Pilates for Weight Loss?

Options
Hello everybody! I have a question for all of you:

Does pilates help you lose weight?

I have been currently doing pilates by watching Blogilates. I follow what Cassey Ho does, but I have recently started, and I am not sure if it is going to help me lose weight. There are workouts for thighs, abs, arms, booty etc. I'm just not sure if these are going to give me muscles or help me lose weight.

Please help.

I just want to lose weight, but I have exercise induced asthma, and I can't do cardio. So I figured, maybe pilates could help. Will it?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I love love love Pilates. I have been doing it for years. It's a great body weight exercise for your core. That, and power yoga are my current go-tos after 20 years of weight lifting.
    That said: no. You might get a modest calorie burn from Pilates. But no. Eat at a deficit, consistently. That's going to be the key.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    OP:
    I concur with @Sabine_Stroehm .
    Any activity is better than sitting at the couch
    Exercise is for fitness and health
    Eating at a deficit ( calories burned higher than calories ingested) is key to decreasing body weight
    Some exercise may help with higher calorie burning but you can not out exercise excessive eating.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need cardio for exercise to lose weight. Not pilates/yoga.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Yup calorie deficit & Pilates burns calories so keep it up!
  • bezza666
    bezza666 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Pilates for core strength. Probably the best strength you can have, posture wise.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Have been doing Pilates for years...weight has gone up and down in that time. the weight changes due to calorie deficit (or not). Pilates is great for posture, muscle tone and core strength...keep it up, but keep your calories at a deficit!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No. Like most resistance training routines, it will help with strength and it might also help with flexibility. But it does not burn many calories.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You don't need to workout to lose weight, you just need to burn more than you eat consistently over time. I only started working out after I lost the weight because I wanted to, not because I thought it would help me stay in deficit.

That said, pilates sounds like it might work for you with your asthma and help you feel good about what your body CAN do.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You need cardio for exercise to lose weight. Not pilates/yoga.

Well, that's not necessarily true.
    Besides, OP said they could not do cardio. I think pilates would be beneficial to him or her.
  • kbakhtawar69
    kbakhtawar69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies!

@dopeysmelly That is what I thought, too, with my asthma and all, but now that some people have given me replies to my question, it has made me question pilates. But I do think it could be an option for me, considering I don't want to sit on the couch all day. Something is better than nothing, right?
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options

@dopeysmelly That is what I thought, too, with my asthma and all, but now that some people have given me replies to my question, it has made me question pilates. But I do think it could be an option for me, considering I don't want to sit on the couch all day. Something is better than nothing, right?

yes. something is better than nothing.
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I recently started Pilates after I broke a toe a few months ago. My weight has not changed, but I do feel significantly stronger in my core. I had to really modify some of the moves, but now that I'm healing, I'm still hooked. Now, if I can stick with a deficit, the scale might change.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Can you walk for extended periods? A nice combo of Pilates and walking would be good.