Opinions on 21 day fix

Options
Molly08
Molly08 Posts: 153 Member
Hello,
I'm looking to start a new diet plan paired with an exercise program. In the past I've loved some of the beachbody products (namely the Chalene Johnson workout ones). I'm seriously considering doing this one.
Background on me:
A few years ago I lost 70 lbs in 8 months with weight watchers, over the last 4 years I've gain 42 of those lbs back.
I'm currently working with a personal trainer 60min 3x a week.
Looking for some advice on diet plans.

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    there are less expensive programs but anything that works is success.. my best friend is a beachbody coach success story so i will never say a bad thing about 21 day fix
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    So you lost weight on "Weight Watchers" and gained half of it back. Now you want to try a new "diet". Why not learn how to eat for life and not worry about gaining it back? Plus, you won't waste so much money.

Use MFP to track your food and learn how it relates to your weight. Soon enough you will learn how to eat to be healthy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You don't need a 'diet plan'. Just log your food as accurately as possible and stay under your calories.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If weight watchers worked, why not go back to it?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Molly08 wrote: »
    I'm looking to start a new diet plan paired with an exercise program.
    A few years ago I lost 70 lbs in 8 months with weight watchers, over the last 4 years I've gain 42 of those lbs back.
    Looking for some advice on diet plans.

To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. That means to eat less than you burn (you know that).
    You don't need any special diet or exercise program. Eating less should never cost money (except buy yourself a food scale). The best diet plan is one you can stick to. The most suited person to make your diet plan, is you. You know what you like and dislike, you know your schedule and how much time you have to cook. What will you have learnt when you've lost the desired weight? To follow a program, or to eat/train for life? Eating well takes some effort, but it isn't rocket science :D
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I might get slammed in here, but 21 day fix is helping me. It's helping me to learn what "clean eating" is all about and what a healthy balance is. I enjoy the workouts on the 21 day fix.

Some people can use simply MFP and get results. I found 21 day is helping me. I think you've got to find what works for you!

I'll be happy to answer any specific ?s you might have. I'm not on the forums much, so feel free to send a message if so.
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    In June 2015, I started the 21 Day Fix by following the food list provided, but counted calories with MyFitnessPal instead of the containers (they were not the easiest to work with for me), and lost 30 lbs in the first 3 months. Once down 30, I added the workouts - they were hard but I made my way through them. I have done 2 full 21 Day cycles.

I still eat clean and I have completed P90 and the 21 Day Fix, and started a Couch-to-5k running plan. Since starting in June 2015, I have lost 92 lbs.

The food list is a standard clean eating diet. The containers are designed for portion control and can be replaced with a scale and MyFitnessPal. The workouts I thought were very good and challenging. Shakeology is very overpriced - I did not even consider using it.

On a whole, for the workouts, I found it worth it - but your mileage may vary...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    1. Forget the boxes. Buy a $20 food scale and log here. A world of difference.
    2. Google the videos. People post them online for free all the time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1. Forget the boxes. Buy a $20 food scale and log here. A world of difference.
    2. Google the videos. People post them online for free all the time.

A scale will give you much more versatility than colored tupperware. 21 Day Fix containers (and recipe book) gives you even fewer options than Weight Watchers.

21 Day Fix may teach you to "eat clean"....which is unnecessary for weight loss. But even more important (in my case) .....21 Day Fix and it's container for veggies, container for fruit, container for protein, won't be a lifestyle change for me. I won't spend a lifetime eating ingredients..... it's regular food that I need to manage, now and forever.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My #1 reason not to like the containers... I had a (coach) friend who was doing the plan and posting her meals online. She made some fried rice... with only one egg for protein, because it's all that could fit in the protein container... It's like extra protein was a bad thing... and she was eating 1200 calories maybe while saying that her bodymedia gave her a daily calorie burn of 2500 calories.

Couldn't help shaking my head there.
  • SaraBaldwin87
    SaraBaldwin87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm with the other pro 21 day fixers. I'm on day 7 so fairly new but I like the containers and knowing what and how much of certain food I should be eating. Starting on day 22 I will restart and eventually learn portions and things I should be eating and how much. It is a lifestyle change but for me this keeps it clear and easier to follow
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    21 Day Fix is basically portion control using overpriced containers. Get your own containers and a scale, as others here have recommended. Don't put a certain number of days on your plan. It's a lifetime change, so that's what you should aim for. Portion control and more calories out than in. That's the magic formula.
  • simontossrwanda
    simontossrwanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    21 day plans and other rapid weight loss but short term diets are fads. Designed to help you for a short term. What happens after 21 days when they finish? Or after a month when your enthusiasm starts to drop off? These short term ideas don't help you to sustain a long term healthy diet. The best way is to set a realistic goal. Don't try and lose too much weight straight away. Log your calorie intake and log your exercise. But be honest about it. Both my wife and I are losing weight at the moment. I am aiming for a pound a week, my wife is aiming for 2 pounds a week. I actually have ended up losing just over 2 pounds a week. Just through logging our calories and our exercise and eating healthy food.

Remember though that your body needs carbs, protein and fats(among other items) . Just in the right amounts.

If you want a long term weight loss or healthy diet then start with a long term plan.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Very much on the fence with this one. At my age, I've tried every fad diet out there ---and gained it all back + more after a while. IF (& that is a very huge IF) the 21 Day Fix can help someone learn about portion control and nutritional values, cool. It will be valuable and worth spending the money only if the person actually does learn from it and incorporates it into their life going forward. There is no quick fix to a healthy weight. And like others have said, the only monies need to be spent would be on a food scale; I would add to that and say a good solid pair of work out shoes. (or 3 ;) Cannot skimp on those shoes!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Google the container amounts and volumes, so you don't waste money on overpriced Tupperware.

I had no use whatsoever for the overly restrictive foods list.

That said, it helped get me to eat more nutrient-dense foods. It also helped me learn how to fit in things like chocolate cake (real chocolate cake, not some 21DF recipe) and still be within my goals for the day.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    21 day plans and other rapid weight loss but short term diets are fads. Designed to help you for a short term. What happens after 21 days when they finish? Or after a month when your enthusiasm starts to drop off? These short term ideas don't help you to sustain a long term healthy diet. The best way is to set a realistic goal. Don't try and lose too much weight straight away. Log your calorie intake and log your exercise. But be honest about it. Both my wife and I are losing weight at the moment. I am aiming for a pound a week, my wife is aiming for 2 pounds a week. I actually have ended up losing just over 2 pounds a week. Just through logging our calories and our exercise and eating healthy food.

Remember though that your body needs carbs, protein and fats(among other items) . Just in the right amounts.

If you want a long term weight loss or healthy diet then start with a long term plan.

I'm ambivalent about the 21 day fix, but those arguments aren't fair :p The name is dreadful IMO, and it alludes to the myth that it takes 21 days to change a habit. It's never suggested that one round is enough, and there's no problem doing it again until you reach goal weight. The food on the program is healthy and balanced. The problem arises when you cram too much into those boxes, or you can unwillingly end up undereating. The rigid food plans is my personal pet peeve. (And the cleaning of all those boxes, lol.) And then there's the cost. And possibly pushing of Shakeology.