Prepping for a 10K

Options
Okay MFP peeps, I am seriously considering signing up for a 10K race which is to take place on May 29. I have never run 10K before but I (fast) walk long distances regularly (about 7k/hour for an hour at lunch) and I have done some treadmill running (I can do about an hour on the treadmill at a 10k per hour pace). I have about 8 weeks to prepare for this and have been consulting with colleagues who run, the running store in my city and the internet for training plans. I am coming to you runners for ideas, suggestions, tips and advice. Help a sister out!!!!

Replies

• Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are already ready! Sign up. Even at 10k distance many will walk the whole thing. If you can do 10k in an hour on a treadmill you can likely match that in a race.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I always use Hal Higdon's plans for Half and Full Marathons, but he also has plans for shorter distances including 10k ( http://halhigdon.com/training/51121/10K-Training-Guide ). The 10k plans are 8 weeks. Read over his description of the training plan so that you understand how it is structured and how you should approach it as far as pacing yourself during training.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Your body is capable of SO much more than you think. You're ready. Gradually build up, increasing your distance by 1 mile/week. Stretch a TON and take rest days when you need them. Be careful... before you know it, you're going to want to do a half marathon...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're ready to do this! If it's your first race (I can't tell from your post), make sure you have some way to pace yourself (I didn't have a watch when I ran my first race, which I had trained for on a treadmill, and I went waaaaay too fast in the first half and burnt myself out).
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Since you walk a lot already, maybe look into a Jeff Galloway walk/run program?

2nd recommendations for Hal Higdon 10k plan. Also there is another program called Bridge to 10k (it's the sequel to Couch to 5k).

Make sure you get good shoes. My feet will tolerate a lot of shoes walking that will mess me up for running.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you currently are able to run a 10k on the TM. No plans needed. You are ready to run a 10k. If speed is what you want to improve, then sign up for a beginner 10k program. Not to much time left before your race to improve without risking injury though. Gradual progression over several months is more ideal. It's your first race. Just run to finish and have a great time! :) Then register for another or bump up to a half marathon. Use plans for the next race (s).
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Do what you're doing. Finish the race and take note if your time. Then choose a plan to improve on that time by a couple minutes.

Micoach app has some great training plans.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Probably the biggest challenge will be to transition to running outside, find a training plan (I'll second Hal Higdon's ones) and lace up your runners