Best diet for fat loss?

Options
Hey everyone, just wondering what everyone would recommend in terms of eating for loss. I've been getting a lot of protein, and keeping my carbs under 20G. Thinking about adding more fats (Avocados)? Thoughts? Also keep my calorie intake about 1,000 less per day (1,500)

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Best diet for fat loss -- calorie deficit, period.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    The best diet for fat loss is the one that you can comfortably do long term. Nothing will work if you won't stick to it. Just about anything will work if it works for you and keeps you at a deficit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    As a 19 year old male you should be eating far more than 1500 calories. As to what is best for fat loss, anything that will help you stick to a moderate calorie deficit (unless a person has more than 80 pound to lose 2 pounds a week is too big a deficit) which for most people is more like 1 pound a week and helps you learn how to eat properly. You 1500 calories, the minimum for a male, note--minimum, that means it is for those who are inactive older people, not a 19 year old. If MFP is giving you are 1500 calorie goal, you have set your weight loss goal at too aggressive a rate.
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I've been able to stick to this deficit where I'm eating only 1500 calories. I enjoy it, only issue is my strength training suffers a bit. But if my goal is to lose fat, is this too severe of a deficit?
    People say I'm doing more harm than good.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying now. I'm not a body builder- I would suggest asking this in the forums on fitness and exercise where you are more likely to find those that have bulked and then cut. They would be better equipped to answer your questions and draw from their own experience.
  • rileysowner
    edited April 2016
    Options
    tw807278 wrote: »

I've been able to stick to this deficit where I'm eating only 1500 calories. I enjoy it, only issue is my strength training suffers a bit. But if my goal is to lose fat, is this too severe of a deficit?

You will not see the effects right away, that is how malnutrition works. It is cumulative. You are going to lose a lot of lean mass primarily from muscle, but some from organs as well, you will have issues with energy levels develop, and it is likely if you keep at it long enough that your nails will get brittle and you may have hair lose as well. I am 5'10", will be 50 in a few months and I lose at a little more than a pound a week eating 2100 calories a day, and I don't exercise a lot. Even the 1500 calories you have as a goal, should be increased for your exercise calorie burns as you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. As I said, it is the minimum, and long term losing by using the minimum as your starting point is not doing yourself any favors.

Losing fat is done with a moderate deficit, not a large one.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Best diet is a calorie deficit, and eating your calories instead of deciding on your own 1k calories is good (not saying you're doing this, but people have).
    Throwing into the mix is strength training and I would do a search on the forums as I've seen this before and if I recall it goes that you can't build muscle on a deficit, but I'm in the deficit only camp, my strength training is just to help retain muscle.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Depends on how long you want to keep the fat off. Unsustainable, fad diets work for short term weight loss.

If you want to keep the fat off for life, you have to eat in a way you can keep doing for life. 1000 to 1500 calories for a normal sized male (not a dwarf of somesuch) is not sustainable
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

You will not see the effects right away, that is how malnutrition works. It is cumulative. You are going to lose a lot of lean mass primarily from muscle, but some from organs as well, you will have issues with energy levels develop, and it is likely if you keep at it long enough that your nails will get brittle and you may have hair lose as well. I am 5'10", will be 50 in a few months and I lose at a little more than a pound a week eating 2100 calories a day, and I don't exercise a lot. Even the 1500 calories you have as a goal, should be increased for your exercise calorie burns as you are supposed to eat back your exercise calories. As I said, it is the minimum, and long term losing by using the minimum as your starting point is not doing yourself any favors.

Is my deficit too large do you believe? I'm eating anywhere from 1450-1500 daily. I just want to lose my fat as quick as possible, and i figure a higher deficit would work to lose it.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Depends on how long you want to keep the fat off. Unsustainable, fad diets work for short term weight loss.

If you want to keep the fat off for life, you have to eat in a way you can keep doing for life. 1000 to 1500 calories for a normal sized male (not a dwarf of somesuch) is not sustainable

My goal is to lose a lot of fat. I'm currently 214, 6'3, and near 19-20% body fat. I want to lose as much fat as possible, and then learn to maintain my weight or possibly begin to bulk and build muscle. I'm a gym rat, and always looking for ways to improve my self. I've just come to a point where I'm not happy with the way I look, and want to change. I have too much stomach fat, and I want to be able to enjoy the summer and life without it.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options

My goal is to lose a lot of fat. I'm currently 214, 6'3, and near 19-20% body fat. I want to lose as much fat as possible, and then learn to maintain my weight or possibly begin to bulk and build muscle. I'm a gym rat, and always looking for ways to improve my self. I've just come to a point where I'm not happy with the way I look, and want to change. I have too much stomach fat, and I want to be able to enjoy the summer and life without it.

