Another Strength Training Question

Options
I'm just starting this whole healthy living thing, and like a recent poster, I do not exactly understand/like strength training. My main concern about strength training is that I am not financially at a point where I can afford a gym membership. I do all my cardio at home, but strength training is another thing. I do have 2 lb, 5 lb, and 8 lb sets of dumbells. My question is: Is there a way to get the same results with using these dumbells as using the equipment at the gym? Does anyone know of a good program or regime that can explain to me what I should be doing as well as how many sets, etc..? Thanks for any and all help!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you wont get very far with those dumbbells, but you should look into a strength program like stronglifts. you can certainly learn the movements with smaller weights, but eventually to gain strength you will have to load up and push some limits and 8 pound weights wont get you there. if you are working out at home and can get a suspension trainer, you would be able to do a lot of body weight strength training which is super good for you. Look up TRX training.
  • theconnertys
    theconnertys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As you are just starting, body weight exercise should work. Burpees, push ups, pull ups, dips, planks, etc. The trick will be finding a workout routine that works for you today.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't have the finances for a gym membership at the moment. Some of the lesser known gyms are relatively cheap. My monthly due is only $10 no contact and will never increase. And it is a great facility.
  • Sgt_Pepper33
    Sgt_Pepper33 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with body weight exercises. There are quite a few apps with good body weight workouts too - Fitstar, Sworkit, Skimble to name a few.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Most people who start a resistance training program would do just fine with body weight exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Do some basic bodyweight exercises and do not worry about it. You just started, do what feels interesting and fun. No exercise will be efficient if you hate it and avoid doing it or if for practical reasons (money, time, convenience etc) you cannot do it. Get moving, this is all that counts at this stage. If you can find something that is a mix of cardio and resistance training, this is the best, but keep it simple in the beginning.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You are just starting, focus on body weight exercises for now. Search on YouTube for body weight exercises. You'll know when you are ready to move to weights.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I do have 2 lb, 5 lb, and 8 lb sets of dumbells.

Are you sure they're not 2kg, 5kg and 8kg dumbells? I didn't realise they even made dumbells as light as 2lb???

• hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm doing body weight. I'm a plank girl.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you have the space at home to have a mini gym, keep an eye on ebay. It's amazing how many people get rid of whole sets of good weights for very little money.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

Are you sure they're not 2kg, 5kg and 8kg dumbells? I didn't realise they even made dumbells as light as 2lb???

I have a set of 1 lb dumbbells in my house. They are very old though, I don't know if they make them still.

To OP, I've never had a gym membership, but that being said I buy my dumbbells when I need heavier ones. I'm a believer in you do not need a gym to gain muscle mass and build strength, you just need something heavy. For beginners, Body weight exercises and feather weights (feather weights are anything 10 lbs and under) will be perfect for building up strength. Good luck. :)
  • TamiHudson
    TamiHudson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Try Chalean Extreme from Beachbody. I am doing my 2nd round of her 90-day strength training program. She can teach you how to create your own resistance using the amount of weights you have on hand...but one of the best things you can do is to invest in heavier weights...but I totally understand how expensive that can be!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is a body weight workout, it also lets you add weights as you get stronger. Might be worth looking into. Body weight workout that can be found on youtube.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

i have 1 pound dumbbells, and tiny little half pound plates, i use them as paperweights at my office. everyone laughs but i love them.