Pcos

Options
Anyone have success losing weight and overcoming pcos?

Replies

• estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes! The key for me was to reduce carb and sugar intake, increase protein and introduce weightlifting. I thought I would look like a linebacker by weightlifting, but it's been quite the opposite. Do heavy compound weightlifting with a bar, do cardio 2-3 times a week HIIT style, and count your calories. Other life changer for me was taking Vitamin D, 5000 IU. I lost over 30 lbs.
  • musicfreak1011
    musicfreak1011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How long did it take? I feel like I should start lifting after I lose the weight. I'm trying to cut out carbs and sugar
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree with @estherlion

I've dealt with PCOS my whole life it sucks but it can be done.

Good luck to you.
  • Lana4639
    Lana4639 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I began eating paleo and I lost 110lbs over a year and a half (I did some self sabotage along way). I still have 30-40lbs to go. For my workout I began with fitnessblender 3 days cardio 3 days strength training.
  • jteraud
    jteraud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have gone from 11st 5 to 8 st 5 in 15 months, height is 5"4.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    How long did it take? I feel like I should start lifting after I lose the weight. I'm trying to cut out carbs and sugar

Although I don't suffer from PCOS, I can definitely tell you not to wait until after you have lost the excess weight to start lifting. If you start lifting from day one, you will maintain your muscle mass to a great extent and most of the weight that comes off due to calorie restriction and CV training / HIIT etc. will be in the form of fat. Otherwise, you will lose a lot of muscle, which may not only be unhealthy in the long run, but might also give you the skinny-fat look after substantial weight loss. I have made that mistake in the past lol.

All the best to you! :)

(Edited for typo)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Yes!!
    I do not have it anymore. If you have it see your doctor and do tests for parasites. At least do a cleanse and see for yourself.

STAHP!!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    PCOS sister here. Lift heavy things now. We tend to have very complex hormonal profiles that make all of this weight loss business weird. The one thing everyone who knows anything about our hormonal issues can attest to is that weight lifting is good. Do you know if you are insulin resistant?
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS for 10-12 years diagnosed. I accepted when I started this journey I would probably have a little harder time losing but almost 3 months in I have seen no real evidence PCOS has effected me losing weight...and if it has its been minimal. I wouldn't consider myself on any specific diet but if I had to say what it is similar to would be the paleo diet.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

The weight lifting will help you retain muscle mass while you lose weight if you start now. Without it, you will lose muscle, and even bone mass, along with the fat.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Yes!!
    I do not have it anymore. If you have it see your doctor and do tests for parasites. At least do a cleanse and see for yourself.

STAHP!!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

Are you trying to insinuate that I am peddling products..if so then that is ridiculous because anyone can get prescribed albendezole or gather their own herbs from herb farms and makes their own remedies to treat the problem. Any person suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome has the right to share their own personal anecdotes if it helped them.

There is no benefit to me sharing how the parasites and how hormones and cysts form has plenty if information on the internet and uf you have a good doctor they will inform you that yes they can live in your reproductive tract, especially uterus.

I was skeptical at first and now even my doctor was suprized at the rapid turnaround. I was on metformin for 8 months and I wish I never did it.
    I wish someone had told me and I wish I could go back in time but I can not. It was so depressing when i had it and I wish others all the best in fighting it in whatever way you wish.
    I do not eat much processed food, mostly vegies fruit,meat,nuts legumes and unfortunately havent been able to get off soy milk as i love it too much.. but I do owe it all to doing herbal cleanse.

You're not peddling a product. You're peddling nonsense. Cleanses are pseudoscientific tripe. Period
  • musicfreak1011
    musicfreak1011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 19. 5'5 I weighed 178 now I'm back to 183 I gain weight super fast and it's so hard to lose my doctor put me on metformin but I stopped because I wanna do this the natural way but it's so hard for me
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!