NEED HELP

Options
I don't really know what is healthy to eat.... Can anyone help me?

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you already do just less. Make sure to weigh solids on a scale and measure liquids in measuring cups. I still eat everything I ate before and I have lost 40 lbs in the last year. Make sure to keep protein and healthy fats up so you don't get too hungry. I have found this to help me a lot. Obviously eating better helps which includes fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean meats. I still eat hot dogs and cheeseburgers I just make them fit my cal goals.
  • gmath1976
    gmath1976 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can help, what is your goal?
  • kgj4105
    kgj4105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, less processed food is better. There's the stuff that's obviously 'bad' - deep fried potato products, cookies, candy bars, milkshakes from fast food joints... and then things that aren't really bad but aren't the best for you based on nutritional content - red meat tends to be higher in fat than something like chicken, whole milk (surprise) has more fat and calories than nonfat milk...

Ideally, I can stick to fresh fruits and veggies (canned or frozen stuff is perfectly acceptable for me given that there's no added sweetener) for snacks and meals that I prepare myself otherwise - ie, the rice and chicken stir fry I make myself is a lot better for me than a frozen entree I pick up at the grocery store, or a takeaway order from a chinese restaurant. I like to know what's in my food, and stuff I eat that I make myself tends to be a lot more satisfying than a premade meal or 100cal snack pack of whatever.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    IMO, there are no "bad" foods. You don't need to avoid anything unless there's a medical necessity/allergy to do so. You can eat whatever you want. Just practice moderation and fit it into your calorie goal. Eat in a way that is sustainable for you in the long term. Ask yourself if you're really going to give up X food for the rest of your life. Are oyu going to avoid family outings and holidays because there will be food you "can't" eat? If the answer is no, then don't avoid those things. Plan ahead for them, log them, try to fit them into your calorie goal. It's mostly about balance. Of course, things like lean meats and vegetables are going to give you low calorie amounts and will probably go a long way as far as keeping you full. I like to focus on protein, fat & fiber to keep me fuller longer. But I also have dessert daily. Moderation, balance, fits in my goals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

That's a big question depending on your goal, preferences, tastes, schedule, any medical issues, etc. We could spend all day just trying to list healthy foods and we wouldn't even be addressing the big important stuff.

A healthy diet is one that meets your calorie goals and nutrition needs. How you get there varies from person to person. You can start by logging your food now to see what you may need to address and then make changes once you're armed with that information.

Just for fun, I tried to make a list of everything you could eat while dieting. It didn't go well: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10190957/help-what-can-i-eat/p1
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    complex carbs, fruits and vegetables, lean proteins. Quick google search will give you examples of each. Everything in moderation and within your goals.
  • rachelregalado16
    rachelregalado16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Look into vegetarianism, or veganism.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

For any particular reason?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Meat, cheese, eggs, vegetables, coconut oil, Kerrygold butter, Almond butter.....
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options

There are plenty of omnivores who are healthy. Life is balance! 80/20 is the best.
  • afigirl86
    afigirl86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Easy way to think about it is try to go for more fresh fruit and veggies than fast food or processed. I try to eat smaller meals and eat more fruit and veggies. When you over think it that's when you sabotage yourself. I allow my self that slice of pizza (or 2) but I add a small side salad and I don't order a large pizza. I love my carbs so I measure out what I can have before I cook so I don't have the chance to over eat. Try new veggies and see what you like. Pinterest is great for finding new recipes. Don't be afraid of the kitchen either. Make a list of the fruits/veggies you like and buy those. Hope this is a little helpful.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This is a simple tool to use instead of more complicated guidelines:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Try to up your vegetables, and fruit a little. You will find that as you try to fit your calorie goals on MFP, you will be automatically "nuged" in the right direction. You will see people posting on here with new recipes and ideas and you can try some of that. You have to eat high calorie food in moderation. A little of everything is also a good idea.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    moderation is the spice of life.