At that rate, you'll lose a fair amount of muscle as well. Even if you somehow lost that 60lbs, you'd lose some of the muscle that would have made you look better if you'd hung onto it. Imagine getting rid of that stomach fat, only to find you had no abs worth showing off because you'd lost those as well!
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

At that rate, you'll lose a fair amount of muscle as well. Even if you somehow lost that 60lbs, you'd lose some of the muscle that would have made you look better if you'd hung onto it. Imagine getting rid of that stomach fat, only to find you had no abs worth showing off because you'd lost those as well!

What do you recommend I do? It's hard for me because I always seem to hear different things, and I end up being stressed and confused and free balling it.

• jsidogen
    jsidogen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey bro, 1500 seems a bit much. How much do you weigh?

What do you recommend I do? It's hard for me because I always seem to hear different things, and I end up being stressed and confused and free balling it.

• heth67
    heth67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have just logged my breakfast for today, baked avocados with egg and straight away I get a message pop up saying to stay under the fat goal, but this dish, which I got from the my fitness web site, is using all my fat allowance. Does MFP take into account good fats?
  • jsidogen
    jsidogen Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

This is what I recommend, for the next week or so, weigh yourself every day (record weight every day) under the same conditions (I like weighing as soon as I wake up after using the bathroom, naked). Consume ~2000 kcal per day. After the week is done, compare your weight from the week before. If you have gained weight, I suggest cutting about 300 calories per day which comes to about 2100 calories per week. But I know for a fact you are more than likely lose weight considering your current weight, if that's the case, if you lose about 1.5 pounds I would consume about 2200-2300 kcals per day, if you lose about a pound, I would consume ~2000 kcals per day. I would definitely up the carbs, you need that energy for your training, consume them before and after and then you can ease up on the carbs the rest of the day. I would keep your fats at about 75-90g, and your protein at about 135-150 (going off lean body mass given the stats you provided)
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    jsidogen wrote: »

This is what I recommend, for the next week or so, weigh yourself every day (record weight every day) under the same conditions (I like weighing as soon as I wake up after using the bathroom, naked). Consume ~2000 kcal per day. After the week is done, compare your weight from the week before. If you have gained weight, I suggest cutting about 300 calories per day which comes to about 2100 calories per week. But I know for a fact you are more than likely lose weight considering your current weight, if that's the case, if you lose about 1.5 pounds I would consume about 2200-2300 kcals per day, if you lose about a pound, I would consume ~2000 kcals per day. I would definitely up the carbs, you need that energy for your training, consume them before and after and then you can ease up on the carbs the rest of the day. I would keep your fats at about 75-90g, and your protein at about 135-150 (going off lean body mass given the stats you provided)

Okay thank you! Is eating the 1500 calories bad tho? I've been able to stick to it, and am seeing results on the scale each week. Can I continue eating 1500 for a quicker fat loss do you believe?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Okay thank you! Is eating the 1500 calories bad tho? I've been able to stick to it, and am seeing results on the scale each week. Can I continue eating 1500 for a quicker fat loss do you believe?

What everyone is trying to tell you is that the faster you lose weight, the more likely you will lose a lot of muscle as well, and you will probably end up skinny fat. And it is a LOT harder to put muscle back on than it is to hold onto it in the first place. Also the faster you lose, the better chance you will burnout and rebound hard, undoing a lot of that work. Why would you risk any of that?

Get a food scale.
    Log everything accurately and consistently.
    Eat the calories MFP gave you.
    Lift heavy.

You will look better in a couple of months and will have a much better chance of getting to your goal weight and staying there. Rushing in an effort to get super fast results is a big reason why so many diets fail. Best of luck.

ETA: I am a petite female and 20 years older than you, and I eat more than 1500 cals.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

at 1500 there is potential for muscle loss as well...not just fat loss.

I always say your goal should be to eat as much food as possible while still losing a "reasonable" amount of weight.

I mean you will always lose a bit of muscle that can't be helped but lessen it with enough calories, enough protein and some form of resistance training.

I mean you area 19 year old man...I am a 43 yo woman and I eat more than you and still lose.

My son who is 22 and is losing and getting fit eats about 3k a day. Mind you he trains 4-5x a week.

He is down to about 205 aiming for 185-190 which is a good fighting weight for him (he does BJJ)
  • rileysowner
    edited April 2016
    Options

Is my deficit too large do you believe? I'm eating anywhere from 1450-1500 daily. I just want to lose my fat as quick as possible, and i figure a higher deficit would work to lose it.

Yes, 1450-1500 is too large. I understand the desire to have the fat come off quickly, but realize your body can only burn so much fat in a day. The amount it can burn off is directly related to how much fat your are carrying on your body. By that I mean, the more fat you have, the more the maximum your body can burn off in a day is. The less you are carrying, the less the maximum fat your body can burn off in a day is. If your deficit is too large what happens is your body will burn off the maximum fat it can, then make up the difference with other energy sources (lean mass).

