Protein is way over, help!

Options
Is it really a bad thing when it comes to weight loss?
The last 3 days I have been under on everything except protein.
Like 18+ over. not sure how to cut it w/o adding fat and cal.

Replies

• Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Protein is not a bad thing. If it's only 18 over, then you are fine. The preset allotment for protein on MFP is really low anyway so I think you are fine.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    No, the protein setting here are low. You can raise your protein level manually. Mine is set at 100 grams a day.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    There's also been research showing people who eat more protein at breakfast will eat less the rest of the day. Keep doing what you're doing, as you're intuitively doing a great job!
  • booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    Protein is good... especially if you are doing any kind of strength training... it helps you to stay full longer and build muscle... muscle burns more calories than fat.. so you should be golden
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in with everybody else - it's really hard to OD on protein. It's great for building muscles and staving off hunger. Good stuff, that!
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    sweetie, protein is good! i TRY to get my protein in the negative numbers. if it means more carbs, so be it...they're good carbs :)
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The trainer at my gym recommends 4-6 oz of protein 3x/day for women [4-6 oz for men]. That being said, it's always a good idea to ask your doctor or a nutritionist if you're concerned. Too much protein can supposedly kill your kidneys, but how much that actually is for each of us I don't know.

I am always over on protein also. I do that by design. I have my stats set at : 40 protein, 30 carb and 30 fat. I am always under on fats.. though I do get nuts/nut butter/healthy oils and eggs in regularly. If I can keep my carbs "in check" by taking in more protein, I will. :) Plus, I've read that eating protein [say pnut butter] WITH a carb [an apple or pita bread] causes the carbs to be absorbed more slowly, keeping you from insulin spikes, crashes and feeling hungry in a short time. :flowerforyou:
  • JenniferRo317
    Options
    Thanks all! I was so confused thinking, things have not changed THAT much in 10 years, lol.

Baby steps. For now I am going to ignore the protein setting and stay under on the cal/fat.

So glad I found this place and thank you for tolerating my newbie questions!

What kills me is my cup of greek yogurt, man I love that stuff. 18g right there! And I like to have some P at lunch and dinner so I am not starving all day!
    Jenny
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    go over in protein and fiber.
  • msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for u. My bff swears by it and he just won a bodybuilding contest! He put me onto to Whey Protein...it's especially good for your body following a workout!
  • JenniferRo317
    Options
    I am not quite there and probably wont ever workout like I used to.
    I had a spinal fusion in my neck 2005, then 2 kids back to back 07/08.
    Right now I am looking for healthy and not going in the direction I am.

I need to regain muscle slowly and once I am strong enough I will move to something more intense.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this because I had exactly the same concern. I prefer to be over on protein than carbs because I do a lot of exercise and I think I need the extra protein to repair my muscles!

Thanks for everyone's answers on this - reassured me that I don't have to worry too much about it.

:happy:
  • mcc75
    mcc75 Posts: 72
    Options
    The protein is deffo low on here
    If you train/do some exercise you should have about a gram of protein for 1pound of weight so if you are bigger you can get away with way more protein
    keeps you fuller longer too
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I recommend manually changing your macronutrient goals from what MFP dictates you should eat. For me, their protein recommendation is miserably low with waaaay too many carbs.

But definitely echoing what everyone else said, going over MFP's measly little limit for protein is not a bad thing at all. It's actually a good thing because protein fills you up and can reduce hunger. It also helps repair muscles from exercise which means that you can burn more fat...cause more lean muscle takes more energy to survive than fatty tissue.

I hope what I said makes sense. It is nearing my bedtime and I think I am starting to speak jibberish, lol.