How much cardio vs. strength

Options

Replies

• JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    JZ_Evolution_Mark2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Strength are all a function of what your goals are... Bodybuilders do much less cardio than people who run Spartan races or do events based on endurance. Also... what are your goals for your body? To look good in a dress or pants?
    I personally feel that diet is HUGE for everyone... and water intake is also HUGE... and Sleep as well...

What I have found works for me (my goal is to look and perform like an athlete not a bodybuilder)... So I do cardio before a weighted workout.... never by time (I dont say I did 30 minutes on the treadmill).. I say I ran 3 miles in 21 minutes... then I go workout.. When I workout I do circuits... usually 3 exercises per circuit... 1 push..1 pull... and 1 core or ab... I will do 3 circuits... and then jump back on the treadmill and do 1 or 2 more miles jogging... Usually this takes about an hour and a half.. and I sweat the entire time...

Now... this will NOT build huge muscle... but it will make strength and endurance...

Lots of cardio will eat away muscle mass... Lots of muscle will make your cardio bad... You need a happy medium... Test out different regimens
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Then cut back a little on cardio, get on a structured lifting program, continue your deficit and eat sufficient protein. You still get your cardio, but you are making sure to have less muscle loss. End result will be better physique/body composition.

I second this. I have been doing this...20-30 minutes of cardio 2x/week, following a lifting program 45-60 minutes 5x/week and have lost 35 pounds doing so and more inches than I EVER have when trying to lose in the past.

Yeah, that's a similar breakdown to what I did when I started and the body composition results were insane. I eventually eliminated the cardio all together but admittedly I liked a little when I first started, so I could eat a bit more.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Lots of cardio will eat away muscle mass...

Is there any real proof of this? I hear everywhere that "cardio is catabolic" - but as long as a person isn't literally in starvation mode, I don't see why long-distance runners and intensive cardio-only folks don't metabolize carbs then fat like everyone else.

Humans are designed to be long-distance runners and always on their feet. If it was easy for lots of constant movement to waste away our muscles, I can't see how we would have survived as a species.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Is there any real proof of this? I hear everywhere that "cardio is catabolic" - but as long as a person isn't literally in starvation mode, I don't see why long-distance runners and intensive cardio-only folks don't metabolize carbs then fat like everyone else.

Humans are designed to be long-distance runners and always on their feet. If it was easy for lots of constant movement to waste away our muscles, I can't see how we would have survived as a species.

Long-distance runners? Maybe long-distance walkers is a better phrase. We are probably better designed to sprint to a big stick or rock to throw. Always on their feet? Yes. Smarter at figuring out how to hide from predators.

I prefer a sprinter to a marathoner any day. Sprinters seem to be lean and hold onto lots of muscle very well. Marathoners seem to be very lean.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 50 and think more about what's sustainable over a lifetime, and life is a marathon, not a sprint. Jogging added muscle to my legs, yoga added muscle to my arms and back, and both of these feel like they support my health without tearing me up. Yes I do lift too, some. And sprint, sort of, some. But the bulk of the exercise I do is more gentle and sustainable, stuff I can do for years and years and years. I remember in Jazzercise we had not one, not two, but three ladies over 80 years old in the class, dancing and having fun.

What you enjoy is what you will keep doing. Exercise has to fit into your life.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I typically do cardio before my weight routine because I like the high it gives and puts me in a good mental state to lift. I do about 40 minutes of intervals on the AMT machine and then fitness model workout (one body part a day) afterwards. I need the extra amount of time for cardio because I'm so used to it now. Everyone is different. Most would say to cut back on cardio and focus on strength training but it all depends on the results you're trying to achieve. My recommendation, if you're loosing weight, you should focus more on strength training to retain muscle mass or even build some because muscle is what burns the most fat but if you enjoy doing cardio, do what you enjoy because that's what's going to keep you going back for more.
  • bamaskye
    bamaskye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to ask my trainer this tomorrow. Currently I swim laps 6 times a week for 45-60 minutes and its been doing well by me in my weight loss journey; however, I do feel like I've plateaued so I hired a trainer who does resistance training with me in the pool. I would like to start doing cardio outside of the pool and doing some weights; but I'm not sure how much or what to do... I'll share his thoughts as soon as I can... but really want to follow this thread as well
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest... the reason I don't like strength training is because I feel like a dumba$$ when I lift. I feel like everyone is staring at me, whereas with cardio I can just put on my tunes and zone out.

