Super tasty orange chicken that's to die for, but won't kill you. Only 335 calories & $2.50/serving

Options
DeviatedNorm
DeviatedNorm Posts: 422 Member
I love me some sweet and spicy orange chicken, but unfortunately it's often about as healthy as eating a piece of cake. Maybe worse. I've cobbled together a recipe that has quickly become one of my favorites, working its way into my meals almost weekly now. It satiates any cravings I get for orange chicken, but in a low calorie and cheap meal that's filled with some great nutrition. It was $2.80/serving using fancy organic ground chicken, you can save a good 50 cents per serving using non-organic.

Ingredients, 4 servings
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or canola)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (small sweet peppers work great too)
2 garlic cloves (or more!), minced
1 tsp of ginger, minced 1 lb of ground chicken
1 10oz bag of frozen broccoli (or fresh!)
2 Tbsp orange marmalade
1 head of green cabbage, cut in half and then slice thinly
1 smaller orange, juiced
1.25 Tbsp (low sodium) soy sauce
1/4 cup water 1/4 tsp chili flakes (or more!)
Pepper to taste
5oz sugar snap peas, cut in half or thirds
On medium heat in a bigass saute pan/wok add the coconut oil, ginger, garlic, pepper and onions and let those guys cook until they get a little soft. Next, add the ground chicken. Break it up by stirring and let that cook until it's just barely no longer pink. Next add the marmalade and the broccoli. Let that cook for about a minute before adding the cabbage, orange juice, soy sauce, water, chili flakes and pepper. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and stir in the snap peas, they'll cook just fine with the residual heat while serving.

Then eat some damned fine orange chicken.

Nutrition, per serving
335 calories
15g fat, 6g saturated fat
75mg cholesterol
320mg sodium
25g carbohydrates
6g fiber
13g sugar
27g protein
Vitamin A - 22%
Vitamin C - 202%
Calcium - 12%
Iron - 13%

Replies

• ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • susanpagegetsfit
    susanpagegetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious!
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, however how much chicken? 1pound?
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh my god I love you! I have been craving orange chicken like you wouldn't believe!
  • DeviatedNorm
    Options
    horaks wrote: »
    Sounds great, however how much chicken? 1pound?

Sorry man, my formatting got a little funky and it's on the same line as the ginger. But yea, 1lb ground chicken total.
  • horaks
    horaks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh yes there it is, sorry I kept reading and reading, well not far enough over-Thanks will try soon
  • skazzmatter
    skazzmatter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    omg im so excited. probably one of my favorite foods, but the syrup mixes my roommate buys (in buuuulk) are SO bad for me, hahaha. thank you!! <3
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    Loving the quotes already! I bookmarked the orange chicken recipe! I love orange chicken! And I have another word for this year. First it was discipline. Then balance! Now I'm going to work on CONSISTENCY! Gotta get these habits to stick!

ztykm2z0kw6b.jpg
    v0d3pc9jx7ou.jpg
    oaehqmhgd5jr.jpg
    848g3v51xy8k.jpg
    6nx1pg5nc5k6.jpg
    ndj776tzdg8c.jpg
    1ndcq3d6pb3t.jpg

• FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe. I'm on my way to the grocery store now!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty good. I'd probably rather chicken cut into pieces instead of ground - prefer that texture.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Ohh sounds so good. Thanks for sharing!!
  • AmandajoyFair
    AmandajoyFair Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DeviatedNorm
    Options
    @FABRICWOMAN - were you able to try it yet? I hope you enjoy it!

@stealthq - I hear that. I usually am not a fan of ground chicken, this is probably -the- recipe I use it for.
  • katsmithMFP
    katsmithMFP Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, this sounds really good, going to try it! I recently made cauliflower fried rice (trader joe’s riced cauliflower, a bit of soy sauce, garlic powder and two scrambled eggs) that this would go perfectly with!