Creatine?

Options
Driagnor
Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice. At the moment I'm doing strength training 3 times a week, working on a 2 workout body split, with my weight set in the 6-10 rep range and cardio 3-4 of the other days. My main goal is to lose fat (currently sitting at about 34% body fat) but I'd like to build muscle as well.

Now I've heard that creatine is a great supplement and can help you push to do those extra couple of reps during your strenght training. However, I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate for my situation (newbie to strength training, fat loss is my primary goal, muscle building a secondary goal). If there's a bit of water retention at the start from taking it, that doesn't matter much to me - the scale weight isn't as important to me as body composition.

Can anyone offer any advice for this situation please?

Thanks
Steven

Replies

• Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Nobody know anything about this?
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    not sure if it helps but my friend uses it only for strength training, and he does no cardio. like you said, it gives him an extra push. i haven't tried it though and have no idea what it's like.
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    For some people creatine really helps others not so much. If you eat a lot of meat I doubt you will see much benefit from it.

If you are going to use it learn how to cycle on and off of it. You also do not need to do the loading weeks. Just a waste of money.

I am neither for not against it. I have used it and it made little diff to me.
  • mintin1
    mintin1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What about leucine? Leucine helps maintain and build muscle mass and lose the fat. It comes in my soy protein shakes?
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Creatine really only boosts your energy level. It doesn't do anything on its own that helps build muscle. You could use it to run a little farther, or stay up and study a little longer just as easily as you can use it to get in a few more sets. Just energy, what you do with it is up to you. You may or may not see significant results since everyone is different.

As to what its like, it feels kind of similar to being on a low dose of prednisone, except I don't want to chew people's heads like bubble gum.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I believe it's more for when you're trying to build muscle (i.e. eating a caloric surplus).
  • chairmanmoo
    Options
    Wait what? lol

um.........

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/creatine myths and_facts.htm

"2. Increases The Pump!

Creatine has been shown to super hydrate your muscles( cell volumization; it literally draws water into the muscle cells). This increases pumps dramatically! Even while on low carbs, creatine can help and maintain your pump in the weight room.

3. Increases The Reparation Process of Bodybuilding.

Muscle growth occurs, via a process known as the dehydration synthesis. What does this mean? The dehydration synthesis is the process in which larger molecules are formed. In this case we are referring to muscle protein. And this is also referred to, as of course protein synthesis.
    Consequently, many journals point, to creatine actually enhancing this."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

"Creatine supplements are sometimes used by athletes, bodybuilders, wrestlers and others who wish to gain muscle mass, typically consuming 2 to 3 times the amount that could be obtained from a very-high-protein diet. A survey of long-term use gives the creatine content of several foods.[12] The Mayo Clinic states that creatine has been associated with asthmatic symptoms and warns against consumption by persons with known allergies.[13]
    While there was once some concern that creatine supplementation could affect hydration status and heat tolerance and lead to muscle cramping and diarrhea, recent studies have shown these concerns to be unfounded.[14][15]
    There are reports of kidney damage with creatine use, such as interstitial nephritis; patients with kidney disease should avoid use of this supplement.[13] In similar manner, liver function may be altered, and caution is advised in those with underlying liver disease although studies have shown little or no adverse impact on kidney or liver function from oral creatine supplementation.[16]
    Long-term administration of large quantities of creatine is reported to increase the production of formaldehyde, which has the potential to cause serious unwanted side-effects. However, this risk is largely theoretical because urinary excretion of formaldehyde, even under heavy creatine supplementation, does not exceed normal limits.[17]
    Extensive research over the last decade has shown that oral creatine supplementation at a rate of 5 to 20 grams per day appears to be very safe and largely devoid of adverse side-effects,[18] while at the same time effectively improving the physiological response to resistance exercise, increasing the maximal force production of muscles in both men and women.[19][20]"

Lol i didn't expect "broscience" from a woman :)
  • fredrikla
    fredrikla Posts: 4
    Options
    Creatine will enhance your. If you do not respond to Creatine Monohydrate as 30% tend to no, go for the TriCratine Malate which will have definite effect. If your goal is to loose weight, your target is to get those muscles going. Part of your mental attitude would be a significant factor in your long term weight loss plan. Creatine in kombination of a strict diet as directed as guided by a day to day followup in myfitnesspal, will give you a great positive response that will definately trigger your use as directed - og Creatine.

Do also find your natural body type: Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph and search the web for the optimal combination percent carb, fat and protein. This can be adjusted in the settings in mFp.

Best of luck! :)

Fredrik