Should I bulk/cut or maintain if I am skinny-fat?

Options
stephaniejmnz
stephaniejmnz Posts: 30 Member
Hi there! So I'm a 22 yr old female. I want to start working out again and counting macros, but I can only go to the gym Friday-Sunday due to my school and work schedule.
I currently weigh 122lbs and carry ALL of my fat around my midsection. I've lost pretty much all the muscle I put on about a year ago when I actually had time to workout 5x a week.
After months of not working out and eating whatever, my midsection is worse than ever, but my legs have gone back to being tiny and so have my arms. :(
I am unsure of whether to bulk/cut/ or maintain however, and would love some advice! More than anything I want to gain muscle, especially in my legs, but my pesky tummy fat has been here for so long, and I'm quite tired of it.

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Is 120 lbs within the normal range for your height?
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    How tall are you? Is 120 lbs within the normal range for your height?

I'm 5'4"
    I'm actually 122, I should edit that!
  • Steve108815
    Steve108815 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd actually like to know the answer to this too... Been wondering about it. Like do you bulk, but I also want to cut to get rid of fat? I wonder if you have to choose one or if it's possible to do both at the same time maybe
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Instructions for the skinny fat (male or female). Figure out how many calories for you is maintenance. Eat that amount, if not *slightly* less. No cardio, unless you need it initially to get into better condition (endurance). Focus your training on heavy, compound (multi-joint, not isolation work, weight/resistance training (e.g. squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, barbell work in general, pull ups). Continually weigh yourself, take measurements, track your calories, and make adjustments now and then as needed. It will work.
  • Steve108815
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    Instructions for the skinny fat (male or female). Figure out how many calories for you is maintenance. Eat that amount, if not *slightly* less. No cardio, unless you need it initially to get into better condition (endurance). Focus your training on heavy, compound (multi-joint, not isolation work, weight/resistance training (e.g. squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, barbell work in general, pull ups). Continually weigh yourself, take measurements, track your calories, and make adjustments now and then as needed. It will work.

Thanks!! This sounds like pretty good advice and what I have generally been hearing. Cardio (Specifically running) is how I lost like all of my weight though and I love it. Do I really have to give it up completely?
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    when i lost weight i was somehow skinny fat I have tried the eat at maintenance etc didnt work ..what really worked its either choosing to clean bulk or cut ..yes if u cut being a skinny fat u will really skinny but thats for a short period..once u finish cutting start clean bulking by eating slighly above maintenance 200 to 300 calories and do cardio 3 to 4x week and lift heavy 4 to 5 x/week ..u will gain some muscle and some minimal fat ( thats normal ) then cut slowly to the weight u started from or a couple of pounds above it u will notice that u look different on that weight because u built muscle continue doing clean bulk and slow or moderate cuts till u are happy with how u look ..oh while bulking wait at least 6 month to notice a difference u should gain from 1 to 2 pound a month
  • Steve108815
    Options
    when i lost weight i was somehow skinny fat I have tried the eat at maintenance etc didnt work ..what really worked its either choosing to clean bulk or cut ..yes if u cut being a skinny fat u will really skinny but thats for a short period..once u finish cutting start clean bulking by eating slighly above maintenance 200 to 300 calories and do cardio 3 to 4x week and lift heavy 4 to 5 x/week ..u will gain some muscle and some minimal fat ( thats normal ) then cut slowly to the weight u started from or a couple of pounds above it u will notice that u look different on that weight because u built muscle continue doing clean bulk and slow or moderate cuts till u are happy with how u look ..oh while bulking wait at least 6 month to notice a difference u should gain from 1 to 2 pound a month

This also makes sense... I figured results would also take a while. Just takes patience then, I guess
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi there! So I'm a 22 yr old female. I want to start working out again and counting macros, but I can only go to the gym Friday-Sunday due to my school and work schedule.
    I currently weigh 122lbs and carry ALL of my fat around my midsection. I've lost pretty much all the muscle I put on about a year ago when I actually had time to workout 5x a week.
    After months of not working out and eating whatever, my midsection is worse than ever, but my legs have gone back to being tiny and so have my arms. :(
    I am unsure of whether to bulk/cut/ or maintain however, and would love some advice! More than anything I want to gain muscle, especially in my legs, but my pesky tummy fat has been here for so long, and I'm quite tired of it.

You need to concentrate on your diet, going to the gym 3 times in a week is absolutely more than enough as well, tbh it's mainly all done in the kitchen, 80/20 split in my opinion. If you are experienced with macro's then you have all the tools to get rid of your stubborn belly, it just takes time unfortunately! Good luck, keep smiling and keep going!
  • rontafoya
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks!! This sounds like pretty good advice and what I have generally been hearing. Cardio (Specifically running) is how I lost like all of my weight though and I love it. Do I really have to give it up completely?

