No pain no gain...really?

Options
2 days ago I had leg day and just like everyone else I pushed it not thinking about the consequences I'd face the next day. I am sore as heck and walking,squatting, just about everything hurts.My question is how long will this last and is there anything I can do to relieve such pain. I am working out again today, and yes it's leg day once more...should I continue or give my muscles time to get better? Thanks for reading. Have a great Friday

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How new are you to these exercises?

If this is pretty much brand new and you're still really sore - to the point of pain - today, skip the workout for at least one more day. Do some walking and/or yoga and work other muscles.

Some general achiness isn't too uncommon, but if it still hurts to just move around and you're really stiff, you're probably better off waiting and doing some active recovery today.

~Lyssa
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Generally what makes soreness go away is continuing to do the things- I bet you if you do the workout- and just moderate yourself - you'll be fine.

As long as it isn't PAIN injury- just soreness- you should be okay- I would do the workout. You'll losing up and feel a lot better when you're done.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Love me some DOMS.
    Rest day then walk it out and sqaut it out
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any good strength program that has a leg day every 2 days. Which program are you following? Also, what is your overall goal?
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It's normal, especially when it's a new activity. When I first did squats I could barely sit the next day! Now even if I take a couple weeks off I feel very little to no pain when getting back to it.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH! Stretch before you workout, stretch after and stretch when you can. I made this mistake when I started and I regret it! Now that you know what muscles your exercise is working you should spend time stretching those muscles before you start and then to the same stretch routine (or add more) after your workout. Also stretch when you're at home. I get pains in my legs (most workouts are legs) and I stretch my muscles before I go to bed. If you're doing this as a class, you can always stretch more on your own before and after.

If you don't know what type of stretches to do, use pinterest. You can find all kinds on there.

The other thing to help is drink lots of water. I don't know the science behind this but I know personally that when I drink more water after a workout I feel better.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any good strength program that has a leg day every 2 days. Which program are you following? Also, what is your overall goal?

Sheiko
    Smolov
    20 rep squat program
    MadCow

all lots of legs- lots of days.

although- to be fair- they aren't really "leg days" it's squat- dead- squat- usually.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    stretch after you work out. static stretching can lead to injury. dynamic stretching is good though

i think a day or two of discomfort is not abnormal, but pain-no

when i teach yoga, i make sure to tell them that discomfort might be normal but pain is not our goal
  • Dora_Campbell
    Dora_Campbell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for for the help. I have to admit that I didn't drink enough water after my workout or stretched afterwards so that is probably the problem. I have been stretching throughout the day so I am getting a little more movement in my legs. And yes, it was more squats but I added the weights to help with my leg/butt muscles. Once again, thanks
  • Dora_Campbell
    Options
    @rileyes thanks for the video! Will definitely do!
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    All of what was said above, lots of water and stretching. You either tore a lot of muscle fibers or have a serious build up of toxins from the damage in your muscle fibers. If it's too bad, take a Motrin or some other pain reliever to take the edge off. Having pain the first time you push it on an exercise is not unusual but be careful you didn't injure yourself if the pain doesn't start to subside or go away. I wouldn't do the second day if you're still sore. Give your legs a chance to recover. If not, you won't be able to push them as hard the next day and may hamper any muscle repair that's going on because you're just doing more damage.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Sheiko
    Smolov
    20 rep squat program
    MadCow

all lots of legs- lots of days.

although- to be fair- they aren't really "leg days" it's squat- dead- squat- usually.

Yep, saw this article on T-Nation:
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/bench-squat-and-deadlift-how-often

From the article:
    During the last 10-15 years, many coaches have brought high frequency training (HFT) into the spotlight. HFT has a broad definition, though. It can consist of utilizing the same exercise(s) anywhere from 3-5 sessions per week to 15-20 sessions per week. The powerlifting approach is generally closer to 3-5 sessions whereas some Olympic weightlifting coaches recommend up to 15-20 short training sessions per week.

The difference has to do with the mostly concentric nature of weightlifting movements like the clean and jerk or snatch, which are less demanding on the central nervous system. Heavier lifts, like the deadlift, which also have an eccentric component (unless you drop the bar) take longer to recover from, so in most cases this means fewer training sessions per week for movements with a strong eccentric component.

He also mentions this approach works with beginners to very advanced individuals. The article has a template showing how one could adjust weights on each training day, but not specific exercises, etc. More of a technique than a canned program.

Probably more for someone to implement working with a knowledgeable trainer or used by someone with considerable experience developing their own program.

• Dora_Campbell
    Options
    @Packerjohn thanks. This is very helpful.
  • RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Another thing that you might find useful is to use a foam roller after your workout. I started using one when I was working with a personal trainer. She showed me how to use it and it made a serious difference in how sore I was the next day or so. We would use the foam rollers then do a lot of good stretching after each session. I now own one myself and love it.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm sore up to five days after a leg workout. Especially when I add new exercises into my routine. Try walking on the treadmill at a quick pace for ten minutes on leg day, at the end of your workout. It has helped me.