Ok to work out during pregnancy but when you find out your carrying TWINS it's a whole new ball game

Options
So this is my issue. Learning I was pregnant then researching if it was ok or not to work out and finding that it was perfectly fine as a matter of fact it is actually encouraged. Low impact of course. Then learning that no matter how well the pregnancy is going any multiple pregnancy is always considered high risk. So what now. Walking only? Does anyone out in MFP land have any advice or tips they can give me. I'm 5' 4" and 200 lbs so I'm already considered obese. I want the twins to be healthy but I don't want to gain a lot of weight. HELP!!!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to ask your doctor!! High risk is high risk.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Congrats for the babies! You should probably aks your doc directly, they're the one to know your situation best! my cousin had lovely twin girls and she did a bit of low impact exercise (walking, swimming, and yoga for pregnant women).
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Wait gain in any situation comes from overeating rather than under-exercising, which is why we're always told that you can't out-train a bad diet. Exercising during pregnancy with one child also depends on your base fitness level. For example, a lady in my spin class, who was neither over weight nor unfit before she became pregnant, has happily carried on training into her 8th month. However, she was fit before she got pregnant. To start a fitness regime in pregnancy, whether with one or two, is usually regarded with caution. If your situation now dictates that you can't exercise, but you don't want to gain a huge amount of weight, then just eat sensibly and within your calorie limit appropriate to pregnancy?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    So this is my issue. Learning I was pregnant then researching if it was ok or not to work out and finding that it was perfectly fine as a matter of fact it is actually encouraged. Low impact of course. Then learning that no matter how well the pregnancy is going any multiple pregnancy is always considered high risk. So what now. Walking only? Does anyone out in MFP land have any advice or tips they can give me. I'm 5' 4" and 200 lbs so I'm already considered obese. I want the twins to be healthy but I don't want to gain a lot of weight. HELP!!!

You need to discuss this with your dr and trust absolutely no one else. My pregnancies were high risk, with different restrictions each. In one case, there were contractions as early as in the first trimester, in another there were issues with the blood flow to the baby. In both these pregnancies, exercise was strictly forbidden, for periods of time the only thing I was allowed to do was walk to the bathroom. It was not something I could have predicted or figured out by googling. Each pregnancy is different. Only your dr can let you know what is and is not safe.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doc. My bf had twins last year. She worked out as much as she felt she could throughout her pregnancy but she started at a healthy weight with a regular workout program before getting pregnant. It's possible, but very independent of each person's pregnancy! Good luck and congrats!
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor first. I would suggest pool exercises in a class room setting. (So that help can be called if something happens). My local Y has a pool class for pregnant women. If you don't have a pool available then look for a local prenatal yoga class. And find a good massage therapist.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    As others have said.... you need to talk to your doctor.

In general for pregnant women it is recommended that after the 1st trimester they switch to:
    Avoiding prone or supine positions
    Avoid exercise which raise the heart rate above 65% HR Max
    Exercises should be performed in a sitting or standing position
    Exercise should be performed in an endurance range (high repetitions), a slow pace, and low weight
    etc.

But if it's a twin pregnancy? I'm not sure. Your doctor may have specific protocols for that.
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As a mom of twins, I agree with previous posters.......ASK YOUR DOCTOR / MFM. Sometimes these two have different opinions as well. Twin pregnancies are automatically considered high risk. As an aside...if your OB has not done a sonogram yet, make sure you get regular ones throughout the pregnancy, even early on, especially with identical twins. My twins are TTTS survivors (twin twin Transfusion syndrome) because of early and regular sonograms. Sorry if I freak you out....not my intention at all. Twin mom's are near and dear to my heart. :) oh and one more piece of advice.....when those babies arrive, keep them on the same feeding and sleeping schedule for your own sanity. :smiley:
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Twins are awesome!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "Alex- I'll take 'questions for doctors not internet strangers' for 500 please"
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Why aren't you asking your OB?!?!?! This seems like an absurd place to obtain medical advice!