Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

need help

2»

Replies

  • ndj1979ndj1979 Member Posts: 29,148 Member Member Posts: 29,148 Member
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.

    What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.

    another reason one should never get nutrition advice from dr oz...

  • ndj1979ndj1979 Member Posts: 29,148 Member Member Posts: 29,148 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)

    First rule of the gaining forumlife is ignore dr oz

    Fify.


    Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

    ha!

    Ok?

    I was laughing at his correction ....
  • mightymikemilocatomightymikemilocato Member Posts: 21 Member Member Posts: 21 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)

    First rule of the gaining forumlife is ignore dr oz

    Fify.


    Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

    ha!

    Ok?

    He was laughing at my correction to his statement.


    If you get heartburn from going to bed shortly after eating, that is a good reason to not eat a few hours before bed. But your metabolism is on a 24 hour loop and can effectively process calories regardless of time of day.
    I d rather not but good to know. Thanks
  • ndj1979ndj1979 Member Posts: 29,148 Member Member Posts: 29,148 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)

    First rule of the gaining forumlife is ignore dr oz

    Fify.


    Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

    ha!

    Ok?

    He was laughing at my correction to his statement.


    If you get heartburn from going to bed shortly after eating, that is a good reason to not eat a few hours before bed. But your metabolism is on a 24 hour loop and can effectively process calories regardless of time of day.
    I d rather not but good to know. Thanks

    rather not what?
  • mightymikemilocatomightymikemilocato Member Posts: 21 Member Member Posts: 21 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.

    What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.

    another reason one should never get nutrition advice from dr oz...

    Oh he is a real ER Dr though
  • mightymikemilocatomightymikemilocato Member Posts: 21 Member Member Posts: 21 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)

    First rule of the gaining forumlife is ignore dr oz

    Fify.


    Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

    ha!

    Ok?

    He was laughing at my correction to his statement.


    If you get heartburn from going to bed shortly after eating, that is a good reason to not eat a few hours before bed. But your metabolism is on a 24 hour loop and can effectively process calories regardless of time of day.
    I d rather not but good to know. Thanks

    rather not what?

    Eat to late,don't want to take any chances on it. So i start at 6am-9pm
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,680 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,680 MFP Moderator
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)

    First rule of the gaining forumlife is ignore dr oz

    Fify.


    Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

    ha!

    Ok?

    He was laughing at my correction to his statement.


    If you get heartburn from going to bed shortly after eating, that is a good reason to not eat a few hours before bed. But your metabolism is on a 24 hour loop and can effectively process calories regardless of time of day.
    I d rather not but good to know. Thanks

    rather not what?

    Eat to late,don't want to take any chances on it. So i start at 6am-9pm

    But the thing is, there is NO science to back the claim. Many of our most fit and most lean members are late eaters. Your body functions run on a 24 hour loop. It equally digest foods and runs your autonomic functions are the same time.


    The reason why dr oz and some will suggest it, is because it's one way to try to limit calorie intake. Unfortunately, total calories a day, not timing or frequency is what drives results.
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,680 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,680 MFP Moderator
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.

    What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.

    another reason one should never get nutrition advice from dr oz...

    Oh he is a real ER Dr though

    Yea, he is a good cardiothoracic surgeon. But like all things, specialties matter. And his specialty is NOT nutrition.
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.


    What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.

    another reason one should never get nutrition advice from dr oz...

    Oh he is a real ER Dr though

    I'm not sure you understand the point of these forums. What we're discussing is how it isn't bad or unhealthy to eat right up until you go to bed. If you're experiencing heart burn when you go to bed it could be because a sphincter may not be closing properly allowing stomach acid to splash up into your esophagus.

    But yes he is a doctor, unfortunately though he isn't a nutritionist. As another poster said, many of the leaner and fit people on here eat up until bed. One because we have to, two because it's not extremely common to experience issues with it. It's unfortunate that you experience acid reflux, if I were you I'd speak to my family doctor to find out if you could take any preventative actions.
    edited April 2016
  • mightymikemilocatomightymikemilocato Member Posts: 21 Member Member Posts: 21 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)

    First rule of the gaining forumlife is ignore dr oz

    Fify.


    Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

    ha!

    Ok?

    He was laughing at my correction to his statement.


    If you get heartburn from going to bed shortly after eating, that is a good reason to not eat a few hours before bed. But your metabolism is on a 24 hour loop and can effectively process calories regardless of time of day.
    I d rather not but good to know. Thanks

    rather not what?

