Lactose Intollerant : Soy Sensitive: In Need of Protein Options- Help? Anyone the same?

Options
One of my greatest challenges is to find protein options that travel well and do not have milk/soy.
It seems most snack o\choices: cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese sticks, etc. are not an option for me. Is anyone else experiencing the same? Do you have some tried and true options?

Getting protein without fat is difficult for me too. Hence superchunky peanut butter is lurking in my desk drawer!

Without purchasing a 'supplement' shake - ie, vegan shakeology for $130/month, I do not see many options.

Please write if you have any words of wisdom for me.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Something for travel? Hmm... Beef jerky? But that has lots of fat too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You don't need a super-expensive protein shake to do protein shake -- there are affordable options that don't have dairy or soy. They have hemp, rice, and pea protein powders -- you can either get unflavored or a brand like "Vega" (I'm almost positive that Vega doesn't have soy, but check the label to make sure). All will be much, much, much cheaper than Shakeology.

I don't do dairy either -- for protein snacks I sometimes have seitan jerky or roasted chickpeas. You can roast your own chickpeas and flavor them however you want. They travel well in Ziploc bags.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Edamame travels well but has some fat.
    (Why are you limiting fat)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Edamame travels well but has some fat.
    (Why are you limiting fat)

Edamame is from the soybean plant.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would check out some of the vegan protein options - if you are looking for a protein powder I know there are some pea protein powders that were sold at Costco in my area (I am in Canada though so not sure what yours might have) but there are plenty of non-soy options WAY cheaper than Shakeology.

There are beans, legumes and different veggies that also pack a good punch on the protein side, bonus because they are super inexpensive! Refried beans smeared on a tortilla with a handful of greens tossed in a ziplock baggie is a really easy snack that can be eaten cold and has great protein/fiber that keeps you full
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Jerky (beef or other meat), dried chickpeas, nuts, vegan protein powders.

Meat will stay good most of the day in an insulated lunch bag with a cool pack.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Jack's Turkey Jerky has no soy in it I agree with beans, throw some black beans (or whatever you like) in with some salsa and noms. Check out whey protein powders (watch out for milk), a lot of them are not strongly flavored so you can add some to your foods or drinks, it may change the texture a bit though.
    I'd say take a look in the recipes section of the forums as I've seen several vegetarian protein threads (though of course they often suggest yogurt and cheeses)
    I'm hypothyroid and soy protein affects the medication so I feel this pain.
  • clsquires91
    clsquires91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Arbonne has a vegan protein powder that I've used. It's a little higher in price, but it's a pea/cranberry/rice protein powder. I think a serving a day a month's bag is $70.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, fish, vegan/non soy protein powder.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Why do you not want fat? Fat is not bad, everything in moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Fat helps the protein be portable. Nuts come to mind right away. Try roasted chickpeas.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree nuts! With raisins they taste like candy.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Fat helps the protein be portable. Nuts come to mind right away. Try roasted chickpeas.

• SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I found out on her the other day on here several of the kraft cheeses have 0 grams of lactose per serving and bought some today. I've heard Chobani greek yogurt is 99% or so lactose free. Cashew dream cashew milk doesn't require refrigeration till opened. . My daughter is lactose intolerant too. I would take small cooler with you so you could bring a variety of things.
  • sammijoy89
    sammijoy89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Currently I am using Vega protein nutritional shake. It's approximately $45 on Amazon and that's a month's supply. It's a little pricey, but I also am able to enjoy the added benefit of the probiotics added to it. Keeps you regular. ;) Otherwise I eat almonds, cashews, pistachios, black beans, and hard boiled eggs also. If you have the right lunchbox and pack it with enough ice packs, any food that you want travels really well, though. I really enjoy my PackIt lunch box, the whole thing is lined with a gel ice pack and then additional ice packs keep everything nice and cold. Unfortunately the fat content creeps up FAST on nuts. I can only have one serving a day or I'm over my fat limits every single day in MFP.