I would suggest putting your information in here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Realise the number you get will is different than MFP uses since it will take your deficit from your average calorie total including exercise while MFP takes the deficit from your average calorie total not including exercise. Using the calculator I linked to, the 20% deficit is considered quite aggressive and if you don't have a lot of fat to lose you might want to consider a lower percentage cut. I am guessing you will be surprised by the numbers that come up. They will not be exactly what yours will be, but you will be quite close either burning a little more or a little less.

With an increase in the calories you are eating expect a jump in scale weight, not because you are putting fat on, but because you are replenishing your glycogen stores and that needs water in your muscles thus adding weight. I would also suggest that at your height and weight, a measuring tape will be more helpful than the scale. I would not weigh yourself more than once a week, perhaps even only once every two weeks. Photos are also helpful.

EDIT:
    Since you posted your information, I entered it for you.

Your BMR (the calories your body burns to simply keep living) is 2222 calories a day. You should not be eating below this.
    Your average daily calorie burn to maintain your weight figuring 1-3 hours a week of light exercise is 3055
    At a 20% cut, remember that would be very aggressive 2444

As you can see, eating 1450-1500 gives you are calorie deficit far bigger than one that would in any way be considered healthy. You will take off weight quickly, but most of that will be lean mass, not fat. IN SHORT, eat more. Probably 2500.

As I said, I am almost 50, only 5'10" don't exercise a lot, and I eat 2100 calories a day and am losing at a little more than a pound a week. You as a 6'3" 19 year old could eat far more than me because your metabolism has not slowed with age like mine has, and your workout being a gym rat.

Finally, when I was 19 I did what you did. It took off weight, but most of it was muscle, and I never had success getting the body I wanted. Now at 49 going on 50 I see where I went wrong mainly by not eating the appropriate amount. If I had done so I could have saved the muscle I had, and put on more like I always wanted to. Now it is so much harder to put on. Take your time, eat at an appropriate deficit, not a huge one, especially since you don't really have a lot to lose. Frankly at 6'3" you could probably do a much smaller deficit and focus on a good lifting program and even see some muscle gain, not as much as you would in a surplus, but at 19 your hormones and body are in about the best place they can be to put on muscle.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options

Yes, 1450-1500 is too large. I understand the desire to have the fat come off quickly, but realize your body can only burn so much fat in a day. The amount it can burn off is directly related to how much fat your are carrying on your body. By that I mean, the more fat you have, the more the maximum your body can burn off in a day is. The less you are carrying, the less the maximum fat your body can burn off in a day is. If your deficit is too large what happens is your body will burn off the maximum fat it can, then make up the difference with other energy sources (lean mass).

I would suggest putting your information in here http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Realise the number you get will is different than MFP uses since it will take your deficit from your average calorie total including exercise while MFP takes the deficit from your average calorie total not including exercise. Using the calculator I linked to, the 20% deficit is considered quite aggressive and if you don't have a lot of fat to lose you might want to consider a lower percentage cut. I am guessing you will be surprised by the numbers that come up. They will not be exactly what yours will be, but you will be quite close either burning a little more or a little less.

With an increase in the calories you are eating expect a jump in scale weight, not because you are putting fat on, but because you are replenishing your glycogen stores and that needs water in your muscles thus adding weight. I would also suggest that at your height and weight, a measuring tape will be more helpful than the scale. I would not weigh yourself more than once a week, perhaps even only once every two weeks. Photos are also helpful.

EDIT:
    Since you posted your information, I entered it for you.

Your BMR (the calories your body burns to simply keep living) is 2222 calories a day. You should not be eating below this.
    Your average daily calorie burn to maintain your weight figuring 1-3 hours a week of light exercise is 3055
    At a 20% cut, remember that would be very aggressive 2444

As you can see, eating 1450-1500 gives you are calorie deficit far bigger than one that would in any way be considered healthy. You will take off weight quickly, but most of that will be lean mass, not fat. IN SHORT, eat more. Probably 2500.

As I said, I am almost 50, only 5'10" don't exercise a lot, and I eat 2100 calories a day and am losing at a little more than a pound a week. You as a 6'3" 19 year old could eat far more than me because your metabolism has not slowed with age like mine has, and your workout being a gym rat.

Finally, when I was 19 I did what you did. It took off weight, but most of it was muscle, and I never had success getting the body I wanted. Now at 49 going on 50 I see where I went wrong mainly by not eating the appropriate amount. If I had done so I could have saved the muscle I had, and put on more like I always wanted to. Now it is so much harder to put on. Take your time, eat at an appropriate deficit, not a huge one, especially since you don't really have a lot to lose. Frankly at 6'3" you could probably do a much smaller deficit and focus on a good lifting program and even see some muscle gain, not as much as you would in a surplus, but at 19 your hormones and body are in about the best place they can be to put on muscle.

Thank you very much! It means a lot!!