high uric acid, advised low protein diet, how do i go about it while trying to loose weight?

Options
well i have high uric acid, i have been advised to go low on proteins, but most weight loss tips are to cut carbs and increase protein intake, how should i go about my plan then

Replies

• RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat. after recent gout attacks I was told by my doctor to get my uric acid levels down and switch to a low protein diet. not all proteins have the same effect on uric acid levels, mostly meats. I cut my meat intake by 75% and added eggs and greek yogurt to get my overall protein to 50% of what it was before.

as for cutting carbs, you might want to replace some of your starchy carbs with fibrous ones. fibre helps in weight loss and is slow digesting so is less likely to get stored as bodyfat.
  • beckadaisy
    beckadaisy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What type of diet are you currently doing? What are your main sources of protein?

My personal recommendation: eat more fruit and veggies! They will keep you full longer. I personally do about 70% carbs (if not more) and 20% protein (but probably less). I feel great! I work out a ton, I'm never tired. It might take your body a bit to get used to it, but it is worth it in the long run. I'm not saying you have to go vegetarian or anything, but cutting meat out will lower your protein. Vegan sources of protein (nuts, beans, etc) are enough to keep your body functioning great. Fun fact, calories are calories. 4 kcal from each gram of carbs AND protein. It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're not exceeding your calorie requirements. Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any questions.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do not need to cut carbs or fat. Weight loss happens by cutting calories. Lower protein to what your dr recommends, and make sure your calories are not above your target.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Add in nettle tea which is good for reducing uric acid crystals and is a great zero calorie tea.

Cheery juice has shown anecdotally positive for gout also.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I average about 18% of my calories from protein (ranges anywhere from 13%-20% - but almost never go higher than that). I easily lost about 60 pounds back in 2011 and have kept it off ever since. You definitely DO NOT need to do low carb/high protein to lose weight. It's a myth.