Today is gonna suck.

Options
Weekends are always hard for me to keep on track but I have been craving beef brisket and it doesn't help that I keep watching BBQ videos on YouTube. So,there is a brisket flat on the Big Green Egg right now smoking away at 250. Plus you can't BBQ without a beer so I expect my willpower is gonna slip around 3 pm.

If I can keep it to 6 oz of beef and 1-2 beers I should be ok but today is gonna be a hard day. Gotta cut wood for a few hours so that may help but it probably won't be enough.
Wish me luck.

Replies

• nyred5
    nyred5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Enjoy!!! Wish I could join ya!!
    I reserve Saturdays for just that thing. Gonna grab me some cheesecake!!
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the reasons people give up on their weight loss efforts is because they are too strict with themselves and don't allow real life to happen sometimes. Enjoy your brisket and beer! As long as you don't overdo it and not everyday is a brisket and beer day, you're doing well!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it!

One day isn't going to derail anything in the long run.

I wish I was joining you in the upcoming brisket coma.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    GMAC2016 wrote: »
    Weekends are always hard for me to keep on track but I have been craving beef brisket and it doesn't help that I keep watching BBQ videos on YouTube. So,there is a brisket flat on the Big Green Egg right now smoking away at 250. Plus you can't BBQ without a beer so I expect my willpower is gonna slip around 3 pm.

If I can keep it to 6 oz of beef and 1-2 beers I should be ok but today is gonna be a hard day. Gotta cut wood for a few hours so that may help but it probably won't be enough.
    Wish me luck.

I could make brisket and beer fit for sure after cutting wood. However, I'd have to make sure I stopped at two beers lest my willpower be impaired.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Just eat smart this morning and tomorrow. No big deal.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of perspective. Why would weekends suck? Is eating larger amounts of tasty food going to make it taste better? Enjoy an actual serving size, slowly, you'll fill up faster than you think.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Cut that wood! Eat that brisket! Have those beers! You know you will eat less than you used to, and add in that wood cutting and that's what I call a lifestyle change that will get you where you're going.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Overall health doesn't just include a moderate diet and healthy weight, it also includes a healthy mind and spirit, so IMO, it's absolutely necessary to enjoy life and relax once in a while. If that includes enjoying brisket and beer on a lazy Saturday, I'm all for it! Sounds fantastic.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree! Saturdays are my going out to dinner days.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I went out for an enormous breakfast this morning with pancakes drenched in syrup, eggs, and corned beef hash.I find that I have to do this every so often otherwise I become diet fatigued. I say just do it and relax a bit.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What's a Big Green Egg?
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    What's a Big Green Egg?
    It's a brand of Komodo style ceramic cooker. They have a bit of a cult following but they are awesome. You can smoke low and slow for BBQ, you can crank the heat to 600 degrees and make amazing stone fired pizza etc, you can crank it even higher for searing steaks etc. It is a very versatile cooker. There are other brands that are similar but like I said, Eggheads are definitely a cult :)

I have often said that if my wife left me I would be sad, if I broke my BGE I would be devastated.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You're in this for the long term and have to figure out how to enjoy some brisket and beer occasionally for the rest of your life. I think chopping some wood is a pretty good compromise, and a reasonable thing to do if you know you're going to eat more on a given day.

Plus, based on my knowledge of BBQ (and my credentials include regular use of my bullet smoker, as well as being born and raised in Kansas City, living in Texas for four years, and working on fundraising plate sales with a good friend from South Carolina) the day cannot possibly suck if it has brisket and beer!!!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    valente347 wrote: »
    You're in this for the long term and have to figure out how to enjoy some brisket and beer occasionally for the rest of your life. I think chopping some wood is a pretty good compromise, and a reasonable thing to do if you know you're going to eat more on a given day.

Plus, based on my knowledge of BBQ (and my credentials include regular use of my bullet smoker, as well as being born and raised in Kansas City, living in Texas for four years, and working on fundraising plate sales with a good friend from South Carolina) the day cannot possibly suck if it has brisket and beer!!!

Well said.
  • cheer4beer
    cheer4beer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Think long term. Today's just one day. As long as you don't string many together, it's minor and needed occasionally. Just log it, good or bad. Then pick up where you left off tomorrow.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Eh, life is about living. To me, a bit of something delicious that I'm craving is totally worth it. Just throw in some extra exercise the next couple days and enjoy yourself!
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Well here is a testament to the power of MFP. Knowing folks were going to be looking at this, I did not have the beer I normally would have had (plus it snowed like crazy out so it wasn't a beer drinking sort of day). But the 6 oz of brisket was very good and I'm still under my goal, at least for now.
    Thanks all for the support.
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    GMAC2016 wrote: »
    Well here is a testament to the power of MFP. Knowing folks were going to be looking at this, I did not have the beer I normally would have had (plus it snowed like crazy out so it wasn't a beer drinking sort of day). But the 6 oz of brisket was very good and I'm still under my goal, at least for now.
    Thanks all for the support.

Great job! I bet the brisket was delicious. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Brisket and beer? Sounds like a good weekend to me!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    Options
    Hmm. With wood chopping thrown in I would suggest 8oz of brisket and a beer!!! You might (MIGHT) not achieve your target deficit; but, even of you don't, the occasional maintenance day is not going to hurt much. As I like to say... how much do you think this one day will affect your weight a year from now? Now if you go over by a lot on every single day...