One tweak or change that helped

Options

Replies

• generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging. I pre-log my food (sometimes I have to make adjustments to grams of an apple or something) but it gives me a good idea where I stand, especially on protein and iron which are hard for me. It also helps me avoid impulse 'bites' or treats I don't really want.

I never pre-log exercise though- I want to be sure I get out and do it ;)
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Accountability. Meaning, looking at what I eat, being honest with myself about it; measuring, weighing, logging everything. Started with WW about 5.5 years ago, worked perfectly, have been at or below goal weight for 5 years; transituoned to MFP since its free & makes it just as easy to log. For me, without accountability, weight is challenging to manage.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Switching my main size portions to vegetables and drinking water has made me feel fuller.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    When I first started I didn't have issues losing or being in a deficit, when things started to "stick" I stopped eating at the salad bar for lunch and eyeballing, and made sure to weigh on my lunches on a food scale the night before.

I also learned a high volume way of eating that is very satisfying to me.

So what is this "high volume" way? Just a lot more veggies?

That is one thing, but it's also looking at an ingredient of a meal and thinking about how I can make it go farther. Like choosing to use egg whites instead of full eggs, so that I can also have room for avocado. There's also certain substitutions I'll make for higher calorie foods. I use a lot of lean meat and low fat dairy so I can have larger portions.

But vegetables do play a big role. I eat hundreds and hundreds of grams of veg per day.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Is there one thing that you did that made a difference: in how much weight you lost, how you felt in general, your hunger level, etc??

For me, giving up alcohol really helps me keep at my calorie goal. I also am trying to move to more "whole foods" because I'm realizing that I don't feel as good as I could eating processed foods.

What else have you done that's helped?

No strict rules on what type of food you can eat, when you can eat it or any particular structure to adhere to. That helps me a lot. Somedays I don't want to eat in the morning, some days I do. Sometimes I have carbs before a workout, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll have high GI carbs after a workout, other times I'll have a meal which contains veggies and fat. It's nice to just go with the flow.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking calories and weigh my food for me.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    Weighing everything and moving away from the idea of 'forbidden foods.' There's some things I don't eat nearly as often as I used to because the calories just aren't worth it for me currently but if I really want something I make it work.

This. In the past 10 days or so I've had tacos and a cheeseburger.

Also, for me, last time I got seriously stuck at 165. I tried 12:8 IF and the scale finally started moving down again.
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote once, a long time ago, that said "A year from now you'll wish you had started today". Never thought much about it but this year, starting on January 1, I finally decided there might be something to it. My goad was 1-2 pounds/week until I reach goal. In my old yo-yo dieting mindset that would have been ridiculously slow, and I would give up after the first setback. 13 weeks in, 14 pounds down, and thrilled about it! :)
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Losing the all or nothing mentality made a huge difference. One bad day doesn't mean failure over all. It took me a long time to realize that and I still every now and then struggle w that sort of thinking but perspective helps.

Thanks for the reminder! Was feeling very frustrated by the up-tick on the scale this morning. I constantly have to remind myself that there will be fluctuations and it's okay to not be perfect in the eating/ exercising department!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing was just to stop overeating. ;)

Not thinking I had to have a sweet treat every single day and upping my fiber intake were also big helps for me.
  • surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me, the big thing has been focusing on what I have achieved, rather than on how far I have to go. I will never weigh 290, 280, etc. again. That stops me from thinking it's hopeless and I may as well have whatever it is I think I need at the time.

Foodwise, giving up soda has helped me immensely. I used to budget in a regular cola every day, but it was at the expense of food. Now that I eat those 140 calories rather than drink them, I am not as hungry and I desire sweets less in general.

Even though I know it makes no difference in weight loss, I stop eating by 7 or 8 at night. This helps me sleep better, and a rested me is a more motivated me.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    qb63 wrote: »
    I saw a quote once, a long time ago, that said "A year from now you'll wish you had started today". Never thought much about it but this year, starting on January 1, I finally decided there might be something to it. My goad was 1-2 pounds/week until I reach goal. In my old yo-yo dieting mindset that would have been ridiculously slow, and I would give up after the first setback. 13 weeks in, 14 pounds down, and thrilled about it! :)

That's great Qb63! Good for you!
  • jpoutney
    jpoutney Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've started logging my workouts manually in a journal. Seeing progress in my physical ability has helped me when I have those scale fluctuations. I also don't eat again after dinner, just tea if I feel the need for flavour/sweets. Plus, all the other comments above!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Not baking for myself. I make Gluten free stuff for DH and the occasional brownie mix and at the kids' request, but that's it. No cake.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Food scale. I had no idea that a lot of the things I was making for myself and thought were "healthy" were much higher calorie than I thought.
  • jax_006
    jax_006 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Ditto this! :smiley:
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Limiting my white starches bread, white rice, pasta etc... They always leave me feeling hungry earlier than if I choose whole wheat or if I limit my portion and up the amount of protein.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    drinking water. I used to mistake thirst for hunger. Now I drink a glass of water and then if I still feel hungry, I'll eat.
  • aftnrid88
    aftnrid88 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think all of the little things I did were really important for the changes I've made. When I first started my boyfriend and I wrote down goals, and they weren't just "lose __lbs," they were also: Conscientious snacking, deny cravings; portion food intentionally and portion before you eat; be mindful of hunger and fullness feelings; be patient; and if we slip (for any reason), forgive ourselves! Bridge the gap as soon as possible!

I log my food honestly, I reflect on my progress frequently. I make a list before grocery shopping and I don't buy "junk food."
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    jax_006 wrote: »

Ditto this! :smiley:

Another one I like is "What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail." I know tracking and exercise work for me, so I stopped trying to argue myself out of doing it.