Type of bar to use for deadlifts?

Options
I've been watching a lot of videos on deadlifts. I would like to try doing them but the gym I go to doesn't have a long (I'm sure there is a name for it) barbell laying around on the floor. They have a bar in the squat rack and 2 stations where you can do bench presses and the bars are able to be removed. Then there is a station with shorter bars for I think curling or something. You can tell I'm not versed on the terminology yet.

So do you have to always use a long bar or can you use a shorter straight one? Does it matter?
Thanks!

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You could use the shorter 5 foot one to deadlift with, but I'd only recommend that for SLDL or RDL if you have too. If you want to deadlift conventional or sumo, then go for the 7+ foot barbell. Reason for this is, as you progress up in weight, your deadlift form will become increasingly more important.

You might as well as learn the movement pattern with lighter weights and with the bar you will eventually be using.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I use the one in the squat rack since I do squats first. (Provided there is no one waiting to actually do squats, of course) :wink:
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you both!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you can deadlift anything, even a Kettlebell or dumbell. But a standard deadlift bar around 7 feet , a little more narrow in diameter and missing the knurls in the middle so it doesn't scrape up your chins.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Most people just use the bar that's in the squat rack. You may want to check to make sure your gym allows deadlifts. Use bumper plates if they have them.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Most people just use the bar that's in the squat rack. You may want to check to make sure your gym allows deadlifts. Use bumper plates if they have them.

Really? They aren't allowed in some gyms?
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »

Most gyms allow you to deadlift, but some have designated areas. I know my gym doesn't like it when guys are pulling like over 400lbs without some sort of platform underneath. But that rule's more in place to preserve the floor lol.
  • KDar1988
    Options
    I go to a very small gym and thinking now, there is no room to do them except in the small walking space between the cable and smith machine. Maybe if nobody is there I could try, sometimes I'm there alone. Thanks!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You could probably deadlift in the squat rack, just remove the safety bars.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You could probably deadlift in the squat rack, just remove the safety bars.

This. Especially if it's not very busy. Or if no one is benching take a bar from there and find a space to deadlift.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    KDar1988 wrote: »

Yeah. Read any post that mentions Planet Fitness. The LA Fitness in my community has hex shaped plates which suck for deadlifts. They don't say you can't but they don't make it good either
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a trap bar I like using that for deadlifts. The weight is centred over your hips.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you can deadlift anything, even a Kettlebell or dumbell. But a standard deadlift bar around 7 feet , a little more narrow in diameter and missing the knurls in the middle so it doesn't scrape up your chins.
    If this is happening you are going waaaay too light. ;)
  • KDar1988
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    If this is happening you are going waaaay too light. ;)

LOL...I didn't catch that til now!

and thanks everyone! I'll give it a shot!