Healthy Diet and restaurants. Is it possible?

Options
How to lose weight and keep going out with friends from time to time? What do you eat in restaurants? How to deal with portions size? And for alcohol, what do you drink when gathering with friends in a bar?

Replies

• JessMN1974
    JessMN1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I always plan what I will consume if I know I'm going out. I look up the restaurant online - most places have menus and a lot have nutrition info.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I take a couple of strategies:
    1. I plan my meals accordingly earlier in the day so that I have the calories to enjoy dinner out with friends
    2. I will "save" calories by eating below my calorie goal earlier in the week (or not eating any of my exercise calories) so I can "spend" them on when I want to have a few beers and wings with The Gang
    3. I am proactive when the question "where do you want to meet" comes up---and I encourage my group of friends to choose locations where there are at least a few things on the menu where I can make reasonable choices
    4. I can't remember the last time I ate a full dinner plate by myself. For portion control, I will either split a meal with someone else or order an appetizer. Better yet, I'll order appetizers for the table, and then just eat a part of them
    5. I LOG WITH BRUTAL TRUTH-even when I'm not happy about it
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    1. I plan my meals accordingly earlier in the day so that I have the calories to enjoy dinner out with friends
    2. I will "save" calories by eating below my calorie goal earlier in the week (or not eating any of my exercise calories) so I can "spend" them on when I want to have a few beers and wings with The Gang
    3. I am proactive when the question "where do you want to meet" comes up---and I encourage my group of friends to choose locations where there are at least a few things on the menu where I can make reasonable choices
    4. I can't remember the last time I ate a full dinner plate by myself. For portion control, I will either split a meal with someone else or order an appetizer. Better yet, I'll order appetizers for the table, and then just eat a part of them

Number three is so important. In most situations, I find that people are perfectly willing to be flexible about where we're going to eat.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the same places, so I'm familiar with the menu. If not, I try to look it up ahead of time.
    Most restaurants have grilled chicken. You can ask for it alone, with a salad, or with a side of veggies/fruit of your choice, etc. If it's a place that serves breakfast, like Denny's for example, know that egg whites, oatmeal (sometimes), wheat toast, turkey bacon, etc. is probably available to you.
    Just don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
    I don't really drink ever, but if I was going to I would just make sure I planned for the calories ahead of time.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's really easy for me to get into trouble in a restaurant setting, so I just try make the best choice I can, and to eat slowly, drink a lot of water, and focus on the people I'm with more than the food.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Baked salmon, seasonal veggies for the sides and a cup of water with lemon is usually my go to. Most restaurants i.e. Apple-bees, Ruby Tuesday, Longhorn, will usually have that as an option on the menu. Stay far away from teh salads and dressings! The calories in those are RIDICULOUS! Look them up, about 1000cals +!!!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ask your waiter questions. Negotiate the menu. Don't want the battered and fried chicken? Can they make it grilled? Can you put the dressing on the side? Can I get it with no sauce? How is this cooked? Leave off the fried tortilla strips, no rolls, no butter, etc.
    I almost went over calories at Chili's after I sat there on their website with the nutritional calculator and when my pretty steak and asparagus showed up with fries, I ate a few and asked my waitress to take them away (the header of the menu it said "without fries", my fault for not asking her not to bring them). Remove temptation! To note, Chili's has a 6oz avacado sirloin that is delicious as is.
    If possible make the room for the extra calories or plan on getting in a good workout. :smile:
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I plan on going out to eat tonight; high on taste and easy on the calorie load to break my 24 hour fast.

Start of will a dozen raw oysters with red sauce. Move into a blackened shrimp salad as the main course. Will finish it off with a cup of iced chicory coffee w/ heavy cream.

I find the easiest way to stay true to my diet is eat as many whole foods as I can. For instance at a steak house I would get a salad with no dressing, sweet potato and a steak. A seafood place would be a grilled/blackened main course, boiled shrimp, steamed crab or a heaping pile of crawfish. If I end of going to a cafeteria, then I go with the cleanest food and stay away from the heavy sauces and the deep fried foods. I steer clear of the fast food joint and I don't drink (I have gout and most drinks just cause a flare up).

If you know where you are going, read the menu online and get a better idea of the calorie load before walking in the door. Being faced with an endless array of foods, the smell, the noise and your friends chowing down is a recipe for disaster (for the unprepared). Plan it out and stick to your guns. Good luck!
  • mll58
    mll58 Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Some types of restaurants are easier than others -- these are some of the things I might order:

* Japanese - Miso soup, seaweed salad, and sashimi -- Your scale may show higher the next day, but that's because Japanese tends to be very high in salt (so it's temporary).
    * Anyplace with good fish/seafood -- Sauteed/grilled/blackened whatever and double coleslaw...
    * Greek - Avgolemono soup and a chicken dish or salad (light on the feta)
    * Chinese - A bowl of hot and sour soup (and then nibble on the main courses)
    * Indian - Tandoori chicken, a little bit dal or channa, vegetable dishes without cream
    * Italian - A chicken dish, hold the pasta (like chicken picatta or cacciatore)

If I'm going someplace new, I'll usually try to scope out the menu first.

Oh yeah -- and don't forget to relax and have a good time --

Miriam in MA

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this is pretty much how I do it- I make sure there is a grilled meat I can eat and a salad and I'm safe.

