What's your motivation?

Everyone has something that makes them get serious about making a change in diet and exercise... What's yours?

Replies

• AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,523 Member
    I turned 50 and I don't want to be fat AND old!,
    What is your motivation?
  • sammijoy89
    sammijoy89 Posts: 10 Member
    I started having some alarming health consequences to putting on about 45lbs in the past several years. The weight itself was not necessarily the root of my issues, but it was a symptom of a huge problem-- really poor eating habits. The consequences were things like irregular heartbeat, fertility issues, chronic exhaustion, hair falling out, terrible skin, terrible acid reflux, chronic headaches, chronic constipation and just all around misery. I couldn't live like that anymore.

I also couldn't accept that I was teaching my kids by example that these choices were not harmful. My kids see me active, eating healthy foods, and truly living. My existence before I couldn't qualify as living my life. All of that physical pain resulted in depression and poor body image. I'm not "there" yet with my weight loss goals, but I'm only 7lbs away from my goal weight. Ideally I would lose a total of 12lbs, but the last 5lbs is really just vanity and not necessary for me to be physically healthy. I've promised myself I'd reevaluate when I get to my goal weight.
  • SarahsFitMess
    SarahsFitMess Posts: 261 Member
    I decided i wanted to be there for my nephew not just a story for my sister to tell
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    edited April 2016
    I realized I wasn't living in God's will for my life- I was treating my body horribly and I was miserable. I never wanted to socialize.
    That's how I found my motivation. I wanted to actually enjoy this beautiful life.
    In addition to choosing healthier foods, I quit smoking, cut way back on my drinking and started exercising 5-6 days a week. In six weeks I've lost 7 pounds and I already feel so much better.
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    My motivation is to be healthy again. I lost 90 lbs 4 years ago, kept it off for 2 years and I felt great, could wear clothes I wanted, and was happy about myself.
  • btrfly62010
    btrfly62010 Posts: 23 Member
    My motivation is to be healthy for my 5 year old. I don't want him to grow up with poor eating habits and being over weight. I'm also taking my son in his first cruise for his 6 th birthday I. June and I want to look good in a swimsuit. I've lost 33 and have 30 more to go. Started my journey right after thanksgiving. Any tips and ideas for busy lifestyle? Let's be friends. :) help each other out.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I was perfectly healthy except for being OBESE II. Then one day my dr told me that my HDL cholesterol was low and I decided to get perfectly healthy without being OBESE II, OBESE I, or OVERWEIGHT.
  • AR10at50
    I was perfectly healthy except for being OBESE II. Then one day my dr told me that my HDL cholesterol was low and I decided to get perfectly healthy without being OBESE II, OBESE I, or OVERWEIGHT.

Well, good for you for going the health way instead of pills! My buddy was fricken fat, but always "healthy"....we were jealous! FYI: for years I have taken krill oil, it is like fish oil, but better and I have some butt kicking HDL.
    Good Luck and glad you are here!
    Karen in CA
  • Journey2Lose75lbs
    Journey2Lose75lbs Posts: 18 Member
    I don't want to pay the extra $10 to ride a Clydesdale this summer, while the rest of my family gets a regular horse! And then I'm tired of the lower back pain and sleepless nights from all the tossing and turning...
  • ClarrissaN
    ClarrissaN Posts: 75 Member
    I moved to the beach at the end of last summer and I want to be comfortable at the beach this summer!
  • AR10at50
    I don't want to pay the extra $10 to ride a Clydesdale this summer, while the rest of my family gets a regular horse! And then I'm tired of the lower back pain and sleepless nights from all the tossing and turning...

But have you heard that Clydesdales make your butt look smaller? Just kidding! Good luck!
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    The truth is my motivation!