I used to think the same thing...and then I found out, no one is watching. Strength training takes focus. Don't let the other people in the gym intimidate you. Most everyone is into their own thing.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    And I think you'll find that the stronger you get, the easier the cardio gets.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    And I think you'll find that the stronger you get, the easier the cardio gets.

Only to a certain point. It is estimated that for each additional pound of weight, a runner will be 2 seconds slower per mile. This is one of the reasons that elite runners don't do a ton of heavy upper body lifting, as muscle is additional weight. This is also the reason that a runners ideal running weight is usually below the healthy weight range.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Both go hand in hand with overall health, but lifting will define your body much more than cardio. If your diet is on point and you eat a deficit, fulfill your macros, and lift heavy- you will see great results. Cardio will allow you to eat more food and maintain a healthy heart and lungs.

Look up proven lifting routines and then look up form and technique for each exercise on YouTube to make sure you are doing them correctly.
    I'd recommend starting out with lower weights so that you understand the form and motions, then moving on to heavier weights when you are most comfortable with what you are doing.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    People tend to give advice based on their workouts and what they like to do..or what works for them. YOU have to decide what you will stick with and if this is a lifestyle change..or you just wish to drop pounds..and then you're good? Cardio and diet is good to drop weight..adding some light strength training..(lighter weights..more reps) will help tone you up and also lose weight. The final decision is up to you and it's based on your specifics (age-weight-lifestyle-diet-goals)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

Long-distance runners? Maybe long-distance walkers is a better phrase. We are probably better designed to sprint to a big stick or rock to throw. Always on their feet? Yes. Smarter at figuring out how to hide from predators.

I prefer a sprinter to a marathoner any day. Sprinters seem to be lean and hold onto lots of muscle very well. Marathoners seem to be very lean.

Marathoners are lean because being lean is one of the most crucial factors in performing your best at the marathon. Sprinting performance is enhanced by greater muscle power. At the elite level, athletes are genetically self-selected--they are born with different body types. It's like me saying I'd prefer to train at being a basketball player than a jockey because basketball players always seem to be tall and jockeys seem to be short.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

As long as protein intake is sufficient and you are in nitrogen balance, a person can do high volumes of endurance training and maintain muscle mass.

Someone trying to MAXIMIZE muscle gain might find that high volumes of cardio interferes with that goal somewhat, but that is at the far end of the spectrum. And even that is not due to cardio "eating" muscle.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I'm close to 50 and think more about what's sustainable over a lifetime, and life is a marathon, not a sprint. Jogging added muscle to my legs, yoga added muscle to my arms and back, and both of these feel like they support my health without tearing me up. Yes I do lift too, some. And sprint, sort of, some. But the bulk of the exercise I do is more gentle and sustainable, stuff I can do for years and years and years. I remember in Jazzercise we had not one, not two, but three ladies over 80 years old in the class, dancing and having fun.

What you enjoy is what you will keep doing. Exercise has to fit into your life.

There are actually many 80 year old lifters. Lifting really us the absolute best exercise for overall health. I would only cut lifting if it began having detrimental effects, which it sometimes does as you age. But, if you lift properly, that shouldn't happen.

There really is no single exercise that is the best for overall health. And same as one can do a ton of acardio and completely weak, I know lifters who cannot run a block to catch the bus. Which does not sound healthy either.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into bodyweight strength training? That can be done at home and with minimum equipment, so no perceiving stares or feeling bad about your performance. You could also buy some cheap dumbbells to make the body weight exercises a bit harder.