Or I make sure I have plenty of buffer calories. I don't go out for food that often- so when I do I try to make sure I'm 1.) well aware I'm going out - and 2.) budget through the day to make sure there is space.
    Then I just go enjoy.
    You can go out to eat regularly and still stay on track- i'ts a little harder- but it's TOTALLY do able- when I wasn't doing wedding planning budget stuff- my BF and I would go out to eat almost weekly. Its manageable- might slow you down a little in the big picture- but totally manageable.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot, especially on the weekends (Subway AND Pizza Hut today). I always go on the restaurant's website before I go and figure out what will fit into my calorie parameters. I always walk in the door with a game plan, and knowing ahead of time what I'm going to order makes it a stress and guilt free meal :)
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Most restaurants usually have specifically labelled lighter options now. I'm often surprised at how satisfying and nice they often are. If the calories aren't on the website, then you just have to make your best, most honest guess using the MFP database.

I also use the tactic of getting an appetiser instead of a starter. If people want dessert, then I generally order a hot drink, so I don't feel too left out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I avoid fried food and things in sauce. You can always ask for sauce on the side though! So yeah, it's often grilled meat or fish with veggies (sometimes mashed/roasted potatoes too if I can spare 300 extra calories though). If I really have no choice, I'll pick a salad, but I'll ask for low fat dressing on the side (even better if they just have vinegar), and I'll be adding up the toppings in my head and remove the high calorie stuff I don't care for (croutons, nuts).

I typically like local restaurants that have no nutrition info more than chains so I do have to guess a lot. However Italian restaurants can be annoying because all the meat always comes covered in sauce or breaded and healthy options are rare.. so I avoid them as much as possible.

Typically I save calories for restaurants though and I can fit a 1400 calorie meal in a week without too many issues... but I still avoid fried food and sauces... I'd just rather save the calories for dessert (unless it's a chain, then it's typically not as good as homemade anyway)...

ETA: alcohol is never worth the calories for me so I'd have seltzer or something!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My mixed drinks are usually something like gin/rum/vodka/whiskey mixed with something diet. You can also take Crystal Light flavoring packets with you and mix up your own flavored drinks with club soda or diet tonic water. I don't waste calories on crap like light beer and I am not a big wine drinker.

If going to a brewery, screw the above, I'm getting some calorie bomb beer sampler to try out. Otherwise, I stick spirits and diet mixers.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    Baked salmon, seasonal veggies for the sides and a cup of water with lemon is usually my go to. Most restaurants i.e. Apple-bees, Ruby Tuesday, Longhorn, will usually have that as an option on the menu. Stay far away from teh salads and dressings! The calories in those are RIDICULOUS! Look them up, about 1000cals +!!!
    sanfromny wrote: »

I know!! :( the salad dressings can be horrendous!!!!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If it's an occasional thing, just enjoy yourself and eat what you like.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What about going to the buffet?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    What about going to the buffet?

There's no way I can go to the buffet and make good choices. Nope. Just not happening. So I avoid buffets like the plague now. Well, except for that brunch buffet we're going to for my birthday, but heck.. it's my birthday.

But I suppose you could just eat some meat and veggies and salad with dressing on the side.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Oh yes it is very possible to eat out and still stay on plan. What I do is if its a new restaurant I look online at their menu ahead of time and figure out a couple of choices I can narrow it down to. I stick with simple meals like a lean meat: steak, chicken or fish loaded with lots of vegies on the side. I substitute extra vegies for a potatoe side. Who needs potatoes when you can have double vegies?? I also ask for my "saute'd" onions, peppers and mushrooms that go with my steak to be steamed in the microwave instead of on the grill so I can avoid the butter/oil they use. I have a restaurant background since I been 14 so it helps me to know how they cook things and what they can and can't do. I am confident and try to be as pleasant to the waitress and convey what I want and need my food to be like in a quick and easy manner. It is true that cooks dont like you to do substitutions but if you say just use the microwave then that is okay becuase its pop the vegies into a bowl and push a button them dump on the steak. This is why it is beneficial to go the same restaurants so they know and expect what you will order and it also pays to send the kitchen a quick thank you note for their good job and for accomodating you. I promise a thank you goes along ways. Cooks are very proud of their work and dont get enough recognition.

Be wary of gettting featured salads: they have alot of hidden calories in them.
    As far as drinks go: well the alcohol itself is anywhere from 64 to 80 calories per ounce. Most drinks have at least 2oz in them. Then you have to figure in your mixers. Now I either order a diet soda with it or I ask for water in the drink and mix in a water flavor additive like crystal light or mia,etc. This way I can have a fruity drink as well. I always order a big glass of water on the side and make it a point to drink that water 1 on 1 ratio with each mixed drink I order. Will you have to pee alot?? YES. but it is what it is. Or... dont drink and have fun anyways. Ask for soda water with limes. Trust me, nobody cares if you drink or not. This is what I do when and if I go out. Being a bartender and waitress for over 25 years, I prefer to stay home and make my own food, drinks and atmosphere. But that is just me. Hope all this helped.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

i would add to this that sometimes you just need to go out, have a good time, and not worry about calories. I went out last night and there is no way that I could log in the blackened grouper with oyster and bacon crust, but I ate it and enjoyed it and am not worried about it. It is impossible to be 100% accurate all of the time..I would say that if you are in a consistent calorie deficit and your logging is accurate 75-85% of the time, you will do fine.