    Eat to late,don't want to take any chances on it. So i start at 6am-9pm

    But the thing is, there is NO science to back the claim. Many of our most fit and most lean members are late eaters. Your body functions run on a 24 hour loop. It equally digest foods and runs your autonomic functions are the same time.


    The reason why dr oz and some will suggest it, is because it's one way to try to limit calorie intake. Unfortunately, total calories a day, not timing or frequency is what drives results.

    Ok thanks
  • mightymikemilocatomightymikemilocato Member Posts: 21 Member Member Posts: 21 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.

    What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.

    another reason one should never get nutrition advice from dr oz...

    Oh he is a real ER Dr though

    Yea, he is a good cardiothoracic surgeon. But like all things, specialties matter. And his specialty is NOT nutrition.

    Ok thanks
  • mightymikemilocatomightymikemilocato Member Posts: 21 Member Member Posts: 21 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.


    What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.

    another reason one should never get nutrition advice from dr oz...

    Oh he is a real ER Dr though

    I'm not sure you understand the point of these forums. What we're discussing is how it isn't bad or unhealthy to eat right up until you go to bed. If you're experiencing heart burn when you go to bed it could be because a sphincter may not be closing properly allowing stomach acid to splash up into your esophagus.

    But yes he is a doctor, unfortunately though he isn't a nutritionist. As another poster said, many of the leaner and fit people on here eat up until bed. One because we have to, two because it's not extremely common to experience issues with it. It's unfortunate that you experience acid reflux, if I were you I'd speak to my family doctor to find out if you could take any preventative actions.

    Have a family Dr who suggested I not eat at that time as well. My question was for someone to give help on gaining-not replying with lectures on Dr Oz. Lmbo I understand your point and prefer not to constantly reply if its not a suggested meal,workouts etc on how I can increase my appetite and calories other than eating all night long. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.


    What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.

    another reason one should never get nutrition advice from dr oz...

    Oh he is a real ER Dr though

    I'm not sure you understand the point of these forums. What we're discussing is how it isn't bad or unhealthy to eat right up until you go to bed. If you're experiencing heart burn when you go to bed it could be because a sphincter may not be closing properly allowing stomach acid to splash up into your esophagus.

    But yes he is a doctor, unfortunately though he isn't a nutritionist. As another poster said, many of the leaner and fit people on here eat up until bed. One because we have to, two because it's not extremely common to experience issues with it. It's unfortunate that you experience acid reflux, if I were you I'd speak to my family doctor to find out if you could take any preventative actions.

    Have a family Dr who suggested I not eat at that time as well. My question was for someone to give help on gaining-not replying with lectures on Dr Oz. Lmbo I understand your point and prefer not to constantly reply if its not a suggested meal,workouts etc on how I can increase my appetite and calories other than eating all night long. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

    Workouts won't do a whole lot to increase your overall appetite. They will help a bit, but will have to be fairly strenuous. As for high calorie meals. Avocados, fatty cuts of meat, nuts(almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts), nut butters, whole fat milk 3.25-3.9%, wild/black rice, olive oil, high carb fruits(check glycemic index of you are worried about insulin spikes), oatmeal lots of it, ground flax seed, chia seeds, whole wheat wraps, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus, granola(not the bars), whey protein concentrate(if you have trouble hitting your protein goals, concentrate is a better option in regards to health), plenty of green vegetables(spinach, kale, etc), beans if you're a fan, eggs or just egg whites(if you're concerned for added cholesterol), skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs if you want a bit more flavour.

    My favourite weight gainer shake:
    -1.5 cups whole fat milk
    -1 scoop whey protein (approx. 28g)
    -.5 cups of oatmeal
    -2-3tbsp of gainzbutter
    -1 banana
    -1 cup of spinach
    -3tbsp ground flax seed
    -.5 cup of berries
    Approximately 1000 calories a serving. The reason I advocate eating at night is even though I generally have two of these shakes a day, I still have incredible troubles hitting my daily surplus, especially after a 9 hour work day full of physical activity. Which respectable increases my intake to almost 4000 calories a day. That is my knowledge, it's how I've learned to gain. Also, if you're full. Keep eating, bulking is about eating even when you're not hungry. Hopefully that helps.
  • jessef593jessef593 Member Posts: 2,281 Member Member Posts: 2,281 Member
    The reason you were getting those sort of replies is because of the way you were going about replying to others. We've spent years learning how to lose and gain effectively, and if you come in instantly shutting down others opinions and ideas. Then yes, as a community people will mostlikely not give you any useful advice. There are a lot of different opinions on here, the way to make it all work is to keep an open mind to everything that people have to offer, except for bro science claims.
Sign In or Register to comment.