Advice please Shin pain when jogging

Options
Hi there

I get really bad shin pain when jogging, it seems to run all the way from mid shin to my second toe and then in a band around my ankles.

Happens on both legs, but mainly my left one. If I stop and stretch them out it hurts like mad, then it seems to go away. I generally start walking briskly and then easing into my jog again without too much discomfort, but as soon as I am 30 seconds into my jog the pain comes on again. Its really frustrating because I am not out of breath, my legs don't feel tired its just the pain holding me back

From what I read up this is not shin splints as the pain should linger - anyone have any idea what it is?

Replies

• Alienraver
    Alienraver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How old are your running shoes? do you pronate inwards or outwards or are you a neutral striker? All questions that need an answer. You need the CORRECT shoes for your gait. You should get your gait analyzed to see what type of shoe works best for you. Places like Academy do this for you, but to be honest they are just hrly employees. Go to a reputable running store or even better a Sports Medicine Clinic. You can also take a look at an older pair of shoes and see where the majority of the wear is, outside or inside? It will tell you which side of your foot normally strikes first and makes the most wear. You can use this to pick out proper running shoes. Also, not all socks are created equal, get the right socks. Shoes should be replaced every 600 miles.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Alienraver wrote: »
    How old are your running shoes? do you pronate inwards or outwards or are you a neutral striker? All questions that need an answer. You need the CORRECT shoes for your gait. You should get your gait analyzed to see what type of shoe works best for you. Places like Academy do this for you, but to be honest they are just hrly employees. Go to a reputable running store or even better a Sports Medicine Clinic. You can also take a look at an older pair of shoes and see where the majority of the wear is, outside or inside? It will tell you which side of your foot normally strikes first and makes the most wear. You can use this to pick out proper running shoes. Also, not all socks are created equal, get the right socks. Shoes should be replaced every 600 miles.

+1
    Go get properly fitted for running shoes before this does turn into shin splints. Shin splints suck.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Alienraver wrote: »

+2

Except, how long shoes last will depend on a variety of factors, including but not limited to your weight and the surface you typically run on. For example, if shoes will not last as long for a heavier person as they will for a lighter person. Also, shoes will wear much faster if you typically run on paved roads/trails than they will if you run on unpaved trails or on a track. Also don't just go by wear on the bottom of the shoes - the most important part is the support of the inside sole of the shoe...that can breakdown and become injury-causing before you see wear on the bottom. :)

I typically replace my running shoes after about 300-350 miles, since 95% of my running is done on pavement (they then get cycled out to be my everyday non-work shoes, my everyday shoes get cycled out to yard work shoes, and my yard work shoes get tossed).
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You should also work to strengthen the muscles. Along with calf raises do shin raises. The movement is called dorsiflexion. It will strengthen those muscles . So if you work your calves by rocking on your toes, rock back on your heels and really try to push your toes up far. If you have resistance bands, a backpack with a wide strap, etc you can add weight and strengthen further.

Definitely follow above recommendations and get some new and proper fitting shoes.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you're going through, as I lived this also. Holy heck, stretching hurt!! I believe 3 things helped: losing weight, good shoes (Asics for me) and...I think this has been more important actually.... strengthening my legs overall. As I became stronger overall, I no longer have shin pain at all. Not sure if you are a new runner, but be sure you are doing other workouts too, including general strength training.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh crumbs, I'm no professional and I am in South Africa so I really doubt I am going to have any luck with someone analyzing me! (Unless it goes along the lines of what size shoe are you and how far do you walk per week - thats all they bother to ask you!)

I do pronate inwards on my left foot , pretty much neutral striker on my right. I just got some basic walking shoes - New balance - in December so they are new. I also use basic 'training' socks that are thicker on the heel and toe. Like I said, its South Africa - most people run bare foot (and usually because they stole something)
  • shelleysykeskeene
    Options
    **I am new to running/jogging and I have 17kgs to lose. I usually walk briskly for 45 minutes per day, but started doing the walk 1 minute run 1 minute for 45 minutes, and worked up to running 5 minutes at a time but the pain in my shins was so hectic I went back to walk 1, run 1 - unfortunately now I can only run for 30 seconds before the pain causes me to slow down.