I see no problem with doing more cardio than strength to be honest. It highly depends on your goals and preferences. If lifting hundreds of pounds is not all that important to you, then not training to do so is valid. You could get enough muscle stimulation for the purposes of preserving muscle mass from bodyweight training and fill the rest of your exercise time with whatever exercise you enjoy, even if it happens to be prancing.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do both, probably to a ratio of about 30% lifting to 70% cardio.

For vanity factors, I like the physique that strength training brings. I also to strength train because I'm hypermobile and it helps me enormously to keep that in check.

But I also run and cycle. I used to do triathlons and my RHR was in my mid 40s. Then I did nothing for 3 years and I was shocked to find it had crept up to 75bpm!!! I love the fact that in three months my resting heart rate has dropped by 13bpm since I started exercising again after 3 years off. It's now at 62bmp and I can't wait to eek it down further. For me that is true fitness.

I don't want to be that person who just looks like she's in good shape, but who can't run around the block.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, and I used to lift a lot. I have arthritis in my shoulder and some spinal degeneration, so every time I try to get back into lifting some sort of pain issue crops up again, which has really soured me on it of late. One thing that has never caused me pain is cardio. So, I focus on that - I currently get about 40-50 minutes of intensive cardio on a daily basis (plus walking 1-2 times per day as well). I can run a 10K in about 45 minutes currently, and am looking ahead to a half-marathon before the end of the year.

A lot of people here poo-poo people who do cardio-only exercise programs. If you're into getting that aesthetically sculpted physique, sure, weight training along with fat loss is awesome. Also, if you're an older adult, there's something to be said for progressive resistance training, as it tends to prevent injuries due to falls.

Aside from all of that, to my mind, the real issue is finding a kind of exercise you like and getting really good at it. I'm really good at running (I also have an exercise bike as well which I also use), so I do it a lot. I get the benefit of significant calorie burns (so I get to eat more.... wheee!) and I also have a resting heart rate that's trending into the high 40s at this point. I'm extremely fit right now - more so than I've ever been (current stats - six-foot two, 185 pound male. Notoriously inaccurate FitBit Aria has my body fat % bouncing around a 10% range).

I may try and take up weight training again in the future (probably with the help of a personal trainer who could help to work around my musculoskeletal issues). But I have zero issues with anyone who chooses a cardio-only program for whatever reason. In fact, my personal physician (who is also a pulmonologist) says that he thinks cardio should be the main priority of anyone doing exercise programs - as having a fit cardiovascular system is much more predictive of health and longevity than simply having muscle mass, which, aside from the value it has for looking pretty in a swimsuit and the above issue of how it may benefit older adults, really doesn't add that much to health or longevity.

At least, that's his opinion. Sounds good to me.

Agree with much of this. I lift and love lifting. I'm struggling right now for a lack of a running partner and as a result I've gone from running 40k plus a week to barely eking out an occasional 5k. My heart rate is up and I have far less energy, and yet I'm the strongest I've ever been. As unpopular as it is to say on here we need cardio. For me cardio is especially critical because I have asthma and without cardio my breathing suffers.

OP - if your goal is to get stronger then throw in one session of extra lifting a week for 20-30 minutes and otherwise keep doing what you're doing. If your goal is to simply maintain muscle mass and strength then 2 sessions per week should be sufficient. I subscribe to the the best exercise is the one you will do philosophy, at least in the beginning. Keep at it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »

Marathoners are lean because being lean is one of the most crucial factors in performing your best at the marathon. Sprinting performance is enhanced by greater muscle power. At the elite level, athletes are genetically self-selected--they are born with different body types. It's like me saying I'd prefer to train at being a basketball player than a jockey because basketball players always seem to be tall and jockeys seem to be short.
    I may not be able to train to be taller or shorter. But I can train for more power and better physique.
    I may not be able to compete at the elite level because of genetics. That is all true.

Sprinting is one way to achieve more power. Sprinters are muscular. And I like the sprinter's physique.

You have to find what works for your body. I find a good mix of plyometrics, weights and cardio is helping me achieve my goals. And hitting my macros is feeding my output.