anyone with neck problems or hypermobile people lifting weights

Options
Hi all not asking for medical advise at all but more experiences.I have spondylosis and spurs in my neck with hypermobility . My physio has advised weight training , Im currently training using machines . Any one out there with same issues do overhead free weights, and does strength training help you personally. Im a bit nervous at the moment to do these although I know their so essential for many

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I'm hypermobile and lift weights following the SL5X5 program. I've found a reduction in knee problems but I don't suffer with my neck so not sure my experience is that helpful to you. I do sometimes find the lifting upsets my wrists but only when going heavy on a Deadlift or rows and I think that is mainly down to poor grip strength.
  • KathrynCummings1
    KathrynCummings1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks yes i have had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands few years ago and notice my syptoms are worse when lifting
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Does your dr allow lifting with carpal tunnel syndrome?
  • KathrynCummings1
    Options
    I have had surgery in both hands for carpal tunnel and its recurring. However I have to weigh up the benefits as i have hypermobility syndrome so strength training is valuable generally to me as I need to build strong joint as my collagen is poor. Its unlikely a doctor would support me training on the basis of carpal tunnel but im weighing things up
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have hypermobility in my shoulders, hips and hands. My physiotherapist told me to be extremely careful. Because if this, I stick to low weight/high reps on machines. I'm having to be patient as I make very slow progress. When I can pick the 10kg bar off the rack without dislocating something I'll think about free weights.

One of the things my physiotherapist kept saying over and over (and over...) again, was that the crane is only as strong as it's base. Make sure your core muscles are strong, it will help.

Sounds like you have different joints affected, so it's probably a different story for you anyway.
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    Also, make sure you're working on the right muscles to support the joints.

For me, there's no point spending ages on my biceps if I'm not also exercising the inner joint muscles in my shoulders.
  • KathrynCummings1
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have hypermobile knees hips wrists etc they think its ehlers danos. my shoulders are quite winged. I have never dislocated thank God but have a few nerve compression issues and my hypermobility has caused me to have a thing called pots but thats so much better with exercise what type of weight do you use that is how heavy
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    I do a lot of planking to improve my core and this also helps my shoulder stability. I use a theraband to exercise my inner shoulder muscles snd do lateral and anterior raises with 2kg dumbells. I also do squats with shoulder presses.

I was doing chest presses and bicep curls, but recently I got back to basics with the physio stuff.

I started off using the overhead press machine with 0 weight. Just practiced doing it in a smooth movement without any crunching. I recently started using the rear delt machine as well on a low weight.

I'm honestly not an expert, this just works for me.
  • laurenpjokl
    Options
    The squats make my hips go a bit crunchy if my stance is too narrow. :-(