Trick to exercising longer

Options
I have found it so successful to watch documentaries on obesity , weight loss, eating disorders while being on the elliptical. May sound crazy but it helps time go by faster usually 40 to 45 minutes and motivates me to stay strong. ❤

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Personally I couldn't think of anything worse to "entertain" me, but whatever floats your boat.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I do watch Netflix while I'm doing cardio, and it does pass the time, but I prefer something fictional, with an engaging storyline!
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I prefer upbeat music. I tried doing audiobooks or watching TV, and find myself slowing or stopping unconsciously whenever a super interesting or suspenseful part comes on.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure "Fed Up" would be fictional "entertainment". I usually don't want anything with a screen when I'm working out, but music works for me.
  • alexreyn13
    alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Music, Netflix, Audio books, Podcasts etc. So many things keep my interest for prolonged periods of time, I hate exercising without something to watch or listen to.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't think of anything worse to "entertain" me, but whatever floats your boat.

Music videos when I'm on treadmill then good music when lifting
  • jackiejf187
    jackiejf187 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Upbeat music helps me. Nothing slow or I slow down, and not even on purpose. Amazon music has really good playlists for workouts if you are a Prime member.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Music works for me!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't do cardio machines, if I need to be entertained whilst doing it I'm not going to do it, haha. Bodyweight interval cardio FTW, plus it's a better overall workout. And running outside. But whatever floats your boat.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Music too. And my gym has Solitaire on the treadmills so I'm never bored.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How in the heck do you play solitaire without falling on your a......?!
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options

This is why I never brought a tablet to the gym.

I think of all the job opportunities I'm missing by being too slow and too weak to pass the entrance exam for my local PD, and that's my motivation.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If I have to exercise inside, I do commercial intervals. Watch a TV show with commercials ... ride easy or walk during the show, then ride as hard as I can or run during the commercials. 30-60 min goes by in no time. :)

But I so much prefer to exercise outside. I can start walking or cycling outside and just keep walking or cycling for hours.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I can't run. I walk at an incline. So it's easy!
  • ElegantElle
    ElegantElle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do watch Netflix while I'm doing cardio, and it does pass the time, but I prefer something fictional, with an engaging storyline!

Yeah I watch Hulu while on the treadmill it helps
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Time goes by faster if I have a goal. Gardening is good for this, as is hiking trail maintenance. I have to tear myself away.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has successfully kept my attention while doing cardio at the gym is Seinfeld.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I like to watch them for motivation or good information to learn but the trick for me to workout longer is to walk further. I have no choice but to exercise longer because I still have to make it back home. (I walk to the bridge that is close to 2 miles away and the bridge itself is 1.7 miles) If I want to do more for the day, I just go past the bridge into the park that is right off of it. Plus its so beutiful so it keeps me motivated to stay out as long as possible. If it helps you to watch or listen to documentaries while you work out then keep doing it. Sometimes I download one of them onto my mp3 player and listen to it instead of music so I can relate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    IHeart radio (free) is my friend. I usually listen to sports talk radio. Usually when I ride or am on the treadmill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If I'm at the elliptical at home i got Food network on...I'm all about contrast :D