Flu symptoms post workout

Options
I've no idea whether these 2 things are even related, but the last few times I've worked out, I've had flu symptoms the following day, that disappear the day after, and then reappear the day after my next workout. It's not like normal day after aches, I know them well, it honestly feels like the flu. Because of this I'm struggling to stick to healthy eating, stupidly undoing my hard work at the gym. Never experienced this before, it's rather concerning.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "flu symptoms"? Google tells me they are these: "fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, congestion, runny nose, headaches, and fatigue."

Are you having all of those or just some of them?
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    All apart from the runny nose and cough
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Can you describe your workouts? Have you recently increased intensity? It sounds like you might be over-training.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do 3 x one hour group sessions each per week of cardio classes and weights spread over 4 days. On weekends I walk with my dog or swim. Try to have 1 or 2 rest days per week.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating enough? I can recall the same feelings last year in the height of my exercise obsession. I'd kill an hour going hard on an elliptical, eat 1200-1400 calories that day, then feel like a zombie the next day. I eventually drove myself into giving up completely but in hindsight I just needed more fuel.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    that used to happen to me when i used to train hard. i started sucking down a 50/50 mix of super C juice - several juices with tons of vitamin C in a blend - during my workout instead of water, and started having spinach or other vitamin A heavy veggies the same day, before and after the workouts, and i never had it happen again. weird, right? but it worked for me.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Your body needs to fuel to be able to handle all of that hard work.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling! A couple times I've told my trainer, when he asks how I feel since last workout "I can't tell if I'm just sore, or I'm getting sick" - I always feel better the next day.
  • KathrynCummings1
    KathrynCummings1 Posts: 21 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was experiencing this for days after a workout for months , I have a condition called pots syndrome so get it checked its called post exertional fatigue /malaise your symptoms
    can be a medical cause. prob not though if its only twice though
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the congestion, but the rest of the symptoms could be caused by dehydration. Are you drinking enough water before, during and after your workouts?