Zombie Running Apps

Options
Hello fellow runners,
Who has used zombie running apps that have been helpful? I knew there were zombie runs, that I have not tried yet but just discovered the apps and as with everything, there is a ton of them available. Being a fan of all things zombie, it would kill me on my feet to not try out both the actual run and some of the apps.
My current running schedule is once a week in the 3 mile to 8 mile range at various speeds. Any cautions or recommendations would be appreciated!

Replies

• G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I used the zombies, run! couch to 5k app. Worked awesome, got me running 5 k. Not very fast mind, but with no stopping so great! It was entertaining, which was essential as I am not a runner, I was just doing it for the cardio.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    G33K_G1RL wrote: »
    I used the zombies, run! couch to 5k app. Worked awesome, got me running 5 k. Not very fast mind, but with no stopping so great! It was entertaining, which was essential as I am not a runner, I was just doing it for the cardio.

Thank you for that. If it got you running 5 k that speaks for itself. That is the one that comes up first in the search too. I will check it out.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Zombies,Run! is a fun one. It has a great story line. You get to build up your base with materials you find on your runs. If you go as far as to get a paid membership, you also get Training Plans, Supply Runs, Interval Training, etc. I'm currently using the free version on my android (I'm a legacy player on iPhone, because I paid for a lot of stuff before they released the free version...sadly though I can't transfer that information to my android phone :disappointed: ) Membership is $2.99 a month or $19.99 for the year. I miss having access to most of the app, but haven't been willing to pay for a membership so I can access everything on my Android (mostly because since I switched phones...I took a break from working out for a few months and only recently started using it again). I also used the 5k version when I was just getting into running.
  • troytroy11
    Options
    Shadow2soul-Cool. Thank you. I am going to download that in just a few minutes and see. Finding materials on my runs has me curious but also wanting to start before sun up to make it extra fun. Sorry about not being able to transfer that info to your droid. What a drag. Welcome back to running by the way!
  • shaken2010
    shaken2010 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I like zombie run. I find that the story distracts me from thinking I'm tired.
  • troytroy11
    Options
    Shaken-The distraction is good reason! Maybe help to run faster.....
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Zombies run, which the others have mentioned is the only one I have used
  • loldiz
    loldiz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also like Zombies couch to 5k - I find it keeps me exercising (not necessarily running but body moving) for longer than if I was just free running.
  • troytroy11
    Options
    Joreanasauro- It is good to have a third confirmation on that.
    Loldiz- I have not heard of that one, thank you. I will check it out as well. Good to get you moving more than just free running.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just tried zombie run for the first time and enjoyed it...also downloaded c25k but might stick with zombies for a bit
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of zombie apps but if anyone wants to have a zombie costume running party in real life sign me up!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the zombie running app because it wasn't just running; you'd stop and do knee highs, etc. It also had a "free run" which I felt defeated the purpose of it being a structured plan, so I skipped it, though that might not be an issue if you're not a beginner.
  • troytroy11
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sarah- thank you, it will be interesting to see which works better.
    xLyric- It has you stop and do knee highs? I better not try that one. I run in public. People that fight invisible zombies around here are wet heads. Don't want to be mistaken for that lol. End up on YouTube.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    troytroy11 wrote: »
    Sarah- thank you, it will be interesting to see which works better.
    xLyric- It has you stop and do knee highs? I better not try that one. I run in public. People that fight invisible zombies around here are wet heads. Don't want to be mistaken for that lol. End up on YouTube.
    @xLyric - That's the 5k training app. Have you tried the regular Zombies,Run! app yet? If not, you should. It's just running. There are some training plans, but they look to be just running/walking intervals. There is also an interval training section as well.
    @troytroy11 - That's in the 5k training app (not the regular Zombies,Run! app). The 5k training app has weeks were you do run 1 min, walk 1 min then 10 knee highs or calf raises or squats.
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have both the regular zombies run and the c25k. I did the first four weeks of the c25k and will likely go back to it eventually for the story, but I've taken to doing the regular app now. I'm a legacy user so I have access to everything (drop missions, interval training, races etc) without a subscription.

My partner and I also did the virtual race this year which has been a blast (and I love the shirt!!). Even did the 10k version though I walked a good deal of it.

For me the story and the community around ZR (the rofflenet) are the two biggest pulls.
  • troytroy11
    Options
    @shadow2soul -
    In that case the Zombies, Run! App would be better for me but the 5k seems like a fun one in general. Thank you for your feedback. The story line sounds fun! I am hoping they will introduce Negan and my 5k will go from 23 minutes to 15 lol.
  • troytroy11
    Options
    @silverdawnhawk
    What was the virtual run like? Is that where there is an entire group of people participating? It truly sounds like a blast!!!
    The community and story lines fascinate me as well. Thank you very much for our response and information.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am not a fan of zombie apps but if anyone wants to have a zombie costume running party in real life sign me up!

They do have such things, usually in the fall, in various places. I signed up for a Zombie Frenzy 5K trail run last Halloween, and signed up as a "chaser zombie." Roles were stumbler zombie, chaser zombie, and runner - stumblers hid throughout the woods before-hand, runners wore flags for zombies to grab, and a group of chasers was released a couple minutes behind each group of runners. It was a lot of fun. That one was in the Kansas City area, but they have similar events other places.

ETA: They had make-up done for zombies beforehand. I have one of my pics here showing my make-up off.
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @troytroy11
    The VR was amazing! This is their second (the first was in the fall last year). They create a "special mission" that is separate from the normal app story continuity. This race was a "prequel" that explores the original outbreak long before Abel township.

People from all over the world sign up and you have a week and a half to run the mission as either 5k or 10k. You can run multiple times during the race window. Each time you run the app posts your time for the run you did to the leaderboard, tracking your country as well so you can see how everyone is doing everywhere in the world.

They also do up race packs for everyone. I don't have a full picture of the pack on my right now. My partner and I got the "pro" pack with the long sleeved shirts. If you search zombies run virtual race 2016 you can likely find lots of pics of the shirt and medal.
  • troytroy11
    Options

They do have such things, usually in the fall, in various places. I signed up for a Zombie Frenzy 5K trail run last Halloween, and signed up as a "chaser zombie." Roles were stumbler zombie, chaser zombie, and runner - stumblers hid throughout the woods before-hand, runners wore flags for zombies to grab, and a group of chasers was released a couple minutes behind each group of runners. It was a lot of fun. That one was in the Kansas City area, but they have similar events other places.

ETA: They had make-up done for zombies beforehand. I have one of my pics here showing my make-up off.

That sounds like a blast! If there is anything like that in the NM area I will be sure to attend and race.