Either do this or die.

Options
txguy2
txguy2 Posts: 1 Member
I hit rock bottom the other night when I thought I was having a heat attack. I was really scared. I said to myself I have to make a change in eating habits. I think I got to the point I just didn't care anymore. After thinking about all I have to live for I decided to go on the internet and find a program easy to use and hopefully will work for me. I hope I have success with this plan. My Mom ate herself to death. I am afraid I am going to do the same. I am ready to make a change. It would be nice to have a friend for encouragement. Seems all my friends are skinny except me. Wish me luck!

Replies

• crystalpoczynek
    crystalpoczynek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Glad youre here!
  • sajones62
    sajones62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One day at a time!
  • fairylady1962
    fairylady1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi, you have made the first big step to losing the weight, getting healthier and not killing yourself by eating to much. MFP is great and easy to use. You can do this, feel free to add me
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi, Hate to say it but you don't need luck... you need patience and perseverance . this is a great place to start your new journey... PLEASE do not look at the number of lbs you want to lose... look at 1 pound at a time... all you want to do is lose 1 pound... once you lose that pound, then you want to lose another then another... its too easy to become discourage looking at the total... I need to lose 115 lbs total... i started the day after Xmas... my wife showed me a photo of myself with my great nephew sitting on my lap and i did not recognize the fat guy sitting in the chair, So here i am... i'm down 48.2 lbs as of this morning.... let me tell you, if this old fart can do so can you..i say that all the time but its true.... start by setting you current weight and your goal weight... how much weight you want to lose per week.. between .5 and 2 lbs ... then your activity level... MFP will set your calories for the day.... get yourself a good digital scale.... weigh your food... and log every single bite...stay within your calories... and move your body.... doesn't matter what you do ,just do more than your doing now... add to it each day, each week.
    i picked up a fitbit. best money i ever spent... i could barley hit the 10k recommended steps per day.. but i push myself each day to add more... happy to say 99 days later i hit 131,000 k this week, best day was just over 30k.

there is no magic potion or powders or pills.... its all about the calories... calories in vs calories burned.start slow... you need to be in it for the long haul(the rest of your life) i still eat pasta and bread and go out to eat but now i make better choices and portion control.. i never eat over my calories and i never eat back any calories gained form exercise (walking)..sorry for such a long post... i log on every day... i can't say i am much of a motivator...but if you need someone to talk to ..i'm here
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hello. Right there with you! When my doc said I had Type II diabetes, I wept with shame. Came here to MFP, lost 20 lbs, and saw so much improvement. Then lost all motivation and discipline, gained back 30 lbs! Like you I have so much to live for. So I'm back and determined to make this a new lifestyle. I'm a huge foodie so it will be hard, but not as hard as a stroke!!! You and I and everyone here can do it!
  • campinggirl888
    campinggirl888 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning and good luck. Hope you are getting through your first week OK. Hope you are adding a little walking to your routine now that the weather is getting better.
  • geraldinemce
    geraldinemce Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are starting to realise you need to change and that's the best step forward, add me if you wish and good luck
  • AliceinRealityLand
    AliceinRealityLand Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the exact same boat right now but with an actual illness that his weight didn't cause but adds stress to his body. He is currently living on oxygen unable to do anything but eat healthy. You CAN do this! We are doing it together here, and in spirit with you!

A wake up call is scary but a great motivator, no? The doctors told my husband to put a picture of the person/people he loves the most in the world (our children) and every time he is tempted to for example go to McDonald's for a big mac, pull the pic out and remind himself why he is doing this. Then order the salad. Etc.

I would say choose one item to cut out at a time. That is how I began 5 years ago. It has been slow for me mainly because I have a terrible stick to it-ness, but some stuck, and I am now adding more. I cut out soda first, and drinking diet bloats humans, so it's just a cut out except for a once in a great while treat. Also increases sugar cravings so it's just a great thing to get rid of. I drink water, unsweet tea or coffee with splenda. Just cutting out the TBSpoons of sugar I was in taking in coffee and tea alone made a huge difference.

I literally cut one item at a time and choose an exchange for it. I am the type if you take it all away at once, it will never last. But changing gradually sees good results on the scales (sometimes 1 lbs a week, sometimes 2, sometimes, less, but I always see a small difference) and feels less restrictive.
  • erinBpharmD247
    erinBpharmD247 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello from Maine! I wish you well in your journey! :)
  • freelingfree
    freelingfree Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Add me too!
  • Odiaa
    Odiaa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have health problems too and I have 200+ pounds to lose. I sent you a friend request, add me and we can do this together.
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi add me