Help a new vegitarian

Options
caitieemae
caitieemae Posts: 25 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone.
Yesterday I started a new journey. I've wanted to lead a vegitarian lifestyle for a long time because I love animals more than anything and hate the way they are treated in the meat industry. However, in the past, I turned a blind eye to all of their suffering because ignorance truly is bliss. I also used the excuse "but I love meat too much". Those excuses stop now.
I have decided that I will not be a full vegan straight for the start. I will still be eating milk products, eggs and fish for right now.
Does anyone want to share some yummy vegitarian recipies with me? I need all the help I can get while I start this journey.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have found Pinterest to be a great source for vegan recipes. I am sure they have plenty of recipes for pescatarians also.
  • pickyreverb
    pickyreverb Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    https://www.pinterest.com/ldhildebrand/ I've got thousands of recipes saved on my Pinterest
  • Courtnee80
    Courtnee80 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My favorite website right now is
    Www.veggiesdontbite.com I've made tons from it and they always come out great. I've been vegetarian forever but just recently became vegan
  • numbersplusword
    numbersplusword Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest The Minimalist Baker blog. Just type it into google and she has soooo many recipes and they're all easy and they're all vegan as well!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Just give up red meat. Try that for a year first.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Be mindful to have balance in your diet I have seen a lot of vegetarians a vegans start off by trying to keep full on carbs and forgetting other important food groups can also be filling.... And try new things often, in the last few months I have found new tasty things that I haven't seen before

As for recipes there is pretty much a substitute for every recipe out there Google vegetarian [insert meat dish you like] recipe and more than likely you will find it. Just remember it's probably won't taste exactly the same but can be delicious in its own way
  • tazzylouise
    tazzylouise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for about a year. My favourite recipes were nachos! Corn chips, heat lentils & salsa on the stove, put on top, add cheese, microwave & guac on top. You can also put veggies in this too! :) I also love pumpkin ravioli!!

A tip for if you go vegan, most dry pasta is vegan! ☺
  • mindfulmama1977
    mindfulmama1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Youtube.com the zombie vegan ....amazing <3
  • eyeslikemoons
    eyeslikemoons Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pinterest! I find a lot on Instagram as well. A lot of people on there post pictures of delicious recipes and in the comment section will post in detail how to prep, what you need AS well as nutritional info. Its awesome! Just go on the app and search.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

I started with giving up red meat for thirty days. I ended up not eating it for fifteen years
  • zoe6724
    zoe6724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, I eat eggs and fish. My daily meals(I don't skimp on protein):
    An apple with peanut butter and two eggs, sometimes I add strawberries
    Quinoa with black beans and chopped baked yams
    Amy's organic lentil soup
    Tuna, almonds, baby carrots, sometimes made into a salad when I have time
    Nugo slim protein bar or dry roasted edamame or pumpkin seeds

On my days off I'll have either salmon or shrimp with asparagus for dinner instead of soup
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Think of your favorite meat-filled foods and look for vegetarian versions of them on google OR substitute the meat for tofu/tempeh/seitan/textured soy protein! Add a ton of spices!! YUM!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I started with giving up red meat for thirty days. I ended up not eating it for fifteen years

Same here, but for 12 years.

I eat red meat occasionally now.
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Pick an ingredient and YouTube it. Cauliflower, chick peas, black beans, avacado, rice, tofu, kale, tempeh. I think the most benifits come when you give up the processed vegetarian meals. I try new recipes every week multiple times. I get a baseline idea from YouTube and make the recipe mine from there. Just my 2 cents.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I would ask what are you looking for? It is very easy to cook Indian, Thai, various Chinese, Ethiopian, Italian and be vegetarian. But if this to your palate and you are looking for vegetarian versions typical meat and potatoes then that is not how I cook vegetarian (we are not vegetarian, but I'll cook 3-4 vegetarian meals per week) for my wife...
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I have found Pinterest to be a great source for vegan recipes. I am sure they have plenty of recipes for pescatarians also.

This. You're a pescatarian, not a vegetarian :) I don't do a lot of cooking, but there are these delicious vegetarian sausages. The brand is Field Roast, and they are definitely worth checking out. I also like Tofurkey, which I never thought I'd ever say! It's a lunch meat substitute. Cottage cheese is an excellent vegetarian source of protein. It's delicious mixed with a diced granny smith apple or with veggies like tomato, cucumbers or bell peppers.
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Forks over Knives has a lot of great options. I have just trying to be mostly but not total vegetarian so would like to join you. I was wondering about how others feel in this plan. I love vegetables and have been better with digestion since cutting back on fatty meats .
  • brala90
    brala90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Egg rice and beans are my staple