Alcoholic? Anybody else?

misskate719
misskate719 Posts: 92
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
so, I guess I'm an alcoholic- I drink it pretty much EVERY day. I've lost quite a bit of weight so far WHILE drinking- so, is alcohol really THAT bad ? I've heard it causes cellulite ( which I DO have) but in order to get the toned body I want, do I need to cut it out completely ??? anyone else out there with an alcohol problem trying to lose weight, or have lost weight- I'd love to hear what you have to say. thank you!!!

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    im drinking a beer now ... but Ill quit when its gone ;)
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Well not that I am willing to admit it but I do abuse alcohol. I however haven't been losing much weight bc of my drinking habits
  • bjenny12345
    Oh and I am about to crack open beer #3. WHAT? I had a rough day!
  • CarmenSox
    CarmenSox Posts: 110 Member
    im an alcoholic... i am sober today. I had an opposite effect. I coudlnt lose weight while drinking. No matter how little I ate.
  • kterranova2
    kterranova2 Posts: 3 Member
    I don't have alcohol related weight loss, but it is likely that your weight loss could be attributed to malnutrition. You may not be eating enough food and are instead replacing it with alcohol, which yes, has calories but useless ones.
  • toolfan58
    toolfan58 Posts: 1 Member
    How much do you drink each day? If it's one or two glasses of wine or beer, that is considered fine. More than that can cause some serious health problems.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Also, I lost 20 pounds so far, and I the first 10 pounds I was drinking 5+ drinks 4x a week... (without MFP)
    the last 10 pounds I lost, I still drank, but definately not as much as a used to at all.. maybe like 3 drinks a week.

if you've lost weight so far, i think you will be fine. Just think about all the celebrities out there who you KNOW drink. lol like Lindsey Lohan or anyone else. I'm assuming they all drink, but I guess i don't know. I think you'll be fine.
    && you're NOT an alcoholic!!! maybe compared to the people on this site you feel like it, but a drinking in the evening daily is not alcoholic =]
  • Well- I have usually 3 to 4 mixed drinks a day- plus some shots usually. And when I wake up hungover- it's WAY hard to get to the gym- and I get drunk munchies, which sucks. I know it's unhealthy, but I enjoy it. Maybe I'll just try and keep drinking to the weekends. Ooooo. This white Russian is YUMMY 
  • bjenny12345
    Well- I have usually 3 to 4 mixed drinks a day- plus some shots usually. And when I wake up hungover- it's WAY hard to get to the gym- and I get drunk munchies, which sucks. I know it's unhealthy, but I enjoy it. Maybe I'll just try and keep drinking to the weekends. Ooooo. This white Russian is YUMMY 

Drunk munchies are the pits! I try to remember its just the alcohol speaking lol * goes off to Google a white Russian recipe*
  • mustanggirl_2011
    mustanggirl_2011 Posts: 116 Member
    I like to have 1-2 glasses of wine a night-but i have read that it will slow down the weight loss process so I have cut way back and try to save the wine for a few nights a week. Good luck :)
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    alcohol is not what hinders my weight loss. Its when i decide to make mac n cheese at 2am when i get home drunk. Never fails.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    alcohol is not what hinders my weight loss. Its when i decide to make mac n cheese at 2am when i get home drunk. Never fails.

I agree here. I really don't drink anymore. If I do it's when we go out to dinner, and I can't have more than 2 drinks. A while back I really used to abuse alcohol. I just can't do it anymore. It makes me feel gross. When I drank than I would eat and eat and eat!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Do you feel you have a problem? I am losing weight to be healthy, I have a son and I want more children and i want to see my grand children grow up too. I want to be strong and have fun.

You are ruining your insides. if you are not eating properly and drinking too much, you are going to shrivel up and die. Sorry, you will get really small and them your liver with decay your entire body will expand and you will look disgusting and then you will die. seen it before.
  • Do you feel you have a problem? I am losing weight to be healthy, I have a son and I want more children and i want to see my grand children grow up too. I want to be strong and have fun.

You are ruining your insides. if you are not eating properly and drinking too much, you are going to shrivel up and die. Sorry, you will get really small and them your liver with decay your entire body will expand and you will look disgusting and then you will die. seen it before.

I don't drink THAT much- And I do eat healthy - usually. Except when I get the drunk munchies. I'm done drinking for awhile as of today. I'd rather be healthy and toned.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    If you're an alcoholic then I would say weight loss/gain is the least of your worries.

Are you seeking any sort of professional help?
  • usafbeach
    usafbeach Posts: 147 Member
    The alcohol I consume is directly counterproductive to my level of physical fitness. This is something I recognize.

I favor high-gravity, high-calorie beers (e.g., Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA, which packs 295 calories into 12 fl oz.). I even make my own beer. You might say it's a passion of mine. I don't feel compelled to drink though. It's just something I thoroughly enjoy. I weigh the enjoyment of my beer against the effort that will be required to counteract my drinking, and I find a comfortable middle ground.

If you find yourself so hungover you often miss workouts you previously planned, if you consume 4+ drinks a day on a daily basis.... you might not be in control of your drinking any more.
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 207 Member
    I am by no means an alcoholic but when I have a few drinks I'll drink the low cal beer (Mgd64) lol it just sounds healthier.

Anyways yes alcohol can hinder fat loss. Alcohol is what keeps that annoying beer gut growing or the lovely love handles...cellulite! One shot of vodka is 100 EMPTY cals. Empty cals feed fat and help it keep growing. Drinks are ok and fun here and there but know when to control it.. AA meetings help

Good luck :)
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 207 Member
    Do you feel you have a problem? I am losing weight to be healthy, I have a son and I want more children and i want to see my grand children grow up too. I want to be strong and have fun.

I don't drink THAT much- And I do eat healthy - usually. Except when I get the drunk munchies. I'm done drinking for awhile as of today. I'd rather be healthy and toned.

3-4mixed drinks and some shots is what you said you have daily...that is TOO much. Also enuf to cause organ damage. Not trying to "persecute" you but you seem in denial of your problem. Tolerance will build then it'll be 4-6mixed drinks with some shots. Fix it before it goes to far! Promise your body will feel so much better!! I used to drink a lot (mostly beer) like up to an 18 pack..and am glad I quit! Those were my drunken teen days tho..I'm an adult now so time to act the part. Weekends are ok for fun but yeah...
This discussion has been closed.