Will 50lbs weightloss make a difference?

Options

Hi all my starting weight was 246lbs and I'm going to see friends in a few months (I haven't seen them in over a year) and I am on track to lose 50lbs before then. I'm 5'6 and hold most of my weight in my thighs and hips. When I see them I want them to notice a physical difference in me so my question is Will 50lbs weightloss make a difference?
Im currently 34lbs down and no one I see daily have noticed a difference. And neither have I

Replies

• wvmark41
    wvmark41 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes. They'll notice. It may not appear to be 50 lbs, but they'll notice. I had to lose nearly 25 lbs before anyone asked, "Hey are you losing weight?" Keep going. They'll notice and it will feel good. :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Yep, there should be a difference ... and you'll notice a difference in what you can do too.

BTW - I had lost 15 kg (33 lbs) before anyone noticed, and then only 1 person did ... and probably another 5 kg before the rest of the office finally noticed.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    They will probably notice, but they may not say anything. People are sometimes reluctant to comment on weight (even good things, like weight loss) because it's a topic that many people are sensitive about. Personally, I love it when people say "Have you lost weight? You look great!". But some people hear that and think, "Did I look bad before?" So if they don't say anything, don't assume that they haven't noticed. They just might not be sure if they should bring it up.

If you're happy and confident in the way you look and how you're progressing, that's all that matters.

PS--Congrats on your weight loss!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They may or may not notice a difference. A year is a long time to remember how big a person is or isn't, visually. By that I mean that I will remember that somebody is underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese but I'm not going to be able to necessarily remember just where she is within that range.

Anyway, don't get caught up in whether or not your friends will notice. It doesn't matter in the end and you could be setting yourself up for disappointment if nobody says anything about your loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi all my starting weight was 246lbs and I'm going to see friends in a few months (I haven't seen them in over a year) and I am on track to lose 50lbs before then. I'm 5'6 and hold most of my weight in my thighs and hips. When I see them I want them to notice a physical difference in me so my question is Will 50lbs weightloss make a difference?
    Im currently 34lbs down and no one I see daily have noticed a difference. And neither have I

Because you and your daily acquaintances see you daily, your loss is hard to notice. Your friends you haven't seen will definitely notice. Like others have said, they may or may not comment.

Are you taking progress pictures? That will help you see a difference. I am down 36 pounds myself and don't feel different.* I need to take a new set of pictures.

* Well, I do feel thinner when my pants get too big. But then when I start wearing new ones that fit, I stop feeling different.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, another 50lbs down from where you are should be noticeable.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Most likely, yes, it would be noticeable. However, are you losing the weight for yourself or to just fish for compliments? Sometimes people won't comment on weight loss because it can be a touchy subject for some. So don't go into this thinking they're going to see you and be "OMG! you look fabulous! You've lost sooo much weight!" Because they might not.

But generally, yes, 50 lbs would be noticeable for most people.
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Yeah, another 50lbs down from where you are should be noticeable.

Haha I was hoping fifty pounds all together would make a difference I don't think I can lose over eighty pounds before then
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I say yes. That's a huge amount of weight. I am barely 5 ft, but I have lost 50 lbs and I dropped 3-4 pant sizes, 2 shirt sizes, gained a lot of muscle as well.
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Way to go on your weightloss!! That's wonderful. :smiley:

As others have said, people you see every day may not notice your decrease in size - nor may you - but those who've not seen you for quite a while probably will. Some people may not say anything, again, as others have said, because some people are afraid to say anything, but if anyone asks how you are, you could always say that you've made lifestyle changes & have lost weight, & that'll free them up to say anything if you want them to.

Like Ninkyou asked, are you doing this for your own health & well being or so that others notice? I get the feeling that you're doing it for you, which is exactly why you should be. Having said that, it's always great when people notice, though, isn't it? :smiley:

Again, well done on all your hard work & on your loss!! :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    People who see you all the time will probably not notice anything. Heck I never noticed anything either until I tried to put my old clothes on or saw old pictures.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    No one really noticed my lose at 30 pounds either. Similar stats too, I started at 250. Once I got down to 200 yes, people started noticing.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My face always shows weight loss (more defined cheekbones, jawline, ...) when losing. At 50 lbs. that will be VERY obvious. BUT your friends are your friends because of who you are, not your dress size! So they didn't and don't care about anything about your spirit! I'm sure they want you to be happy and healthy, but please remember - your value to them had nothing to do with 50 or 100 lbs!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    And buy a great new outfit to help show off!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The more you have to lose, the less noticeable it is. The closer you get to overweight from obese, people will start to notice.

But really, who cares?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    The more you have to lose, the less noticeable it is. The closer you get to overweight from obese, people will start to notice.

But really, who cares?

Exactly. It's nice to get the compliments, but that shouldn't be the focus of one's journey.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    50 pounds from 246 should be noticeable. That's where I began my journey, too. I'm only about 34 into it, but I'm down two sizes. I'm sure you are probably similar, so they'll notice...especially when you get yourself a cute outfit that flatters you!
  • h0ezay
    h0ezay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    .Brpecially when you get yourself a cute outfit that flatters you![/mm h]

Mm in
    I say yes. That's a huge amount of weight. I am barely 5 ft, but I have lost 50 lbs and I dropped 3-4 pant sizes, 2 shirt siSizes km loopzes, gained a lot of muscle as well.

Bbb
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :)