weightloss and find people on here that have been in your place and succeeded.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    BMI is based on weight and height, not measurements.
    Realistically, you almost doubled your weight in 9 months. Most of it, minus about 15 lbs or so, maybe 20, it is body fat. You cannot get back in time and do things differently, so accept it will take time and dedication to get back to where you used to be. But of course it can be done. Just not in a few months.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    They say eating too much sugar causes a bigger waist so maybe look at that? I had a weird tummy for ages after giving birth - maybe water retention. After all our hormones get messed about a lot during all this! Maybe try eating anti inflammatory foods like celery, radish and salads and lots of water.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I agree with others. It took 9 months to put all that weight on. It will take at least that amount of time to get it off , if not more! And remember that your body has a lot of other things going on as well on the inside in addition to what you are doing outwardly - so that factors in to it.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Yup...others said it already, you need to be patient. It's hard enough to lose weight if you're on your own, but you have a new baby too...Give yourself time. Be consistent with your workouts, be thoughtful with your eating, and have faith in yourself. It will happen in time. And congratulations, new mama!! xo
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was 118 before I had my daughter 4 months ago, I weighed 201 at delivery. I was skinny but not fit. Now I'm totally into fitness and I'm really overachieving. I'm just now starting to lose weight. But this is what upsets me... when I measure my neck, waist, thigh and arm is says my bmi is 22 which is normal. But when I measure my hip and belly button area it blows up and says im obese. I already feel fat and gross but the damn thing has to make it worse. I had a big baby.... yes I have a ton of baby belly fat with love handles. And to top it off I have cellulite on my thighs and butt! Its driving me nuts and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry for ranting just need opinions

Eat at a deficit. Lose weight. Areas that have fat on them get smaller. Areas with the most fat are going to take the longest to shrink.
    Put your height, weight and daily activity level into MFP. Set a weekly weight loss goal. If you have 50+ lbs to lose 2 lbs a week is okay. If you have less than 50 lbs to lose then 1 lb a week is more reasonable. If you have 20 lbs or less to lose then .5 lb a week is reasonable. You will be given a calorie goal. Eat that much. If you are breastfeeding you should probably eat more to account for that. Search for threads about breastfeeding. Log as accurately as you can. A food scale is useful for increasing your accuracy. Eat in a sustainable way.
    If you exercise, log your exercise. Eat a portion of those calories. You don't have to exercise for weight loss but it is good for your body.
    Be consistant and patient and you will lose weight.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring this?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You do realize it takes more than 4 months for your body to recover from pregnancy, right? It takes time for all the stretched bits to settle back.

You're overreacting?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused as to why this "isn't fair"?
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ignore BMI, it's a waste of time for individuals. Just focus on taking your measurements and weight.. You will see improvement over time and do good!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    But you just had a baby?

How is this not fair?

Also, did your doctor at any time during your pregnancy mention your rate of weight gain?
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    4 months postpartum? Things take time.
    118 to 201 is quite a gain in 9 months.
    Cellulite needs to worked off with calorie deficit and strength training. Even some "thin" people have cellulite FYI.

Stop looking at the problems and start your solution.

My 3rd child is 9 months old today - the belly will be your biggest problem area most likley- cant do anything about that. Dont worry about BMI or Body Fat. Start logging and weighing/measuring all your food. Get moving. Pick up some weights and go!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The stretch marks and fat rolls of mothers are battle scars from well-fought victories.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The stretch marks and fat rolls of mothers are battle scars from well-fought victories.

Right on.