Office workers - work outs at your desk?

Options
2»

Replies

• deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a desk cycle. I don't keep it at work, but I do work from home every evening as well as in the office so I pedal on it for about 2 hours each night while I work from home and when I'm leisurely on my computer, like now... I love being able to fit in a little workout.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Just curious... do desk cycles make any noise?
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Just get up and walk around for 5 minutes every hour. There are new studies out saying that sitting for extended periods of time is as bad for you as smoking. Anecdotal evidence (me!) says that after years of sitting for my job and school, I'm in terrible shape. I'm not going to work out at my desk, but I have a watch that vibrates every 55 minutes to remind me it's time to get up and move. I walk to the water cooler, to the washroom, or even a couple rounds around the office, just to get some blood flowing. It helps a lot.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    Just curious... do desk cycles make any noise?

Not at all. Mine is whisper quiet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There's nothing I could do at my desk that is going to improve any aspect of my fitness. I make time for dedicated exercise to improve my fitness.

I do things to try to improve my NEAT though, like going over to a colleague's office or cubicle if I need something rather than emailing or paging them...I take the stairs...I get up an walk around for 5 minutes or so every hourish...I use the restroom on the 1st floor...I park as far away from the building as possible, etc. This has nothing to do with my fitness, just things to try to move a little more.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I workout before work because I have a desk job....but I do purposely get up from my desk often to take a walk...where there's a will, there's a way :smiley:
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I could sit at my desk all day but like others, I try to get up a move every 30 minutes. My goal isn't to squeeze in more exercise but to move. I too saw an article that sitting for long hours without getting up is bad for you. I would walk to the kitchen to get more water, or when I'd go to the bathroom I would do 10 squats in the stall or do a squat and hold it for 15 seconds or 30 seconds. My company has offices on 2 different floors so I would take the stairs versus the elevator.

I'm now in a different location so I can't use the stairs. But I can do squats at my desk without people seeing me. So I'll do that or, keeping my right leg straight I raise it to about hip level then lower it. I do that 10 times then repeat on the left. Or I do alternating slow high knees.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I have a small cup for my water so that I can get a walk downstairs to the kitchen and back up to my office every time I need water. It helps me get some light exercise in throughout the day, gives my eyes a rest and keeps me on track with my water intake.
  • ArmywifeOpper
    ArmywifeOpper Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I already do at least 1/2 an hour of cardio everyday, but that desk cycle sounds interesting. I'm trying to work in anything additional to what I'm doing and I have time for. I have 3 little ones, twins who are 2 and a half, and a 4 year old, I work full time and I'm going to school, so I don't have much more time than 1/2 an hour, I wish I did, I would probably get in at least an hour of cardio if I could. But thanks for all the suggestions. I'm lucky I have my own office, so I can get in some squats and knee raises every hour. :p
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    No, but if I didn't have access to a gym at work, I probably would buy one of those desk cycles.