Running in the evening..eat dinner before or after?

Options
Whats your opinion?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    after, i get sick if i eat before working out.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Definitely after for me.
    I feel sick and get stitches if I run when I'm full. And I find the thought of a big dinner later (and a hot shower) motivates me through the tricky parts pretty well.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    After. There is a change to throw your dinner up if you eat before
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Try it both ways. Do what works best for you.

Personally I can't run right after I eat a large meal. I need a couple hours to digest.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat after evening runs, but eat before forenoon runs. A lot will depend on what type of meal you eat.

The idea of an evening meal sitting in my stomach for my run wouldn't remotely appeal and has no training benefit.
  • loldiz
    loldiz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat large meals after running in the evening, but I generally have a snack (200cals or less) about an hour beforehand.

In the morning, I just get up and run, breakfast when I get back.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I usually run fasted first thing in the morning but if I miss my run I'll go out after work but before dinner. I find running with food in my stomach very uncomfortable (I have to wait at least 2-3 hrs after I eat to run)

Finding what works for you takes a little trial and error (hopefully there are no witnesses to the error.....)

• flowersofhelady
    flowersofhelady Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually eat with my kids at around 5pm and I run once they are in bed around 7.30 so plenty of time to digest it. Problem is i get hungry again after running and im not sure i can wait until 8 to 9 ish for my din dins lol. Snacking all evening defeats the object really. Have considered splitting my meal in 2. Half before half after then same calorie intake.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually eat with my kids at around 5pm and I run once they are in bed around 7.30 so plenty of time to digest it. Problem is i get hungry again after running and im not sure i can wait until 8 to 9 ish for my din dins lol. Snacking all evening defeats the object really. Have considered splitting my meal in 2. Half before half after then same calorie intake.

Having a post run snack in the evening defeats no purpose at all so long as you're hitting your calorie targets. Fueling for recovery is a thing...a pretty important thing.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've always run in the evening and it has to be after I've eaten, just because the family meal time is at a set time (for my kids benefit). I usually run about an hour or so after I've eaten.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Listen to others but decide for yourself. Experiment! Sometimes I eat entire meals DURING my run (and sometimes I run following a long fast) but I know that will not work for everyone. How tolerant is your gastrointestinal system?

If you feel adventurous I highly recommend you Google Krispy Kreme Challenge or Beer Mile.
  • magnusblikstad
    magnusblikstad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After. I don't like to do any cardio on a full stomach.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Listen to others but decide for yourself. Experiment! Sometimes I eat entire meals DURING my run (and sometimes I run following a long fast) but I know that will not work for everyone. How tolerant is your gastrointestinal system?

If you feel adventurous I highly recommend you Google Krispy Kreme Challenge or Beer Mile.

I seem to recall Dean Karnazes likes to eat Hawaiian pizza while running ultras.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I usually run after eating dinner. Regardless, I always eat before running. Running on an empty stomach makes me nauseous.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    After, no cardio on a full stomach
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I always eat after. One of my group runs meets at 6:30, so that leaves me eating dinner around 8:30 or 9 pm by the time I stop socializing and get home, but I'd rather eat late than run and feel sick!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I seem to recall Dean Karnazes likes to eat Hawaiian pizza while running ultras.

Yes! He would have pizza delivered to an intersection mid run and even had a technique for folding it. Timing might be the hardest part so I have considered ordering a pizza delivered to a 400m track (the same track where I already do my doughnut run training) so I can just run in ovals while I wait.

Everyone should read Dean's book
    http://www.ultramarathonman.com/web/
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I always have a small snack before, then eat my dinner after.