Pullups

Options
One of my goals for the end of the year is to be able to do a pull up. I weight lift about 3 days a week for 15 minutes each day. Is this too little? I do tricep dips, bench presses, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, etc. Any advice?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Lat pulldowns and pull up negatives. Losing weight also helps.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Some options.

Negatives. Use a chair to get yourself in the to.position of the pull up. Slowly lower yourself down. Add sets of negatives to your regular work out.

Assistance bands. Wrap a resistance band around the bar and put your knee or foot in the band to help pulling up. You vary the strength of the band as you progres.

There's also the lat pull down machine.
  • Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's one of my goals too!

So far I've been doing them with resistance bands, I've been reading about negatives too so I might give those a go.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    None of the exercises you listed will help you do a pullup. As someone else mentioned, negatives are probably the most effective strategy. You can also look into band assisted pullups.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Negative pull-ups are the best way to start. Just stand on a chair or otherwise get into the top of the pull-up position and then very slowly lower yourself down over a 5 second count. Start with doing 3-5 if you can, just one or two sets. Take a day or two off between exercise days. Do this 3 times a week, then next week add a rep or two. You can start to do assisted pull-ups with a chair behind you (put a foot on the chair and try to use your own strength and assist with your leg as needed).

You'll be doing multiple pull-ups unassisted in no time! It's just consistency and persistence. Good luck!
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started focusing on increasing my deadlift weight, negatives, pull-ups with
    Bands, and using the assisted pull up machine. After a few months of these I got my first one!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One of my goals for the end of the year is to be able to do a pull up. I weight lift about 3 days a week for 15 minutes each day. Is this too little? I do tricep dips, bench presses, bicep curls, tricep kickbacks, etc. Any advice?

For one, I'd suggest a structured lifting program...15 minutes isn't much...a good program is going to take 45 - 60 minutes...a good program will help you get stronger overall.

As pull-ups go, do negatives and use resistance bands to do assisted pull-ups...start with a heavy band and work your way down to no assistance...and plenty of negatives.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite exercises in fact I am going to do a set right now, thank you for reminding me. And as for your goal...I applaud and full heartedly encourage you :smile:
    As the others have said, negatives are really good for starters and so is lat pull down with progressive weight increase. Another think you can do is hang from the bar for as long as you can or as you hang, shrug or pull just your shoulders downward. This will help with proper form later and build up your forearms.