Trick to exercising longer

Options

Replies

• jackslovely
    jackslovely Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    If I'm at the elliptical at home i got Food network on...I'm all about contrast :D

I do the same thing or criminal minds on netflix. When I'm walking at work during break, up beat music to up my pace.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I do watch Netflix while I'm doing cardio, and it does pass the time, but I prefer something fictional, with an engaging storyline!

^^This. I either watch Netflix or Hulu Plus on the treadmill or elliptical. I'm binge watching Blue Bloods right now alternating with The Walking Dead.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Nursing readings... Lots of nursing readings (It's easy to meet my 14K step goal this way). And Netflix.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If I have to exercise inside, I do commercial intervals. Watch a TV show with commercials ... ride easy or walk during the show, then ride as hard as I can or run during the commercials. 30-60 min goes by in no time. :)

But I so much prefer to exercise outside. I can start walking or cycling outside and just keep walking or cycling for hours.

I like the commercial interval idea! I used to always do timed by the minutes but this sounds more interesting. Thanks for the idea
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    exercising outside
  • mindfulmama1977
    mindfulmama1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't think of anything worse to "entertain" me, but whatever floats your boat.

It's surprisingly motivational lol usually there great info on diet , nutrition, and exercise. And the people have such great attitudes.
  • mindfulmama1977
    Options
    The only thing that has successfully kept my attention while doing cardio at the gym is Seinfeld.

Love it
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I usually read fiction on my kindle while on the bike or the elliptical. But this embarrassing thing happens - I cry easily, and when I read a touching part in a story, here I am at the gym in public crying. I've probably given quite a few people the wrong idea - that something really terrible is going on in my life or I just really hate cardio.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I set up a 'walking desk' (a piece of wood) on my treadmill so time I used to spend sitting on my butt playing video games and working has turned into walking time. For other exercise it's audiobooks all the way! Otherwise I get too busy fiddling around with my music, trying to find the 'perfect song.'
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I like watching sport when I work out on a treadmill! I find it gets my adrenalin going. Athletics or rugby is the best for keeping me focused! I think I did my best ever 10k time watching a rugby match...
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I watch my favorite sport highlights when I run on the treadmill. They are exciting and fast paced.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Law and Order is on when I am at the gym, sometimes on two different channels at the same time, and back to back episodes. I use the elliptical for 65 minutes and it passes the time to watch, Law & Order, SVU or Criminal Intent. I am not much of a tv watcher at home, but in the 14 months, since I got a gym membership, I have gotten to really enjoy this show. I even extend the time if I happen to be in the middle of an episode just to find out what happens. I watch the Food Network too, if I have seen the Law and Order episodes. This past Christmas, the Hallmark channel had their Christmas movies on all December. I watched them every day, even though I only saw 65 minutes of the movies. I love Christmas movies!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    At home on the bike I catch up on my shows or watch Netflix... I actually save my shows so if I want to watch them during the day, it's only on the bike.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Zombies,Run! is my running friend. The story line is interesting and keeps me entertained. Collecting materials as I run to build or repair my base turns it into a game and makes me want to run more (more running = more supplies).
  • AlisonLS
    AlisonLS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Upbeat music helps me. Nothing slow or I slow down, and not even on purpose. Amazon music has really good playlists for workouts if you are a Prime member.

Google play music has "exercise stations" like cardio pop or upbeat pop, there is also a r&b and hip hop. I need the fast beat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Run outside!!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I run on my treadmill, I listen to music, and look at my view of the Columbia River Gorge. Works for me.
  • mindfulmama1977
    Options
    Law and Order is on when I am at the gym, sometimes on two different channels at the same time, and back to back episodes. I use the elliptical for 65 minutes and it passes the time to watch, Law & Order, SVU or Criminal Intent. I am not much of a tv watcher at home, but in the 14 months, since I got a gym membership, I have gotten to really enjoy this show. I even extend the time if I happen to be in the middle of an episode just to find out what happens. I watch the Food Network too, if I have seen the Law and Order episodes. This past Christmas, the Hallmark channel had their Christmas movies on all December. I watched them every day, even though I only saw 65 minutes of the movies. I love Christmas movies!

We sound like the same person hahaha u love everything about this
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    If I have to exercise inside, I do commercial intervals. Watch a TV show with commercials ... ride easy or walk during the show, then ride as hard as I can or run during the commercials. 30-60 min goes by in no time. :)

But I so much prefer to exercise outside. I can start walking or cycling outside and just keep walking or cycling for hours.

I like the commercial interval idea! I used to always do timed by the minutes but this sounds more interesting. Thanks for the idea

And you'll discover just how long those commercials go on for!! :lol: There have been many times I've thought, "You've got to be kidding ... not another one!" as I'm gasping and wheezing and trying to keep up the pace to the end.