What does it take for a female to get a 6 pack?

Options
So im wondering, those who have achieved this phenomenon... how did you do it??? What exactly does it take??

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I think typically a bodyfat percent below 20% is needed for women to see some ab definition, some may need to be lower than others. For a really defined 6 pack, probably closer to 15%. This isn't usually a bodyfat that is sustainable for women long term though.
  • Pocket__Cthulhu
    Pocket__Cthulhu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Check out any of the threads in motivation and support about ladies heavy lifting. It got me in the weight section of the gym the next day because the results are phenomenal. There's also a lot of good chatter about what programs they employed to get there.
  • kirstengeffen
    kirstengeffen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My body fat is pretty low... I think around 19% I'm by no means fat, I've just never been able to achieve the "abs like slabs" look.. I'm petite though, I see a personal trainer twice a week and do my own weight training 3 times a week and I run 5 times a week my diet is relatively clean with the occasional treat... but nothing :(
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The same as it is with a man.
    1.Strong core muscles.
    2.consistency.
    3.Low body fat percentage.
    4.Not sure how much nutrition matters in the long run( it's an individual case, depending how much fat has accumulated and for how long). I only say this because some people are genetically prone to have good everything and eat like they don't care, don't track macros/calories and have great bodies.
    5. Genetics.
    6. resistance/and cardio.

Think that about covers it.

And the joke of the day. Go to the store, and you can get a 6 pack for about 4-6 dollars. :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Women, healthy, fit women, have more body fat than men do. That right there will hide the abdominal muscle definition that constitute 6-pack abs. Get your body fat low enough to have 6-pack abs and you lose your mense. Which, come to think of it, could be your goal anyway.
  • kirstengeffen
    kirstengeffen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Women, healthy, fit women, have more body fat than men do. That right there will hide the abdominal muscle definition that constitute 6-pack abs. Get your body fat low enough to have 6-pack abs and you lose your mense. Which, come to think of it, could be your goal anyway.

What do you mean could be my goal?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing anything at 19%, you may need to be more in the 14-15% range. (The typical caliper or online calculator methods are pretty inaccurate. So you could be higher than you think if you're getting your number from something like that.)
    But again, this isn't a healthy place to be long term. Many bikini/figure competitors have spoke about how they can't maintain this. Many go to the doctor to get bloodwork done after getting this lean for shows to make sure they haven't wacked out their hormones.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who was about 165 cm tall and about 130 lbs and she dieted on a plan of powdered meal packs (about 500 calories a day) before a holiday and her six pack was showing. She used to run and do spinning several times a week. I would have loved to look like that but my motivation runs out and I only eat real food! Hope this helps!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Genetics, low body fat, a good muscle base.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    Genetics, low body fat, a good muscle base.

this + strict logging +micro/macro adherence + progressive lifting routine
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I have thick skin on my tummy, always have, even as a little girl. I have been very thin, as a child, and as an adult, and it is very difficult to get that ripped 6-pack. I think I would have to be underweight or risk hormonal imbalance in order to achieve that look. I am muscular, we just all hold our fat differently.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,467 Member
    Options
    Genetics. I started seeing my abs at a bmi of over 21, and had a very nice four pack at 20 when I was still doing strength workouts. I do carry my padding elsewhere as you might imagine :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In addition to being at a very low BF%, genetics is going to play a big role I think. I know a lot of really lean, healthy, and fit ladies who have very nice figures and flat stomaches and whatnot...but I only know one who actually has "slab abs" and she doesn't maintain those year around...just gets really lean for a little while but it's pretty hard to maintain.

"Slab abs" are pretty difficult for even guys to maintain...at least guys that are outside of their 20s. Being super lean is rough on the body and makes the hormones go all wonky. Some dudes are genetically blessed though...as are some ladies.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Not true. I maintained a 6 pack for a year before starting a bulk and I still had my period the entire time. Some women lose it due to eating at a very low calorie level for a long time.

OP: The first link is a thread I wrote about what it takes to get a six pack. It's the same for men and women. Lifting, dieting and time will get you there. How your abs look when you get there will be based on genetics.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You don't have to risk a "hormone imbalance" to achieve a 6 pack as a female. I consume about 2000 calories a day and exercise about 3/4 times a week and have been able maintain a pretty tight stomach with visible abs, even after having 2 kids (via c-section) and being over 40. The key finding what works for you so your results can be sustainable. I lost about 10 lbs over two years ago, but most importantly lowered my BF%. I guess a lot has to do with genetics too.