Favorite brand/type of hummus?

Options
I love, love, love hummus and I'm always looking for new ones to try! My favorite is the Chef Earl's brand (the Jalapeno flavor) and I got it at Whole Foods. It's only fifty calories per tablespoon, and it's amazing. (: What are your favorites? And where can I find them?

Replies

• AmandaMonique
    Options
    I've only tried the Sabra brand? It wasn't very good. Then one time I went to the Farmer's Market and this man calls himself "Dr. Hummus" and he makes it.. his Jalapeno one is TO DIE FOR. But I don't live there anymore and I'm not sure if he sells online? So I've just been experimenting with making it at home. Not too bad, but soaking the garbanzo beans takes FOREVER!
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I just tried a new one at Trader Joe's this week. It's a guacamole hummus, but much lower in fat and calories than actual guac. So delicious!!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Cedar's. It tastes great and is pretty low-cal. I switched to it from Sabra which is wayyyy too caloric.

Try the roasted red pepper.
  • YVL93
    YVL93 Posts: 121
    Options
    sabra roasted red pepper is good.
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Summer Fresh Avocado Hummus, only 50cals for 2 tbsp. I love to put it on sandwiches or in a wrap/pita, YUM!
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    My favorite is Joseph's original hummus, it's hard to find though, they never have it in the stores where I go to school in Florida only back home. I like the other flavors too but the original tastes great with carrots and sugar snap peas!
  • liveforfit
    liveforfit Posts: 39
    Options
    Today I tasted Atheno's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus...all I have to say is :noway: It tasted horrible! I've never tried Sabra because everybody says it has too many calories, so I just stay away from it in general. Avocado hummus sounds really good though! :)
  • missa1982
    missa1982 Posts: 30
    Options
    Lisa's Jalapeno and Lime, it's addictive! Maybe only found in New Zealand though?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to make my own. I've gotten Trader Joe's and Athenos, but I want something fresh with low sodium.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I love the sabra but you do have the control your portions of it. I eat it with wasa so that the calories balance out - if yuo eat it with something more caloric than the 2 items together can be kinda too much.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Athenos Spicy Three Pepper or sometimes I make my own.
  • tmarie4
    tmarie4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the Sabra brand? It wasn't very good. Then one time I went to the Farmer's Market and this man calls himself "Dr. Hummus" and he makes it.. his Jalapeno one is TO DIE FOR. But I don't live there anymore and I'm not sure if he sells online? So I've just been experimenting with making it at home. Not too bad, but soaking the garbanzo beans takes FOREVER!

I agree!!!!! Dr Hummus is YUMMY!!! I don't know if he sells online but its the only one I buy. Jalapeno Cilantro is my fav! If you are ever in AZ, he does sell in stores..specifically Aj's. His garlic pita chips are great too :0)
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Dunno if anyone's interested, but I've recently fallen in love with this recipe. I guess it's technically not hummus, as there's no tahini or garlic, but it's delicious! And I have a thing for rosemary...

Rosemary-Chickpea Dip

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup chopped green onions
    2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth (such as Swanson's Certified Organic)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add beans; sauté 1 minute. Place bean mixture and remaining ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Place bean mixture in a bowl.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm quit fond of mine...lol burned out a blender by not adding enough liquid. You can use canned garbonzo beans or chickpeas there the samething.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love the sabra but you do have the control your portions of it. I eat it with wasa so that the calories balance out - if yuo eat it with something more caloric than the 2 items together can be kinda too much.

Ooh - good idea on the Wasa crackers! I usually have it on cucumbers. Of course I pit everything that I USED to put on bread, crackers, etc. on cucumbers now, lol!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I really like Tribe brand. I've had Athenos and Sabra and haven't really liked it compared to Tribe but lets be honest I won't turn down hummus usually. My favorite is Tribe's lemon and 40 spices flavors.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Homemade....any flavors I've got in the fridge. I pretty much just google it every time I make it, never the same.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sabra Spinach and Artichoke is in my fridge right now!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I shop at Harris Teeter, and I love their Smoked Paprika Hummus. I dip baby carrots in it or sometimes spread it on whole wheat crackers. I love that stuff!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Athenos is by far my favorite widely available brand that I just pick up at Kroger. I ate Sabra when I was in school because it was all they every had and it's way too oily and just not as good to me.

I also really love this hummus brand I discovered at Walmart called Marketside (in the deli), and its so rich tasting without being any worse nutritionally as the Athenos. I love the Spinach Artichoke and Three Olive flavors.