No. But if running is what you are into, I recommend SPRINTS. I sprint sometimes, but usually do not have the energy because I work out so intensely and consistently with weights. Cardio such as jogging burns both fat and muscle and has likely contributed to your skinny fat physique. In my profile pic I was 47 and about 12-13% bodyfat and now I am down around 10%. No cardio. Just weights. I'm not saying other things won't work, or running won't work for you. I'm just saying, my recommendation WILL work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why don't you lift in maintenance? It's been awhile so you'll be able to get back to your lifts while being able to fuel your workouts, you might gain a little muscle/lose a little fat. You're in a healthy weight range. You can reevaluate in a couple months and decide on whether you're comfortable bulking. I'm 5'4" and started at 128lbs but think my body fat% was around 20.
  • Steve108815
    edited April 2016
    Options

No. But if running is what you are into, I recommend SPRINTS. I sprint sometimes, but usually do not have the energy because I work out so intensely and consistently with weights. Cardio such as jogging burns both fat and muscle and has likely contributed to your skinny fat physique. In my profile pic I was 47 and about 12-13% bodyfat and now I am down around 10%. No cardio. Just weights. I'm not saying other things won't work, or running won't work for you. I'm just saying, my recommendation WILL work.

I believe you. I have been thinking about making that change anyway. Will just be different. Thanks for your advice man!!
  • rontafoya
    Options
    I forgot to add--use progressive overload with your lifting to get stronger. That is key. Your body's adaptive response to heavy weight training is to get stronger and add muscle. My recommendation literally forces your body to build muscle, put carbs in your muscles (replenish glycogen) and burn fat as energy. It worked for me.
  • stephaniejmnz
    Options
    I forgot to add--use progressive overload with your lifting to get stronger. That is key. Your body's adaptive response to heavy weight training is to get stronger and add muscle. My recommendation literally forces your body to build muscle, put carbs in your muscles (replenish glycogen) and burn fat as energy. It worked for me.

What kind of workout routine/split do you recommend? I'm going to be eating at a slight deficit. (15% according to IIFYM calculator) my TDEE is 1818, so I'm eating around 1500+ with a focus on protein.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    If you have time during the week for an at-home workout, you could consider something like You Are Your Own Gym (body weight workout you can do at home).
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    But yes, I tend toward skinny fat too. I've gotten to goal weight and my belly fat has improved significantly but there's more there than I would like. I'm 5'7" and my maintenance range is around 130-131, give or take another pound or two. I'm recomping now. I just started a few weeks ago so no real progress to report yet except that I am getting stronger. :)
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    hey, I'm in almost the same exact situation as you ( our stats are almost the same) what I've been doing for the past 3 weeks is eat slightly lower than maintenence. my tdee is about 2000K so I'm eating average 1800.
    I'm also doing the PHUL workout routine. it's been amazing for me. I'm progressively adding weight to almost every exercise every week. my strength is coming back amazingly and I've been getting great results in my tummy area, glutes and arms.
    since you can only work out 3 days in a row, make sure you atleast progressively add weight to exercises but don't over train :s
  • angeladoyle3
    angeladoyle3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can soooo relate... I've lost 35lbs and now I'm skinny fat! My mid-section is my trouble area..but my legs are skinny. I'm getting ready to start weight training and looking to build my legs/glutes and overall have lean muscle mass evenly throughout my body while also looking to loose the midsection fat. I'm adding you now as a friend. Anyone please feel free to add me. I log food daily and will be updating progress photos of both my weight loss and muscle gains
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

No it doesn't. Cardio does NOT burn muscle. High calorie deficits and no resistance training is what lead to increased reductions in lean body mass and subsequent "skinny fat". Cardio just demands higher amounts of calories and there is nothing wrong with it (whether HIIT/LISS), as long as you are still progressive lifting and eating enough calories to offset the increase caloric expenditure.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Options

What kind of workout routine/split do you recommend? I'm going to be eating at a slight deficit. (15% according to IIFYM calculator) my TDEE is 1818, so I'm eating around 1500+ with a focus on protein.

That depends on how advanced of a lifter you are. If you are a beginner, a split is probably not the most effective approach. You would be better off doing a full body workout and then transitioning to a split. The below thread is a list of a lot of lifting programs. Many have several stages to get you from a beginner to intermediate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also, at 5'4 and 122, you are in the dead middle of your weight range, which would indication you probably have more fat to cut. So I would say, lift big, throw in cardio/HIIT if you want (especially, if you want more calories), moderate protein (probably around 100g a day) and a moderate deficit (1550 should be a good start).