Picky eaters

Options
Hi guys! I'm starting my weightloss journey with the bf and I know the key to successful fat loss is a healthy diet. I have no problem with it but Its hard to get my bf to eat more veggies because he hates them... Any ideas on how to get him onboard????

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you are cooking, cook food for yourself that fits your plan. If he doesn't like it he can eat what he likes. Lots of people have to plan for different personal tastes within families. Maybe he'll get on board, maybe not. Men tend to need and want more meat, so there's that.

Trying to get someone to eat what you think he should eat will not end well!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Tell him to grow up and that sneering at vegetables is the behaviour of a toddler....
  • rowynn2016
    rowynn2016 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Tell him to grow up and that sneering at vegetables is the behaviour of a toddler....

Believe me I tried that already! lol.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    rowynn2016 wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »

Believe me I tried that already! lol.

No you havent....
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you are cooking, cook food for yourself that fits your plan. If he doesn't like it he can eat what he likes.

This. If he doesn't like it, he can make something else. He's an adult, not your child. No need to cater to or try to convince him.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm starting my weightloss journey with the bf and I know the key to successful fat loss is a healthy diet. I have no problem with it but Its hard to get my bf to eat more veggies because he hates them... Any ideas on how to get him onboard????

actually the key to fat loss is a reasonable calorie deficit with adequate protein and some form of resistance training.

Veggies are a low calorie food that are a good filler, but aren't required for fat loss.

They have lots of micros our bodies like for health but are not necessary for fat loss.

as for convincing your BF to eat them...whatever he is a grown man and can make his own decisions.
  • rowynn2016
    Options
    So general consensus is to stop playing mother hen. Got it :-)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yeah let him eat what he wants.. you don't have to eat vegetables to healthy. It's a great place to get your carbs and energy tho. Have you tried to grill them? I grill virtually all my vegetables.
  • rowynn2016
    Options
    Yeah I got the george forman but usually I steam them. Quicker.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have a family of picky eaters and my husband is the worst of them all. I always just try to make at least one things at each meal that everyone likes and they can eat the things they like and not eat the things they don't like. If they aren't eating a well balanced meal then that is not my problem.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are good for you, but not necessary for weight loss. He just needs to eat fewer calories than he burns, regardless of the source of calories.

Grilled vegetables are pretty amazing. But when I say grilled I mean over a flame, on the BBQ pit. Best way to eat vegetables!!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

Yes its quicker, but I bet its the texture that he doesnt like - and the lack of flavour! Try roasting carrots for example - completely different experience than boiled! Or roasted brussel sprouts - roast (or grilling) caramelizes the natural sugars in the veg and makes them sweeter and crunchy too! I love grilled asparagus, or even sauteed in a little butter/oil.
  • rowynn2016
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

Yes its quicker, but I bet its the texture that he doesnt like - and the lack of flavour! Try roasting carrots for example - completely different experience than boiled! Or roasted brussel sprouts - roast (or grilling) caramelizes the natural sugars in the veg and makes them sweeter and crunchy too! I love grilled asparagus, or even sauteed in a little butter/oil.

That is a great point...
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that a lot of the "picky eaters" in my life have just never experienced vegetables in an appetizing way. They're used to veggies from the can or ones that have had the life steamed out of them. There are so many fun ways to cook veggies and so many different veggies to cook that there's endless ways to eat them. I would start looking for new recipes or cooking techniques.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My deal was onions and garlic. I could cook just about any vegetable (spinach, broccoli, squash, potatoes, yams, kale / collards / mustards / chard, carrots, peas, green beans, whatever) as long as I married the cooked vegetable with some caramelized onions and garlic. Now, I just love all vegetables. Vegetables and meat... I could eat them all day long.