I do also do some general toning / weight training 3x per week (20 minutes per day after my cardio). I do 5 sets of 5 reps of the following

Lunges (forward and side lunges with weights 5kg)

Deadlift with barbell (20kg)

Calf raises with weights (10kg)

Squat with barbell (20kg)
  • bal999
    bal999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same a few years back and I had a bone scan which showed I had early stage osteoperosis. I had to take calcium to strengthen my bones. Which I still take. Never had this problem again. Now I run 3 times a week no problems. Get it checked by your Dr just to rule this out.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You could ask for running store recommendations on runningahead.com. I know there are several South Africans on that site. I'm pretty sure you can find a specialty store.

And I know you know this, but many, many South Africans run barefoot who did not steal anything. Dina Phalula and Zola Budd come to mind.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    Options
    bal999 wrote: »
    I had the same a few years back and I had a bone scan which showed I had early stage osteoperosis. I had to take calcium to strengthen my bones. Which I still take. Never had this problem again. Now I run 3 times a week no problems. Get it checked by your Dr just to rule this out.

Osteoperosis runs in my family, couldnt hurt to take a calcium supplement anyway - thank you!
  • shelleysykeskeene
    Options
    mreichard - I did not mean to offend, really, I was just having a laugh. Thank you for the advice on that online running store, will check it out.

I can actually run faster and with less pain when I am barefoot. I must be honest with you, I have never heard of Dina Phalula, I have heard of Zola Budd of course and of Abebe Bikila (but he was Ethiopian, not South African) ;)
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Wow. Shelley and mreichard, Thank you for reminding me of Zola Budd. I must have been 13 or so when the Budd/Decker incident happened. That event profoundly affected me especially how the number got ripped off Zola and she intentionally lost the race. Maybe that is partly why I like running barefoot and when I don't my shins hurt, mostly the left like you.
    Shelley I truly hope you get this problem fixed, it is a real drag to run in pain.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You should also work to strengthen the muscles. Along with calf raises do shin raises. The movement is called dorsiflexion. It will strengthen those muscles . So if you work your calves by rocking on your toes, rock back on your heels and really try to push your toes up far. If you have resistance bands, a backpack with a wide strap, etc you can add weight and strengthen further.

Definitely follow above recommendations and get some new and proper fitting shoes.

You can strengthen it by tapping your big toe as well
  • christyg74
    christyg74 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Have you tried leg compression sleeves? I started running in January, and I got them to help with shin splints. They are awesome! You can order them from Amazon.
  • m303psss
    m303psss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it hurts to run DON'T. Many other forms of exercise. I ran for years......and I am now paying the price. If you must run don't run on tar and concrete.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Worth trying CEP calf guards, they help heaps with shin splints and in my opinion they're far better than other sports brands, CEP originated in medical compression so they know their stuff. I got a pair when suffering shin splints and they're still lasting me well now, they've not gone baggy in the wash or anything like that. Miles better than some 2xu ones I had first.

Btw I have absolutely NO links to CEP as a company, just recommending a good product!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    christyg74 wrote: »
    Have you tried leg compression sleeves? I started running in January, and I got them to help with shin splints. They are awesome! You can order them from Amazon.

If you suffer from shin splints, then stop running until they've healed. Do not use compression sleeves as they don't cure the underlying problem.

That said, the symptoms described don't sound like shin splints. Personally I'd advocate a visit to the physio.

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I used to get excruciatingly painful shin splints every time I would run. Then I did a bit of research and tried barefoot running. For the past 3 years I've run barefoot injury/pain-free (on all kinds of surfaces) an average of 600+ miles/year. If you try this, transition slowly, it's quite challenging!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had shin pain and a bone scan showed multiple stress fractures up and down both tibias. Like @bal999 I'm taking calcium and vitamin D supplements as I was told I'm a big girl with lower bone density and deficiencies in both. I can only run twice a week max and on a softer surface or they recur. I've had 4-5 sets of stress fractures in the past 2 years...but when I heal up it doesn't stop me from running again. Mine feel like itchy, burning and under the skin bruises, but they don't "hurt" per se. I do get totally numb feet whenever I have a fracture. Circulation is bad too I guess.
  • Lana4639
    Lana4639 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I began running I had horrible shin splints until I began doing calf raises. I also found that slowing down and "easing" into running was helpful.