What are some of the worst most disastrous no good weight loss mistakes you made or continue to mak

Options
Mine was going on a deprivation diet and eating a lot of "fat free " processed food thinking it wouldn't make me fat=)

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Fad diets, and eating only rice crackers, steamed chicken and steamed vegetables while taking much more 'fat blaster' pills than recommended.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Believing common weight loss myths like " carbs make people fat "
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Mine was going on a deprivation diet and eating a lot of "fat free " processed food thinking it wouldn't make me fat=)

That I make? There is only one. Not eating at a deficit (by 'eating' I mean 'drinking').

If you are referring to people in general it's a lack of education about the weight loss process.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Drinking artificial sweeteners, yuck.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Believing common weight loss myths like " carbs make people fat "

Trying to realize this hahah
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio. Cardio. And more cardio. Because that's the only way you can lose weight.

Oh. And deciding that eating 300cals per day was a good idea. The last day was the day I almost passed out.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Believing that to lose weight I could never eat the things I like. Once I learnt about MFP and moderation, I decided to lose the extra couple of kgs that had slowly crept on. I only had to say "Starting tomorrow" once.

The other thing is believing that I didn't have much to lose because I was happy with my body and people called me "skinny". Now that i've lost the weight I feel so much better and can't imagine putting back on the 10kgs.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Believing that if I'd worked out, I could go to McDonald's and eat whatever I wanted with no consequences. Yeah. Math is not my strong suit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cutting calories without adjusting food quality or macros. Disaster for me.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I suck at consistently. Logically, I have thousands of reasons a steady caloric intake every day is a good idea, but I find myself falling into restrict-excess cycles. My best adaptation currently is planning for low & high days... Mondays are low days, Sunday's are high days, and the week kind of crescendos, adding wine on weekends.

I also spent many years in a futile low/no fat-high sugar spiral. I wish I had those years back to do over. Never mind. No I don't.

As much of a daily struggle as it seems to be, when I step back, I have essentially maintained my weight (borderline underweight BMI, but I have small bones) since college--30 years. My college jeans are loose, and the style these days would be called "mom jeans" even if they seemed low waisted at the time. My upper body is more muscular and I might have a lower body fat % than college. I really cannot complain, but I will comment that maintaining seems to take more effort than it seems to take others.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Assuming the veggie sandwiches had fewer calories (jimmy johns gourmet veggie=960ish calories)
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Not reading this thread sooner! Great advice! I will follow everyone's lead
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Giving up on losing weight umpteen times because I thought I had to give up everything that tastes good. (Before I found MFP, obviously))
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    The worst most disastrous, fun, continue to make mistake: underestimate the calories in beef! LOL.
  • kalynbreann357
    kalynbreann357 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thinking I could consistently lose by guesstimating calories.
  • TammerTammer
    TammerTammer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I traded addiction of food for exercise. I was eating all of the time with almost no fat in my diet. I lost over 60 lbs in just over 2 months. That little adventure landed me a 10 day stay at our local hospital. My body threw a little revolt that almost killed me. That was 10 years ago. I finally got myself together enough to try a reasonable weight loss program and it is working. This time I am 3 months in, practicing moderation, and losing weight steadily.
  • Chele_Belle_
    Chele_Belle_ Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Over estimating how much meat was in my portion which lead to protein/fat deprivation which caused major hair loss! Solved it by buying a food scale.
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Giving up on losing weight umpteen times because I thought I had to give up everything that tastes good. (Before I found MFP, obviously))

This also affected me socially a bit. Back in the day, my friends would eat all sorts of junk, and giving up tasty food meant seeing my friends less so I can exercise or eat something healthier. Luckily I figured that by making the cornerstone of my intake to be whole nutrient dense food, enjoying some donuts or beers with the guys once in while became much more manageable.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Buying food that's discounted in the supermarket just because it's cheap even though I have plenty of food already in the house, then having to work out when & how I can eat it all so it doesn't go to waste. Still doing this now albeit usually with veggies & fruit not cakes/pastries etc. Still, I should know better.
  • ecoforestry
    ecoforestry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much milk. I love it, but even fat-free milk has a lot of natural sugars, and the calories add up fast. Also, giving in and buying processed food/desserts because I had a good coupon for that product or it was free after coupons. FREE JUNK is still JUNK is a shopping motto of mine.